Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Altered starting conditions  (Read 8661 times)

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
Altered starting conditions
« on: December 09, 2015, 06:55:17 pm »
+1

The combination of eHalcyon's thread about endgame parameters and one of the cards dropped from the Enterprise expansion got me thinking further about playing around with the starting conditions. LastFootnote's Domain attempted to do this by replacing a starting copper with a
  • Treasure-Victory. I'd like to think more about alt-copper starters, perhaps akin to the Shelter setup from Dark Ages. Some initial ideas:
  • Treasure-Reaction: Gives $1; when you buy a treasure, you may reveal this from your hand and trash it
  • Treasure: Gives $1; while this is in play, Action cards cost +$1
  • Treasure-Action: If you play this in your Action phase: You may put your deck in your discard pile; If you play this in you buy phase, gives $1
  • Treasure-Victory: Gives $1, put this on top of the Estate pile when you play it; worth 2VP for every 2 Domains in your deck. You must buy it from Estate pile before estates can be bought.
  • Treasure-Reserve: Gives $1, put this on your Tavern mat; At the beginning of your buy phase, you may call this into play
  • Treasure: $1; at the end of your Buy phase, if you have at least $1 unspent, you may put this on top of your deck
The idea is still half baked. But it would probably involve a new starting rule that you can randomly choose one or two alt-coppers to use this game. Each player replaces one of their starting coppers with it/them. All players start with the same setup of starting alt-coppers.
Thoughts? Other alt-copper ideas? Potentially interesting starting buy ramifications?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:15:52 pm by GeneralRamos »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
Re: Altered starting conditions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 12:02:44 am »

I've tested a Lucky Charm before:
Treasure Victory 4*c
Worth 1c
At the end of the game, your Curses are worth 1vp instead of -1. (replaces one of your starting Coppers)

It's pretty fun, if not a cataclismatic change. It used to be worth 2 points per curse but that was broken-ish because of Graverobber and Rogue. Blam! Free Duchies!
And you can always remodel it for profit.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 01:52:39 am »
+1

NoMoreFun had this idea way back when:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7903.0

I use his trinkets idea sometimes except that each player gets one copper replaced by the same trinket (instead of each player getting a different one).

My favorite of your ideas is this one:
Treasure: $1; at the end of your Buy phase, if you have at least $1 unspent, you may put this on top of your deck
I'll add it to my trinkets.

EDIT: You could also word it with "When you discard this from your hand, you may put it on top of your deck" And I would make this change:
Treasure: $1
When you discard this from your hand, you may set it aside. If you do, put it in your hand at the start of next turn.
(That way if you don't use it on the first turn, it'll be your sixth card in hand on the 2nd turn.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:56:19 am by LibraryAdventurer »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 04:21:23 am »
+1

• Treasure-Reserve: Gives $1, put this on your Tavern mat; At the beginning of your buy phase, you may call this into play
I think this is most interesting one. One way to make it weaker would be to put it on your Tavern mat before it generates money such that it becomes a mere "savable" Copper instead of a Copper which you can transfer after having played it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 09:16:25 am »
+2

My set Dominion: Pandemonium had the idea of replacing one of each player's starting coppers with a "Trinket". These are chosen in reverse order of the players, and have the goal of giving each player something unique to build their deck around.

They were:

Bell
Action/Trinket - $0*
+2 Actions
+$1

Chain
Treasure/Trinket - $0*
Worth $0
---
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less (to a minimum of $0)

Dagger
Treasure/Reaction/Trinket - $0*
Worth $1
When another player plays an attack card, you may trash this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by the attack.

Locket
Treasure/Victory/Trinket - $0*
Worth 1VP for each name of a Treasure you have in your deck other than Gold, Silver or Copper.
---
Worth $1

Rare Coin
Treasure/Trinket – $4*
Worth $1

Sigil
Treasure/Trinket - $0*
Worth $1, +$2 for each empty supply pile

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:06:37 am »
+1

Savings

A copper that, if not initially spent, is retained on your Reserve mat until such a time as you need it. I initially worded at beginning of your Buy phase, but I could probably loosen that. My wife and I tried it and often forgot to call it until other Treasures were already played. It never hurts to call it every Buy phase though, because if unspent it returns to the Tavern mat. Note that this cannot be called in the Action phase for, say, Black Market.

Planchet

A copper that can be made into any coin another player gained while this was in your hand. May alter the strategy of buying silver or not in the first couple turns. Do you risk giving the other players a free silver while retaining their buy to get another card? Do you trash this for silver and take the -$1 available for your own buy? Do you hang on to this in the hopes of turning it into a Gold, Platinum, or something else more useful down the line?

Heirlooms

Perhaps the most game-changing. It gives you a 9-card starting setup, which means only your first turn buy will make the first shuffle, and means you may potentially play an action card or a silver on turn 2. It gives you the possibility of hitting 6 on the first two turns. But this silver disappears if you do hit that critical 5 or 6 buy, so make it good. If you want to keep it around, it may incentivize multiple buys of $4 cards.

Barter

This one is a "worse than copper" coin. While in play, it is more expensive to buy Treasures. And so it incentivizes buying Actions or Victories-with-benefits.

Wage

A fairly fringe benefit on this. You may play it as an action to discard your deck. Like heirlooms, this can be used to get a first turn buy into circulation perhaps for turn 2. But you'll only be able to do this for a $4 or less, because it produces no $ when played as an Action.

Fiefdom

A Copper that leaves your deck when you play it. Sort of elf-trashing. But at a certain point they're quite valuable to retain, since two of them gives you a total of 4VP, 3 gives 6VP, and 4 would give 12VP. Of course, there's only one per player in the game. They go on top of Estate supply when played, and must be bought or gained before you can buy an Estate. You can still gain an estate as normal with cards that specifically call for them (Baron). Maybe with other gainers as well. I'm leaving that open for now.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 11:19:47 am »
+1

Oh Savings is actually supposed to give +$1 when called? That needs to be explicitly mentioned in the call text. Coin of the Realm doesn't produce any money when called.

You'd need to word it like "call this, to get +$1". As far as I know, "get" is never used like that anywhere else in Dominion but it should be fine.

You can also just leave it on the Tavern Mat forever right?

Edit: I took a closer look at the cards and overall I like them. There's no need to play with all of them at once right?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:23:14 am by markusin »

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 11:45:45 am »

Good point on the wording, it should probably specify that. Alternately, in the FAQ.  It isn't exactly in parity with CotR, since you call that in that Action phase for a specified benefit different from the treasure ability. Call it into play might generally suggest +$1. I'll make the adjustment later. And you can just leave it on the Tavern forever, if you've got a thinned deck full of Golds or some other scenario where it's a liability.

There's no need to play with all of them at once right?
Correct. I'm imagining, and play-testing, with the advice that you use no more than two in any given game. Playing with all at once is probably too much, though I suppose it'd be worth trying out a game like that and see how it goes.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 12:07:32 pm »
+1

Good point on the wording, it should probably specify that. Alternately, in the FAQ.  It isn't exactly in parity with CotR, since you call that in that Action phase for a specified benefit different from the treasure ability. Call it into play might generally suggest +$1. I'll make the adjustment later. And you can just leave it on the Tavern forever, if you've got a thinned deck full of Golds or some other scenario where it's a liability.

There's no need to play with all of them at once right?
Correct. I'm imagining, and play-testing, with the advice that you use no more than two in any given game. Playing with all at once is probably too much, though I suppose it'd be worth trying out a game like that and see how it goes.

"Call this to play it" might work well actually. By having the card explicitly replayed on call, you can reuse the reserve ability if you didn't spend the additional $1 it produced that turn. This means you can generally call it every buy phase without penalty to potentially reduce analysis paralysis and get into a rhythm with calling it every buy phase.

Edit: I see you already call Saving every buy phase when you play with it, but you wouldn't be able to do that without explicitly replaying the card because the option to reserve the card is only given on play.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:12:16 pm by markusin »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 12:09:24 pm »

A couple observations.

Wage is odd with Black Market/Storyteller, but it probably doesn't matter.

I don't think technically, by the rules, Fiefdom can work the way you describe with Estates. If there isn't an Estate at the top of a supply pile nothing can gain one.  You can't gain Sir Martin out of the middle of the Knights pile with Ironworks. If I gain a Ruin, and then Ambassador it and another one back to the pile while my opponent has Lighthouse in play I'm pretty sure my opponent cannot gain it with Smugglers.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 12:18:20 pm »

A couple observations.

I don't think technically, by the rules, Fiefdom can work the way you describe with Estates. If there isn't an Estate at the top of a supply pile nothing can gain one.  You can't gain Sir Martin out of the middle of the Knights pile with Ironworks. If I gain a Ruin, and then Ambassador it and another one back to the pile while my opponent has Lighthouse in play I'm pretty sure my opponent cannot gain it with Smugglers.

I believe this is correct. So Baron, Followers, and Hunting Grounds cannot gain Estates with a Fiefdom on top. Not a big loss either way.

Oh but you can't have Ambassador send back two differently named Ruins in the first place. Okay you can on two different plays. Not any different from just revealing a differently named Ruin below the gained one though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:20:33 pm by markusin »

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 12:54:39 pm »

I believe this is correct. So Baron, Followers, and Hunting Grounds cannot gain Estates with a Fiefdom on top. Not a big loss either way.
Good point. And yeah, no love lost.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 02:04:27 pm »

A couple observations.

Oh but you can't have Ambassador send back two differently named Ruins in the first place. Okay you can on two different plays. Not any different from just revealing a differently named Ruin below the gained one though.

Oh yeah, I should have been clearer that I meant two separate Ambassador returns.  I was just trying to highlight a situation where you know the card is there under another differently named one, but you can't gain it.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 02:14:39 pm »

You'd need to word it like "call this, to get +$1". As far as I know, "get" is never used like that anywhere else in Dominion but it should be fine.

"You may call this; if you do, +$1" should also be fine. But I think "get" is used in this way on Governor, sorta?

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 05:48:17 pm »
+1

Savings

A copper that, if not initially spent, is retained on your Reserve mat until such a time as you need it. I initially worded at beginning of your Buy phase, but I could probably loosen that. My wife and I tried it and often forgot to call it until other Treasures were already played. It never hurts to call it every Buy phase though, because if unspent it returns to the Tavern mat. Note that this cannot be called in the Action phase for, say, Black Market.

So, a Coin token?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 06:09:24 pm »

Savings

So, a Coin token?

It has a lot of similarities to a coin token, but it certainly doesn't function exactly the same way.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 04:48:18 pm »

Savings
Thanks for following up with my idea of nerfing it slightly. I still think that this is your best card in this set.

Fiefdom

A Copper that leaves your deck when you play it. Sort of elf-trashing. But at a certain point they're quite valuable to retain, since two of them gives you a total of 4VP, 3 gives 6VP, and 4 would give 12VP. Of course, there's only one per player in the game. They go on top of Estate supply when played, and must be bought or gained before you can buy an Estate. You can still gain an estate as normal with cards that specifically call for them (Baron). Maybe with other gainers as well. I'm leaving that open for now.
The way you worded it 4 Fiefdoms would provide 16VP.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 11:13:10 pm »

Correct, that's a typo. I think the reward is warranted if one can manage to get all four in 4 player.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:15:07 pm by GeneralRamos »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 01:56:06 am »

Correct, that's a typo. I think the reward is warranted if one can manage to get all four in 4 player.
I agree. Furthermore a lot of people do not play Dominion with 4 players anyway.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 08:43:16 pm »
+1

Savings

Just realized something broken about this one. As worded, you only need $1 unspent to put them all on your Tavern mat, no matter how many you have, effectively making all but the first one Coin Hirelings, which would probably cost $6! As it is now, I'd say it's way too strong for $1.

Based on what you said in your post, I'm guessing that your intention was that you would need $2 unspent to put two on top, $3 to put 3 on top, etc. In that case, you'll just need to change the wording (I know my first paragraph is true because of the rulebook explanation for Wine Merchant). Here's my suggestion:

Savings:
$1
When you play this, you may put this on your Tavern mat. If you do, this is worth $0.

At the start of your buy phase, you may call this, to play it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:46:34 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 03:08:41 am »

About how Savings changes the opening, it can convert a 2-5 into a 1-6 opening which is only strong if there are no (good) 2$ cards. In the presence of Baker and 7$ cards a 1-7 opening is possible. Sounds pretty strong but then again the chance to have Baker, a 7$ card and a 2-5 opening are fairly small so this is an edge case.
Savings can also convert 3-4 into 2-5.

I don't think that this is more than a slight volatility increase so it should not be much of an issue but the card definitely needs to get tested.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 07:44:50 am »

Just realized something broken about this one. As worded, you only need $1 unspent to put them all on your Tavern mat, no matter how many you have, effectively making all but the first one Coin Hirelings, which would probably cost $6! As it is now, I'd say it's way too strong for $1.
Based on what you said in your post, I'm guessing that your intention was that you would need $2 unspent to put two on top, $3 to put 3 on top, etc. In that case, you'll just need to change the wording (I know my first paragraph is true because of the rulebook explanation for Wine Merchant). Here's my suggestion:
Savings:
$1
When you play this, you may put this on your Tavern mat. If you do, this is worth $0.
So the case you describe it pretty fringe, since each player starts with only one of these, max. It doesn't replace all their coppers, just one of them. The only way another player would get a second Savings is from Masquerade or Thief, really. As for the cost, since you can't buy them, it's not as big a deal--it matters most for interaction with trashing cards that care about cost. With one exception, they're all priced to be un-gainable from the trash.

About how Savings changes the opening, it can convert a 2-5 into a 1-6 opening which is only strong if there are no (good) 2$ cards. In the presence of Baker and 7$ cards a 1-7 opening is possible. Sounds pretty strong but then again the chance to have Baker, a 7$ card and a 2-5 opening are fairly small so this is an edge case.
I don't think that this is more than a slight volatility increase so it should not be much of an issue but the card definitely needs to get tested.
Yeah, I think the difference can be significant in some cases, but will rarely be that volatile. Plus, to get such a 1-6 opening you do have to pull Savings on turn 1, not turn 2. Heirlooms could give you 6 on turn 1 as well, but shuffles before your second turn.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 09:13:24 am »

About the wording, I think you should change it. In decks with Masquerade, Thief and Ambassador you can end up with two Savings.

About Heirlooms, I do not like it as it changes the opening too much. It is not just that the coin range is increased to 6$ but that you can draw the card you purchased on turn 1 with a probability of 1/6 on turn 2.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 09:36:02 am »

Savings:
$1
So the case you describe it pretty fringe, since each player starts with only one of these, max. It doesn't replace all their coppers, just one of them. The only way another player would get a second Savings is from Masquerade or Thief, really. As for the cost, since you can't buy them, it's not as big a deal--it matters most for interaction with trashing cards that care about cost. With one exception, they're all priced to be un-gainable from the trash.

Yeah, I think the difference can be significant in some cases, but will rarely be that volatile. Plus, to get such a 1-6 opening you do have to pull Savings on turn 1, not turn 2. Heirlooms could give you 6 on turn 1 as well, but shuffles before your second turn.

*Facepalms.* I'm an idiot. Apparently, I didn't think about what this thread is called, so I thought that savings was a kingdom supply pile. Forget what I said, nothing to see here.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 09:54:17 am »

About the wording, I think you should change it. In decks with Masquerade, Thief and Ambassador you can end up with two Savings.
I still don't think it's worth the wording. You can't Ambassador it because it's not in the supply.
Thieving it takes considerable luck (and an opponent willing to buy Thief in the first place :P). With Masquerade it's your own fault if you choose to pass that as your card. And besides, 2 Savings is essentially just an extra copper per turn, until you finally need both.

About Heirlooms, I do not like it as it changes the opening too much. It is not just that the coin range is increased to 6$ but that you can draw the card you purchased on turn 1 with a probability of 1/6 on turn 2.
Well, the dynamic of drawing the card you bought on turn one on turn two is the point. Both players are in that boat. I'm not committing to any changes to until problems turn up in testing. So far it's been fine.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.382 seconds with 21 queries.