Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 275  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 356132 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #3550 on: June 01, 2022, 04:06:44 am »

No. Would be incredibly interesting if true, but may not be

I see. Do you have any guesses why that happens?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: June 01, 2022, 04:44:21 am »

Mh, if the network is learning language in a totally opaque way, I wouldn't be too surprirsed if it also has interpretations for gibberish words, that could just naturally happen given whatever datastructure it uses. So the "Apoploe vesrreaitais" -> birds thing doesn't surprise me too much. But I don't get why it can't just do language properly since it does understand prompts. If I didn't know that it can't do text, I wouldn't have predicted a problem there.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: June 01, 2022, 06:18:00 am »

so the conference is going on and everyone is going over time. Seems silly to be the only one who doesn't go over time so I guess I'll aim for 8 minutes or something

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: June 01, 2022, 09:36:32 am »

O LORD
THOU KNOWEST THAT THOU DOES AS THOU WILT
LET THEN THY WILL BE DONE IN ME
A SINNER
FOR BLESSED ART THOU
UNTO THE AGES

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: June 01, 2022, 09:37:56 am »

Relatedly, my sister has now fully completed her transition from left wing liberal atheist over ultra woke atheist to newly reformed liberal Christian to hardcore traditional conservative christian who cares more about the afterlife than the here and now

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: June 01, 2022, 09:40:10 am »

Also anti-vax conspiracy theorist trump supporter big lie supporter... the whole package

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: June 01, 2022, 09:51:15 am »

She actually said that happiness is overrated because the afterlife is so much more important than the normal life, which in fairness is quite rational given her beliefs!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: June 01, 2022, 11:29:16 am »

Why do so many of these people have shitty sound? All you need is an ~80$ headset and your sound is perfectly fine

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: June 02, 2022, 02:51:50 am »

woo it's done! Presentation over! and it went alright! I think.

maybe I can finally get to consciousness again. This last  month sucked with the illness and motivational low and everything

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: June 02, 2022, 02:53:10 am »

probably the presentation had an annealing effect since my brain entered a high energy state and in fact I do feel better rn

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: June 03, 2022, 05:34:52 am »

Something weird humans do: if you draw an analogy between yourself and person X on some aspect Y, they will automatically assume you're not really restricted to Y. It doesn't seem possible to mention that you share a trait with Jesus or Einstein or whatever without raising eyebrows.

Btw I'm a vegetarian, just like Hitler was!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: June 03, 2022, 05:58:02 am »

And an Open Individualist like Einstein!

...supposedly. People have claimed this, but I couldn't find a source for it. Although I could find a source for Schrödinger.

Also seems like if you talk about beliefs, then it's socially accepted after all. "I believe in the value of mystery, just like Einstein!". Probably because now you're invoking the figure as an authority. But you're not allowed to compare character traits, like your affinity to numbers or whatever.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3562 on: June 03, 2022, 06:52:21 am »

And an Open Individualist like Einstein!

...supposedly. People have claimed this, but I couldn't find a source for it. Although I could find a source for Schrödinger.

Also seems like if you talk about beliefs, then it's socially accepted after all. "I believe in the value of mystery, just like Einstein!". Probably because now you're invoking the figure as an authority. But you're not allowed to compare character traits, like your affinity to numbers or whatever.

It's normally weird to compare character traits with a respected figure like Einstein, because it sounds like you're bragging about your character trait. However, if there's any reason why it wouldn't just sound like you're bragging, it would probably be allowed. For example, if you're gay, you could probably say that you have that in common with Alan Turing and people would think that's a completely normal thing to say, because it's more likely you're saying that to raise awareness about historically important gay people than to brag about your sexuality.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: June 03, 2022, 07:10:11 am »

Ya that seems exactly right

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: June 03, 2022, 07:16:58 am »

"So I'm just feeling depressed recently. Even though there's nothing ostensibly wrong with my life, everything just feels inadequate. Pleasures are fleeting, motivation is low. Every obligation feels like a chore, and all I want is to get back to distractions, even though they don't bring me real joy. There is a sense of emptiness and lack of meaning hovering above everything. Even when things go well for a time, it feels like they're really going nowhere. What should I do?"

"Ah, you should sit still for a solid hour before bed, doing nothing. That will fix things!"

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: June 03, 2022, 08:35:51 am »

One funny aspect about the lookout thing is that back then we tried to play test this and I played against SCSN. I bought double lookout, he bought double amb, we played, he narrowly won. This should have been interpreted as evidence that lookout is better! After all, he was much better than me at the game at that point, and his ambs didn't collide. But it wasn't interpreted that way.

At least this is how it happened according to my memory.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: June 03, 2022, 08:37:09 am »

I bet lookout/amb was correct there. get additional power with 0% of the terminal downside.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: June 03, 2022, 10:52:58 am »

Reading the paper about Integrated Information Theory. it motivates the theory with two thought experiments.

(1) Imagine a photodiode detecting whether a screen is on or off, and compare it to a human. The photodiode only differentiates two states, the human many states; this is the key difference between both systems. Hence amount of information is what counts.

(2) Imagine a camera looking at a screen. The camera is arguably sensitive to the full information; any pixel changed on the screen will change how the camera reacts. But it doesn't integrate this information; you could separate the camera in one subsystem per pixel and nothing would change. Hence integrated Information is what counts.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: June 03, 2022, 10:55:58 am »

To me, both of these seem like reductio ad absurdums of the idea.

(1) do you really think that if you progressively make the system more complicated so as to differentiate more states, it progressively gets more conscious?

(2) do you really think that doing something with the information will make it retroactively conscious?

The second one in particular feels intuitively obvious. As always, it comes down to the Binding problem. If you assume a reality compiler that draws a box around all computations that are done with the pixels, maybe this sounds plausible. But this is skipping the most important step. If you approach the theory from the perspective of how it solves binding, it's just a non-starter. Its solution is causality, which doesn't work at all.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: June 03, 2022, 10:58:16 am »

By contrast, you discriminate among a vast repertoire of states as an integrated system, one that cannot be broken
down into independent components each with its own separate repertoire. Phenomenologically, every experience is an integrated whole, one that means what it means by virtue of being one, and that is experienced from a single point of view. For example, the experience of a red square cannot be decomposed into the separate experience of red and the separate experience of a square.

Mostly a separate point, but I believe the last sentence is also plain false since exactly this kind of thing can happen on psychedelics; you can perceive redness and squareness separately even though they originate from the same object.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: June 03, 2022, 04:28:08 pm »

So I've been watching the Resident Evil movies on Netflix becuase why not, and it's pretty incredible how each is so much more stupid than the one before. The first was only a little stupid, the second was significantly stupid, the third was majorly stupid, and the forth is already incredibly stupid after the first 20 minutes. If they can keep this up, the sixth should be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I'm legit curious.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: June 03, 2022, 04:42:34 pm »

Things I have learned from watching these movies

- The moral status of a person is determined by their attractiveness. A covered face makes you incredibly unattractive and thus morally worthless

- Moral status will reliably give you incredible luck, so in combination with point 1, this means that managing your appearance is of the utmost importance for survival.

- Jorah Mormond makes a great mad scientist

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: June 03, 2022, 04:44:16 pm »

I can't even say that the movies are well acted. But the music is good.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: June 03, 2022, 04:53:46 pm »

Serious computer game vibes

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: June 03, 2022, 05:07:20 pm »

let's take a moment of empathy for actors whose job it is to do their best regardless of how bad the script is
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 275  All

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 16 queries.