Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30  All

Author Topic: Secret Hitler I [Round 12]  (Read 73304 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Hitler I [Round 1]
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2016, 06:43:55 pm »

What do people think about giving the Chancellor a choice, rather than forcing a specific type policy?

I don't know, man. Giving the Chancellor a choice implies that you drew 2L1F. If you did that, and the Chancellor decides to enact the fascist policy, that means we cannot get 5 liberal policies before the reshuffle. That seems like a major problem, especially early on, when the next reshuffle is far away.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2016, 06:46:09 pm »

What do people think about giving the Chancellor a choice, rather than forcing a specific type policy? Obviously forcing a liberal policy near the end of the game would be the best move, but I've read that forcing players early game to make that commitment is a valid way to detect individuals. Also, I think all Presidents should not try to get fascist policies passed so that they get a power...that should be a side affect and not the goal.

If the President draws Liberal-liberal-fascist, I think passing anything other than a liberal is a bad idea. The more liberal policies are enacted, the bolder the fascists will have to act.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2016, 06:51:52 pm »

I kinda think Arch is towny for asking that question though. I feel better about giving him my vote. ghost is a decent choice, obviously not as good as me.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2016, 07:03:33 pm »

What do people think about giving the Chancellor a choice, rather than forcing a specific type policy?

I don't know, man. Giving the Chancellor a choice implies that you drew 2L1F. If you did that, and the Chancellor decides to enact the fascist policy, that means we cannot get 5 liberal policies before the reshuffle. That seems like a major problem, especially early on, when the next reshuffle is far away.
Not necessarily. They could've draw 2 F 1 L, discarding 1 F.

What do people think about giving the Chancellor a choice, rather than forcing a specific type policy? Obviously forcing a liberal policy near the end of the game would be the best move, but I've read that forcing players early game to make that commitment is a valid way to detect individuals. Also, I think all Presidents should not try to get fascist policies passed so that they get a power...that should be a side affect and not the goal.

If the President draws Liberal-liberal-fascist, I think passing anything other than a liberal is a bad idea. The more liberal policies are enacted, the bolder the fascists will have to act.
I suppose, but if they did enact a fascist policy it not only gives the President a pretty good idea of what that player's alignment is, but also gives them a power that could potentially reveal more information.

It may be statistically better to force a liberal policy, I don't know, but I imagine it'd be difficult to quantify the information gained from presenting a choice. I'll wait for a few others to chime in.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2016, 07:10:15 pm »

I think it should be obvious that you would discard F in that situation, so I didn't think your question encompassed that scenario.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2016, 07:12:03 pm »

I think it should be obvious that you would discard F in that situation, so I didn't think your question encompassed that scenario.
Fair point.

Unvote

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2016, 02:23:21 am »

It may be statistically better to force a liberal policy, I don't know, but I imagine it'd be difficult to quantify the information gained from presenting a choice. I'll wait for a few others to chime in.
As I've said before, I expect to gain information mostly about the president. I don't think the chancellor will enact a fascist law when the president gives him a choice early in the game. If the president claims 2F1L and the chancellor claims 2F, I would put neither the president nor the chancellor on any further mission. The town majority improves from 5-4 to 4-3. That being said, I would still pass 2L if I drew 2L1F, just because definitely needing the reshuffle would suck.

Regarding the claims: Do you think the president or the chancellor should claim first? I have the feeling there could be some situation where it is beneficial that one claims before the other but I cannot pin it down. The important part is that Hitler/liberal do not know if they are paired with a fascist or not. So by forcing the order, we can avoid (half of the time) that Hitler waits until the other player acts first.

I find ghostofmars towny, so I'd be likely to invite him to be my Chancellor.
I would vote for that government. :)

Tables would you like to tell us your likely chancellor so that people can make a more informed choice?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2016, 04:22:26 am »

Regarding the claims: Do you think the president or the chancellor should claim first? I have the feeling there could be some situation where it is beneficial that one claims before the other but I cannot pin it down. The important part is that Hitler/liberal do not know if they are paired with a fascist or not. So by forcing the order, we can avoid (half of the time) that Hitler waits until the other player acts first.

Well, arguably a fascist President wants to nominate a fascist Chancellor. Maybe they nominate Hitler, but that seems very dangerous. So the more likely scenario is that President!Hitler nominates a fascist Chancellor by chance (haha). Which would mean we want the President to claim first, right?

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2016, 04:50:06 am »

Well, arguably a fascist President wants to nominate a fascist Chancellor. Maybe they nominate Hitler, but that seems very dangerous. So the more likely scenario is that President!Hitler nominates a fascist Chancellor by chance (haha). Which would mean we want the President to claim first, right?

I would disagree; as a fascist president I would want to nominate a liberal chancellor. If a fascist law is passed both parts of the government will be held responsible. The only possibility where FP + FC is better (from a fascist perspective) is if you draw 2L1F and can discard 2 liberal laws.

But you are right - I think - that it is more likely that Hitler accidentally nominates a fascist chancellor than that a fascist president nominates Hitler. So I would agree that president should claim his cards first.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2016, 11:50:22 am »

Also, I am getting much better at spelling fascist, few post earlier I had like 2/10 accuracy, I am at least at 6/10 now :D

Be glad you're not trying to spell "fuchsia."

Google "fuschia" and you'll find multiple companies that use the misspelled version in their legal name.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2016, 08:11:16 pm »

this all sounds good to me!
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2016, 12:35:57 am »

Alright. I'll do it.

Nominate: ghostofmars

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2016, 03:39:26 am »

I would like Tables to announce his nominee though.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2016, 01:10:20 pm »

I don't have one just yet. Nobody has really stood out to me as especially liberal, and the votes here could make a big impact on who I want to nominate (those of you who know how I play resistance/mafia like games know I tend to put more stock into solid information like votes and results than I do into reads). I do have one somewhat pro-liberal reads; ADK, whose recent posts especially seem quite pro-liberal to me.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2016, 06:51:51 pm »

I don't have one just yet. Nobody has really stood out to me as especially liberal, and the votes here could make a big impact on who I want to nominate (those of you who know how I play resistance/mafia like games know I tend to put more stock into solid information like votes and results than I do into reads). I do have one somewhat pro-liberal reads; ADK, whose recent posts especially seem quite pro-liberal to me.

Why?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2016, 11:49:51 am »

Still waiting on votes from ADK, EgorK, Grujah.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2016, 12:31:10 pm »

Why?

Asking things like that when someone has a good read on you has just cemented that read a little more. But mainly it comes down to:

1)
I voted yes because uh. I dunno we don't have any info yet and I figured that would give us some info.

Based on this post I would be more likely to vote for a team with hydrad on it

This observation seemed good to me, that Hydrad's argument seems to be pushing for more information. I'm still unsold on Hydrad, but taking the initiative and stating you had a good read on him from this, itself gave me a good read.

Also... uh, nevermind, I think it probably was just that one post that stood out to me. The last post before this was, sure, pro-liberal, but it's also something I think anyone would have said. That last one is something you could have easily kept quiet about if you wanted to, and that gave me a good read.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2016, 12:52:15 pm »

I voted yes because uh. I dunno we don't have any info yet and I figured that would give us some info.

Based on this post I would be more likely to vote for a team with hydrad on it

This observation seemed good to me, that Hydrad's argument seems to be pushing for more information. I'm still unsold on Hydrad, but taking the initiative and stating you had a good read on him from this, itself gave me a good read.

Also... uh, nevermind, I think it probably was just that one post that stood out to me. The last post before this was, sure, pro-liberal, but it's also something I think anyone would have said. That last one is something you could have easily kept quiet about if you wanted to, and that gave me a good read.

Meh. The above post is classic Hydrad, and ADK, having played Mafia with Hydrad before, should know that. It does not say anything about Hydrad's alignment.

Thinking people are on your side because they agree with you is a trap.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2016, 12:53:54 pm »

So. I don't trust Tables. I don't feel great about ADK. Egor, ADK, Grujah - I encourage you to support this government.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2016, 05:00:26 am »

Is there a way to get the activity level up? Have all people voted? What do you think of my read on Tables/ADK? Talk, talk, talk guys. Talk is how you win a deduction game.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2016, 08:46:31 am »

I voted. I don't have terribly strong reads on anyone at the moment. If there's anyone I don't trust right now, it's probably Tables.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2016, 10:53:28 am »

I don't know what all your reads are based on Faust. I think we need something to actually happen before we can all give reads about who is good and who is bad

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2016, 10:55:56 am »

I don't know what all your reads are based on Faust. I think we need something to actually happen before we can all give reads about who is good and who is bad

I don't buy this like at all. You play forum mafia. Do we just randomly lynch someone on D1? No. We can have the same here. You are just lazy.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2016, 11:35:06 am »

Can you please replace signup order with play order in post #1, it is confusing the hell out of me. (plus I have to search for play order all the time).

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2016, 12:01:12 pm »

I don't buy this like at all. You play forum mafia. Do we just randomly lynch someone on D1? No. We can have the same here. You are just lazy.

The big difference is we can look at voting patterns, and how people react to other people.  I think that is lessened here because you want to vote for townie people as opposed to the people that look bad.  I agree that you can get a feel for someone's alignment based on their interaction with others and what they say, but I don't think it can be as strong as your reads seem to be.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 16 queries.