Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111]  All

Author Topic: M79: Sherlock Mafia (Game over!)  (Read 264470 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: M79: Sherlock Mafia (Game over!)
« Reply #2750 on: June 30, 2016, 12:05:08 pm »

Holy cow, reading the SS and Mafia QT in the beginning is so chilling. SS just flat out embraces Moriarty's role, and threatens to bring down all of the Mafia if they do not cooperate. Wow, this is like a novel or something.

I loved it. The role captured the flavor pretty well there.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: June 30, 2016, 12:09:14 pm »

So the setup was designed around the Moriarty role. I really like this kind of win condition, and wanted to explore it more after I had it in Buffy (with Ichi's role) and it didn't really do anything. Having an evil mastermind just seemed like the thing to do for this flavor.

Balance is iffy. I still wouldn't change to much. Maybe limit access to the mafia somehow, like Moriarty can only communicate with one of them or something like that. Having him have a Neighborhood with 1 confirmed mafia and the SK might make it harder.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: June 30, 2016, 12:29:31 pm »

I loved the setup.  I think the only problem was that it basically turned into 2 v 4 v 10.  SK + Moriarty was a team that had knowledge of the 4 team, and was able to talk to them and see what actions they were taking at night.  I think it would've been harder than you think to kick Moriarty out of the scum QT because we had no way of talking about it without him seeing us talk about it. 

I also think that having day chat helped them out tremendously.  I mean I kinda knew that ss was talking to the SK, and I wanted to kick him out of the QT the night after I died, but obviously didn't have the chance.

I also think what hurt us the most was having two replacements.  That makes it hard on any faction to win.  I mean you really have to show that you blindly trust someone, which is really tough to do.

So I personally didn't like the Moriarty role, because I think it would've been really hard to get him out of the QT.  Maybe it would've been better if we didn't know that it was ss, because then we could've easily built a case on him, not knowing that it was Moriarty.  I just don't like being mafia when someone who is not of your faction knows who you are.  That just kinda sucks.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: June 30, 2016, 12:33:59 pm »

I was extremely disappointed that Witherweaver lynched me

It seemed safer.  I went through it in my QT and it seemed we'd win either way.  But if I side with you and you get lynched, we're both exposed.  By the time I had finished rereads, it didn't look like Font would happen.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: June 30, 2016, 12:34:53 pm »

I loved the setup.  I think the only problem was that it basically turned into 2 v 4 v 10.  SK + Moriarty was a team that had knowledge of the 4 team, and was able to talk to them and see what actions they were taking at night.  I think it would've been harder than you think to kick Moriarty out of the scum QT because we had no way of talking about it without him seeing us talk about it. 

I also think that having day chat helped them out tremendously.  I mean I kinda knew that ss was talking to the SK, and I wanted to kick him out of the QT the night after I died, but obviously didn't have the chance.

I also think what hurt us the most was having two replacements.  That makes it hard on any faction to win.  I mean you really have to show that you blindly trust someone, which is really tough to do.

So I personally didn't like the Moriarty role, because I think it would've been really hard to get him out of the QT.  Maybe it would've been better if we didn't know that it was ss, because then we could've easily built a case on him, not knowing that it was Moriarty.  I just don't like being mafia when someone who is not of your faction knows who you are.  That just kinda sucks.

I think the mistake was having him in the QT in the first place.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: June 30, 2016, 12:47:25 pm »

I think the mistake was having him in the QT in the first place.

I think it would've been hard to vote him out then as well.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: June 30, 2016, 12:51:41 pm »

It was kind of broken from the beginning.  And people posted as their own name at first (I think).

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: June 30, 2016, 12:55:24 pm »

It was kind of broken from the beginning.  And people posted as their own name at first (I think).

Well we didn't have a choice who we posted as.  If we had the option to post under a pseudonym and vote him out and then post by our real names, I totally would've taken that route.

Jan

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: June 30, 2016, 01:27:19 pm »

Last years setup was better in every way or form in my opinion. But the numbers were better for sure.

Really? The setup with just one cop was better? I thought that was way worse.
I think the more vanilla the setup and the less mechanics are in it the more you depend on reading people, which should be the essence of champ games to me.

being able to read and exploit mechanics is a trait as well, but the more vanilla the setup the better it is to actually compare people, i think. more prs and more mechanics are just crutches. fun to play with but for me a champs game should not have a lot of roles and no variation in setup.
Generic signature involving the word homunculus.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: June 30, 2016, 01:38:18 pm »

But the Cop setup doesn't even have a higher skill factor, I don't think. PRs are just as imporant, the difference is that it that the PR part is more luck based.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2760 on: June 30, 2016, 01:39:02 pm »

I think the cop setup is just the worst thing you can have no with either motivation.

Just have a vanilla game. No PRs, just reads.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: June 30, 2016, 01:45:04 pm »

The win cons were confusing, too.  Is it possible for Moriarty and Mafia to win together?

fontisian

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: June 30, 2016, 01:53:09 pm »

I would not dare to judge the quality of the people playing on this site by 1 game.
I would!

8/10, would play here again.
Dread Empress fontisian (may she never return)
Smooth like Sandpaper

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: June 30, 2016, 01:56:28 pm »

The win cons were confusing, too.  Is it possible for Moriarty and Mafia to win together?

Yes. The way the game played out, Moriarty got to choose if he wanted mafia or the SK to win. He wins either way. I can't fault him for choosing sk as much as I would have preferred him choosing mafia
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: June 30, 2016, 01:57:59 pm »

I would not dare to judge the quality of the people playing on this site by 1 game.
I would!

8/10, would play here again.

You should sign up for this game then.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: June 30, 2016, 02:00:20 pm »

I agree with pretty much everything e said. This setup would be balanced if you replaced moriarty with a VT, and gave the SK some more powers. With moriarty I can't see town winning mire than 1/5th of the time.

fontisian

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: June 30, 2016, 02:01:23 pm »

I do think I had an overly easy time as the SK, but I also believe SK wins should be much harder than winning as any other faction. /shrug
Dread Empress fontisian (may she never return)
Smooth like Sandpaper

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: June 30, 2016, 02:04:38 pm »

Haha, I just realized, Faust built a Reinoe into the setup.  Guess he wanted to account for it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: June 30, 2016, 02:05:26 pm »

Jan, by the way, like nailed almost all the scum early on. 

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: June 30, 2016, 02:06:17 pm »

I think I have a new rule, which I really ought to have followed from when I started playing mafia: I won't play in games where it isn't common knowledge what all of the wincons are and how many players will have each wincon. These sorts of surprises are just never pleasant.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: November 10, 2016, 12:23:58 pm »

Still missing mvp!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: November 10, 2016, 12:24:35 pm »

This was a fun game
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: November 10, 2016, 12:41:15 pm »

Still missing mvp!

Oh yeah.

fontisian is MVP!

Sorry, silverspawn!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: November 10, 2016, 07:54:10 pm »

No Problem.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111]  All

Page created in 1.99 seconds with 20 queries.