Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 275  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 356188 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #1625 on: November 05, 2021, 04:59:48 pm »

Like for example, Saya no Uta is very gross, and it's excellent. It's not that it's excellent because it's gross, but it's excellent because you can fully appreciate the different characters' perspectives and the twisted beauty of their relationships, which it couldn't achieve if it didn't make you feel gross.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: November 05, 2021, 05:13:22 pm »

Go for terror. If you can't manage terror, go for horror. If you can't manage horror, go for gross.

-- A possibly misremembered Stephan King quote

even if that were true though, this show manages terror, it doesn't need to go lower

I just hope it doesn't have some incredibly stupid ending right now this is like 8/10 or better

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: November 05, 2021, 05:15:03 pm »

Like for example, Saya no Uta is very gross, and it's excellent. It's not that it's excellent because it's gross, but it's excellent because you can fully appreciate the different characters' perspectives and the twisted beauty of their relationships, which it couldn't achieve if it didn't make you feel gross.

If I say gross, I mean literally gross as in provoking a primitive reaction by showing the insides of someone's body or someone eating something disgusting. Is this what you're talking about, or do you mean gross behavior as in ethically fucked up

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: November 05, 2021, 06:20:28 pm »

So I feel like I'm significantly better at chess than two months ago but my rating is 70 lower. Also don't think I was overrated back then. This should imply that I can now win most games if I really try. Let's test that by trying for the next 10 games.

4:0 so far

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1629 on: November 06, 2021, 05:30:36 am »

If I say gross, I mean literally gross as in provoking a primitive reaction by showing the insides of someone's body or someone eating something disgusting. Is this what you're talking about, or do you mean gross behavior as in ethically fucked up

The former. I mean, the protagonist suffers from a form of agnosia that causes him to perceive normal things as disgusting and this is conveyed to the reader both visually (everything is covered in unintelligible gore) and in writing. Ethically, it's actually very interesting.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: November 06, 2021, 07:01:58 am »

The former. I mean, the protagonist suffers from a form of agnosia that causes him to perceive normal things as disgusting and this is conveyed to the reader both visually (everything is covered in unintelligible gore) and in writing. Ethically, it's actually very interesting.

Well I won't be watching it to find out myself

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: November 06, 2021, 07:04:30 am »

Alright. Brand new cherry flavor. Great show except for the gross parts. Who'd have thought.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1632 on: November 06, 2021, 07:17:37 am »

Well I won't be watching it to find out myself

I wasn't really expecting you to (although initially I had slight hopes that you might have read it already or otherwise be familiar with it), but based on that short description, does it sound plausible that it's gross to serve a greater purpose, i.e. does it work as an example to demonstrate the point?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: November 06, 2021, 07:40:29 am »

Yeah, it does. I can appreciate how other tools are used in service of a particular effect, and I don't see why this should be different. It just doesn't work if you dislike gross things as much as I do because the displeasure of having to look it at is too strong.

in the show I just finished, I ended up just skipping over those parts

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: November 06, 2021, 07:41:19 am »

So I feel like I'm significantly better at chess than two months ago but my rating is 70 lower. Also don't think I was overrated back then. This should imply that I can now win most games if I really try. Let's test that by trying for the next 10 games.

4:0 so far

6:1

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: November 06, 2021, 07:50:14 am »

Statistically, opponent is already ahead against me when they open with D4, and indeed that was the first game where someone did that

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: November 06, 2021, 08:14:05 am »

Imagine you're watching a movie. It's unpredictable, well-made, and incredibly immersive, so much so that you totally forget you're watching for most of it. Also you're extremely physically comfortable throughout.

Does this sound like a fun thing to do? It does to me.

And of course it's what you do for a good chunk of your life. (I'd say one third to one fourth, but not all sleep includes dreams and the brain works differently, so it could be off in either direction.)

If you value a life by higher level concepts like 'did the person live true to their potential', this may not be all that important. But it's very interesting if like me you think the personal value of a life is just the integral of the function that tracks well-being over time. It may be that most people underestimate their own average happiness because they spend a good chunk of their time in a very pleasant state of which they don't keep any memories. ImE most dreams are extremely pleasant.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: November 06, 2021, 08:16:34 am »

Note that I say personal value to exclude the effect you have on other people, which if you do it right should be way way larger than your personal integral

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: November 06, 2021, 08:19:07 am »

Like the worst part of most of my days is definitely being violently and irreversibly ripped out of a dream, but what does that say about the time spent asleep?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: November 06, 2021, 08:21:43 am »

Last night one nice man paid me something like 4000$ to fly somewhere and fix a computer problem for him, and another person had the visual appearance of one highschool friend, the identity of a second, and was talking about the shared experience I had with a third

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: November 06, 2021, 08:22:14 am »

Actually the third was an elementary school friend

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 06, 2021, 09:37:36 am »

Remembered seeing this comic and found it again!

Certainly I've wtf'd at my own code, even recently when I'm under the questionable impression that it's probably pretty good

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: November 06, 2021, 12:22:52 pm »

I finished the 10 chess games 9:1:0. I'll take this as evidence that I'm not completely deluded about my own skill. The chance to achieve 9+ wins by chance is 11/1024 (actually lower because of draws).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: November 06, 2021, 12:33:37 pm »

(I certainly wasn't good enough to get 9-1 tho, there was a lot of luck involved. I would have probably guessed 7-3 or 6-3-1 as the result.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: November 06, 2021, 03:49:41 pm »

ouff losing to someone way worse than you is tough. I've been so many good players in this 10 game run and now this

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: November 06, 2021, 04:36:14 pm »

Given how successful the last netflix run was and that I still have some days with relatively little to do, let's do it again

1/n: Army of Thieves. This is one of the top-10-in-USA

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: November 06, 2021, 04:37:52 pm »

the speaker reminds me of Joscha Bach but maybe just because of the German accent

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: November 06, 2021, 04:41:36 pm »

Eh seems ok but like a movie made for normies. I'm more  yearning for the touch of insanity that made the last show entertaining

2/n Lost in Space

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 06, 2021, 04:47:58 pm »

So the opening scene reminds me. Sometimes when I'm out alone doing things I wonder what it would be like if someone from the past happened to have the chance to watch the world through my eyes.

They would probably be really shocked about seeing everyone wear masks. Today when I went to the supermarket, there was a short encounter with a helpful expository dialogue, but that's really rare. On most days, you could watch for a long time without understanding why the mask thing is a thing.

If you pay attention to this, then most shows/movies are kind of clunky in inserting expository dialog. Pretty reliable quality measure imo. This is an extremely noteable feature of Olivier Assayas's movies. They all don't do that, which is such a breath of fresh air. They feel so real as a result. You're just thrown in as a spectator. It even inspired me to do less exposition in writing, where it's obviously different because you can just tell the audience without making anything implausible, but still. I think there's something to be said about not telling the audience.

Anyway this was one of those clunky ones. Moving on.

3/n Colony

Anyway

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: November 06, 2021, 05:04:27 pm »

This one is also interesting under the same lens. Some shows do this thing where they try too hard to show normal life by showing tons of details all at once, and it also comes across as a little unrealistic because most of the time, there aren't so many mundane details happening at once. Certainly not as clunky as the last one though.

Feel a bit bad about dropping it because there's nothing particularly wrong here. If I didn't have at least 1000 other things to choose from, I would watch further. Just seems a bit too basic. But it's close.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 275  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.