Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Complete noob here, my friends and I are struggling with Chapel  (Read 10439 times)

olegas

• Pawn
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
Complete noob here, my friends and I are struggling with Chapel
« on: December 20, 2015, 10:43:34 pm »
+1

I've done a few searches on the forums already but I haven't seen an answer to this question:

So we were playing a game (it was my second time ever) using the premade set of actions recommended by the instructions which includes Witch and Chapel. I quickly bought a bunch of labs and villages when everyone else was spamming witches, and once I got a few chapels as well I began cycling cards very quickly. Before long, I was down to pretty much just labs, villages, a couple chapels, and a woodcutter. At this point I could just cycle my entire deck infinitely, and I pretty much declared victory. My friends questioned it but couldn't find anything against it in the rules. However, we all agreed that this was way broken; it pretty much only took 10 turns and it could've taken even less time with less witches. Now everyone says they're fed up with the game and want to quit playing. So I'm wondering, is this a fair strategy that experienced players use? Is there some way to counter this, or is it just a flaw in the game? This pretty much ruins the game, it seems.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Complete noob here, my friends and I are struggling with Chapel
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:49:14 pm »
+24

When you play cards, they don't go directly into your discard pile. They stay "in play" until the end of your turn. So you can only play each Action card once per turn.

Read the rules again with this in mind.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:50:54 pm by LastFootnote »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:26:58 am »

Interestingly, I've played a game that lets you shuffle the cards back in right away after you play them, and that game pretty much bans you from ever trashing your cards to keep it from being broken.

But anyway, LastFootnote is correct, you guys misread the rules a little bit.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 01:25:38 am »
+6

I suggest doing a trial game online. The rules are implemented correctly there and you will see an example of how cards stay "in play" and are not recycled infinitely through your deck.

Or just go to Adam Horton's twitch or YouTube channel and watch some of his games. He does a great job analyzing games and commenting on strategy throughout.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 01:26:29 am »
+5

That said, Chapel is a very strong card!

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 02:44:50 am »
+1

When you play cards, they don't go directly into your discard pile. They stay "in play" until the end of your turn. So you can only play each Action card once per turn.

If this is the correct issue, I'm very impressed, LFN. No way would I have been able to figure out from the description in the OP that that's the mistake they're making.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 03:54:42 am »
+1

If this is the correct issue, I'm very impressed, LFN. No way would I have been able to figure out from the description in the OP that that's the mistake they're making.

LF's almost certainly correct.  I thought it was pretty obvious from the description, "I could cycle my entire deck infinitely".

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 05:47:42 am »
+3

Suddenly Woodcutter becomes super overpowered.

All you need is a 4 card deck with Village, Lab, Chapel and Woodcutter and you can empty the supply!
Just play Village - Woodcutter, Lab to draw them, Village - Woodcutter, Lab... etc, infinite $ and infinite Buys!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 08:36:24 am »
+5

I see players do this almost every time I play with a group IRL. I get that they do it for convenience's sake, but this exact scenario is why they shouldn't. The problem for me is that they don't stop doing it even after I tell them usually.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 09:52:39 am »

Interestingly, I've played a game that lets you shuffle the cards back in right away after you play them, and that game pretty much bans you from ever trashing your cards to keep it from being broken.

But anyway, LastFootnote is correct, you guys misread the rules a little bit.

You can go infinite in Ascension, by using a one-shot that lets you take another turn. The trash auto cycles back in when the "kingdom" empties, so that card comes back, and you can buy it again and use it again, forever.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:53:45 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 09:59:58 am »
+6

Seeing how even very experienced players often struggle with engine-building, I can't help but be impressed by these novices already crafting the ultimate one: the perpetuum mobile.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 10:39:09 am »
+7

All you need is a 4 card deck with Village, Lab, Chapel and Woodcutter and you can empty the supply!
Just play Village - Woodcutter, Lab to draw them, Village - Woodcutter, Lab... etc, infinite $ and infinite Buys!
Or a two card deck with Markets.  One card if the order of events allows it to redraw itself.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 01:08:56 pm »

Or a two card deck with Markets.  One card if the order of events allows it to redraw itself.

You can't get to that state in the base game though.  No way to get rid of Chapel.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 01:17:41 pm »
+4

You can't get to that state in the base game though.  No way to get rid of Chapel.

Well, a 3-card deck with Chapel and two Markets does the same thing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 01:59:19 pm »
+10

Man, stupid Chapel being stuck in your deck. Someone should make a card that can both get rid of your junk AND trash itself on play. That would totally be the bomb.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 02:19:36 pm »
+4

Also, OP, you only need to buy one Chapel, and it should be one of the cards you buy on of your first two opening buys.

Ampharos

• Scout
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 02:38:34 pm »
+1

Also, OP, you only need to buy one Chapel, and it should be one of the cards you buy on of your first two opening buys.

In a two player game, sure only 1.  But in large MP games (just played a 6 torturer game last night), you might actually want a second.  Depends on how much junk is coming your way.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 02:42:03 pm »
+13

In a two player game, sure only 1.  But in large MP games (just played a 6 torturer game last night), you might actually want a second.  Depends on how much junk is coming your way.

I think in such cases what you really need is a second game of Dominion. Or a razor blade.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 04:02:33 pm »
+2

If I know that my Chapel has missed the reshuffle (playing it on T5), I will sometimes buy a 2nd Chapel on Turn 4 to hopefully not fall behind on trashing. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

olegas

• Pawn
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 08:00:03 pm »
+20

Thanks a lot for all of the replies guys! So yeah, the first poster was right, we were putting cards into the discard pile immediately after they were played as if we were playing MTG. I think the problem was that, instead of reading the rules, we all learned them from one friend who hadn't read them very closely herself. So it was hard to figure out what we were doing wrong. Anyway, I'm glad we can keep playing this game after all :)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 08:44:38 pm »
+2

Thanks a lot for all of the replies guys! So yeah, the first poster was right, we were putting cards into the discard pile immediately after they were played as if we were playing MTG. I think the problem was that, instead of reading the rules, we all learned them from one friend who hadn't read them very closely herself. So it was hard to figure out what we were doing wrong. Anyway, I'm glad we can keep playing this game after all :)

Hooray!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 10:44:22 pm »
+2

Does this help?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 04:55:57 am »
+3

Man, stupid Chapel being stuck in your deck. Someone should make a card that can both get rid of your junk AND trash itself on play. That would totally be the bomb Raze.

Fixed that for you.

Ampharos

• Scout
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 07:43:19 am »

I think in such cases what you really need is a second game of Dominion. Or a razor blade.

Did I mention there were also Cutpurses?  If not for Guide and Library being present, not sure anything could ever have gotten done.  :P 

Extended family was all home and wanted to play together... thought about splitting it up into two but thought "how bad could this be?"  That was a mistake.  75 minutes later...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 08:14:49 am »
+6

Extended family was all home and wanted to play together... thought about splitting it up into two but thought "how bad could this be?"  That was a mistake.  75 minutes later...

A suggestion: the next time you have a lot of people that want to play together, consider playing a game that actually requires a lot of people because you don't get to play those too often and they are pretty much guaranteed to work with a lot of people.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.