Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 275  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 355888 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #2425 on: January 21, 2022, 04:04:15 pm »

Something I do not get is missing subtitles on Netflix. Providing those has got to be cheap enough to be worth it. This movie doesn't have English subtitles even though English is the original language. I know most people in German have terrible enough taste to prefer German subtitles over the ones in original language, but my preference isn't that rare.

And the English subtitles probably literally exist, they're just choosing not to deploy them. At worst, they'd have to rip the subs from a pirate release and have someone watch it on like 2x speed to make sure they aren't getting trolled, because unlike fan translations, I don't think a simple transcription has any of the pirates' copyrightable creative work in it.

Why would they do that?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: January 21, 2022, 04:34:07 pm »

This is what I mean when I say I'm not that hard to please. This movie is not super good, I just like weird horror things. As long as it's not offensively stupid.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: January 21, 2022, 05:22:00 pm »

I rate this 5/10 and predict an IMDB rating of 5.4

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: January 21, 2022, 05:22:23 pm »

5.8. Not bad.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: January 21, 2022, 05:27:55 pm »

This movie is going to get worse the more I think about it. As a good Bayesian I'm going to update all at once and lower my score to a 3/10

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: January 21, 2022, 05:45:53 pm »

Something which this movie did horrendously poorly is time jumps. It really feels like the characters have been in the situation for a few hours at most, like the viewer, not the entire 8 days that supposedly passed. Even good movies screw up there sometimes, though not as badly.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: January 21, 2022, 05:46:28 pm »

more like 40 days actually

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: January 21, 2022, 05:57:14 pm »

the #1 movie in getting worse after I've watched it is The Great Gatsby. It has all of this fascinating symolism, and halfways in I probably would have predicted an 8/10 or something. But by the end, you realize that zero of it meant anything and in fact it just tells a super straight forward romance story with zero depth. All the symbolism was just utter BS. I think I have it at a 3.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2433 on: January 22, 2022, 12:47:07 am »

Why would they do that?

You mean choose not to deploy subs they probably have? My best guess is that they don't have the rights to distribute the movie in any primarily English-speaking countries, and if they got sued for distributing it to people using VPNs and such, it could help their case somewhat if they weren't distributing an English subtitle. But I'm not very confident in that guess, they could just be lazy too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: January 22, 2022, 05:48:24 am »

Currently, the first post in my sequence on what I currently call phenomenological reductionism is fiction. Fiction has the advantage that it take until the end of the post to understand what the point was, which is good because then people who don't like the point will have been tricked into reading the entire argument anyway. It has the further advantage of more effectively forcing the reader to entertain thought experiments because now they affect characters which they have hopefully built a connection with, even if it's not a strong one. If I'm good enough, it may have the third advantage of being more entertaining.

I'm considering making "The One True Principle That Is All You Need To Get Wrong About Philosophy" (thinking you're special) also into fiction. One story for each area.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: January 22, 2022, 05:53:26 am »

Convincing a community of extremely smart people that the writing which it is centered around is philosophically confused is such a hard thing to do that a priori, only attempts that think outside the box should even be considered. Anything predictable will be futile from the start; if my sequence begins with "here are ten reasons why moral realism is true", then I may as well not write it.

Ideally, you take the reader by the hand and slowly walk them through a sequence of arguments that they all agree with. And then suddenly, bam, you show them how this leads to a surprising conclusion. That way, it is much harder to reject the conclusion for all the reasons they want to reject a conclusion that contradicts both their world view and the sequences

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: January 22, 2022, 05:55:47 am »

And the arguments have to be something they haven't heard before.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: January 22, 2022, 06:01:32 am »

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

I just realized for the first time that there is also a grammar error in this. This makes it even better.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: January 22, 2022, 06:03:14 am »

The problem with a fictionalized The One True Principle is that you have to anthropomorphize objects to have characters to tell fiction, or at least this is the most obvious way to do it, but anthropmorphization is kind of part of the problem.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: January 22, 2022, 06:10:46 am »

Perhaps the most noticeable feature about rereading the Sequences is how high entropy they are. T hey never made the point I expected unless I remembered it from when I read it the first time.

... e.g., when it comes to science, at least part of me expected posts about how great science is. Instead, they were about how caring about science for itself is just another failure mode, and all of the problems with institutionalized science

when it came to cults, I was really stupid enough to expect a reason why LessWrong, of course, is not a cult. Instead, EY wrote  Every Cause Wants To Be A Cult and that there is no way to avoid it except constant vigilance

And when it came to words, I wanted to read how words don't have intrinsic meanings but are just definitions, and instead it was all about how words shape your thinking in deep and fundamental ways and thus it's really important which words you use.

This is an important lesson. To be persuasive, at least when talking to people who aren't idiots, be surprising. Maybe even when talking to people who are idiots. Trump was also plenty surprising...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: January 22, 2022, 07:06:52 am »

I still own my My Little Pony bedsheets. I'm not saying they're magic, I'm just saying they're objectively the most high quality sheets I have. Zipper works much better than buttons and there are no rips in the fabric so far

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: January 22, 2022, 07:52:57 am »

Usually, the effect of having written a post is that I know have an idea of how I should have written a post. Then I throw it away and write the post

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: January 22, 2022, 09:08:27 am »

Very Cool channel on science stuff

I have enormous appreciation for high quality explanations.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: January 22, 2022, 09:55:30 am »

This movie is going to get worse the more I think about it. As a good Bayesian I'm going to update all at once and lower my score to a 3/10

Let's make that 2/10. Quite shallow and unnecessarily unsatisfying in retrospect.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: January 22, 2022, 11:33:14 am »

As someone who used to think climate change was the only issue that mattered in the world, I have developed a chronic dislike of leaving the water boiler on after the water reached the boiling point (have to painfully suppress the urge to do anything when I'm with others to not be socially weird), and also of using more water than is necessary. Other people generally just put a lot in, heat it, and then only use like half. Sinful behavior, I know.

I don't always want to go through the trouble of filling the water into the can first, but the water boiler has no markers indicating where it is one liter (which is exactly how much fits into the can). So I did the reasonable thing, which is train myself to know exactly how much one liter is.

However, instead of mastering this skill, I instead developed a habit of caution. Just put in a safe lower bound, that way I will never have to throw it away. Only when I consciously correct for this do I avoid it -- and when I do, my estimate does, indeed, tend to be quite good.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: January 22, 2022, 11:35:59 am »

Relatedly (?), humans are evolutionarily trained to underestimate the time needed for approaching objects to reach them (because a systematic underestimate leads to fewer attempts of taking too little time). You can, in fact, notice this when you cross the road at a place where cars don't wait; you always make it far more easily than your instinct tells you.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: January 22, 2022, 11:36:51 am »

So anyway I've decided to screw any more network theory at least for now and do game theory instead. Much more interesting.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2447 on: January 22, 2022, 02:20:58 pm »

As someone who used to think climate change was the only issue that mattered in the world, I have developed a chronic dislike of leaving the water boiler on after the water reached the boiling point (have to painfully suppress the urge to do anything when I'm with others to not be socially weird), and also of using more water than is necessary.

It's socially weird to do this? I always turn off the water boiler manually before it reaches the raging torrent stage (also known as 100 °C), which is undesirable for tea, and I hardly ever need the water boiler for any other purpose. And as far as I can tell, nobody has ever expressed finding it weird that I do that. It also takes way longer for no benefit to heat up like a liter of water if I only need one or two cups, so I avoid that as well.

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: January 22, 2022, 03:50:27 pm »

i didn't mean not doing it myself, I meant not interfering when other people leave it on for too long. I have to suppress the urge to turn it off myself.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: January 22, 2022, 04:10:44 pm »

I think I just need to take the stupidity of all these "crypto is a ponzi scheme and NFT's are a scam lol" people to my advantage and get rich off of crypto
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 275  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.