Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Black market + travellers  (Read 8892 times)

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
Black market + travellers
« on: November 02, 2015, 01:15:53 pm »

Excerpt from adventures rulebook:
When a player discards a Traveller from play, he may exchange it for the card indicated; he returns the card being exchanged to its pile, takes the card he is exchanging it for, and puts that card into his discard pile. For example when exchanging Peasant for
Soldier, he puts Peasant back into its pile and takes a Soldier and puts it into his discard pile. Exchanging is not trashing or gaining, and so does not trigger abilities like Travelling Fair's.
Does pile count as the black market pile?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Re: Black market + travellers
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 01:24:20 pm »

Does pile count as the black market pile?

If you bought a Traveller from the Black Market, you're out of luck. http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Traveller

Exchanging must happen both ways; there must be somewhere for the discarding card to return to. If a Traveller is bought using Black Market, there is no pile to return it to and therefore it cannot be exchanged.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 01:25:53 pm »
+1

See http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13044.msg483948 for official ruling. It turns out that there is a specific meaning of "exchange" that isn't in the printed rules.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 02:31:39 pm »

Vote to close as duplicate.

Oh wait, this isn't StackExchange. Never mind.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 03:17:52 pm »
+1

Fuck StackExchange.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 10:46:30 pm »

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 10:59:58 pm »
+2

Fuck StackExchange.

Umm, what?

The whole "close as duplicate" thing, I dunno, there just seems to be this attitude that pervades stackexchange that I dislike.  It's as if the entire website fancies itself a university department - they have no interest in actually, you know, telling you how to do something.  They expect you to struggle through the answer first, and then maybe they'll point out a couple things you did wrong.  That method of teaching just grates on me so much.  If you're going to teach someone, teach them.  The whole "you'll learn better if you struggle through it" is bullshit.  I think what it is is that programmers have this whole "that's the way I learned it, so that's how you should learn it, too" attitude that is just so stupid.  Ugh.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 12:23:44 am »
+2

Fuck StackExchange.

Umm, what?

The whole "close as duplicate" thing, I dunno, there just seems to be this attitude that pervades stackexchange that I dislike.  It's as if the entire website fancies itself a university department - they have no interest in actually, you know, telling you how to do something.  They expect you to struggle through the answer first, and then maybe they'll point out a couple things you did wrong.  That method of teaching just grates on me so much.  If you're going to teach someone, teach them.  The whole "you'll learn better if you struggle through it" is bullshit.  I think what it is is that programmers have this whole "that's the way I learned it, so that's how you should learn it, too" attitude that is just so stupid.  Ugh.

I feel like you have a misunderstanding of how programmers work and learn.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 12:34:11 am »
+3

Fuck StackExchange.

Umm, what?

Give a man a fish...

Edit: I was a bit unnecessarily terse and abrasive here...

The thing about StackOverflow is that for the vast majority of situations you probably (really really) don't want to try posting a new topic there.  If you have a simple programming question odds are exceedingly low it hasn't already been asked there 10 times. Say what you want about their policies, but they have a goal for their website and they have certainly nailed it. If I type a programming question into Google, in 90% of cases, the top result is StackOverflow, and 90% of the time that result has the answer I was looking for. This is what StackOverflow wants, and it is the driving force behind most of their policies. Their CEO came and spoke to all of Software Engineering at my company. It was really pretty fascinating to hear about their process.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:40:14 pm by Deadlock39 »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 08:35:22 am »

Fuck StackExchange.

Umm, what?

Give a man a fish...

The thing about StackExchange is that for the vast majority of situations you probably (really really) don't want to try posting a new topic there.  If you have a simple programming question odds are exceedingly low it hasn't already been asked there 10 times. Say what you want about their policies, but they have a goal for their website and they have certainly nailed it. If I type a programming question into Google, in 90% of cases, the top result is StackExchange, and 90% of the time that result has the answer I was looking for. This is what StackExchange wants, and it is the driving force behind most of their policies. Their CEO came and spoke to all of Software Engineering at my company. It was really pretty fascinating to hear about their process.

Okay, that's certainly true.  But it's still not a particularly friendly environment for someone new to programming.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 12:20:18 pm »
+2

Fuck StackExchange.

Umm, what?

Give a man a fish...

The thing about StackExchange is that for the vast majority of situations you probably (really really) don't want to try posting a new topic there.  If you have a simple programming question odds are exceedingly low it hasn't already been asked there 10 times. Say what you want about their policies, but they have a goal for their website and they have certainly nailed it. If I type a programming question into Google, in 90% of cases, the top result is StackExchange, and 90% of the time that result has the answer I was looking for. This is what StackExchange wants, and it is the driving force behind most of their policies. Their CEO came and spoke to all of Software Engineering at my company. It was really pretty fascinating to hear about their process.

Okay, that's certainly true.  But it's still not a particularly friendly environment for someone new to programming.

And it doesn't have to be.  If you're so new that you can't search and then follow the already given answer, there are other websites that are far more appropriate.  Read through some tutorials, take some actual lessons.  A lot of programming is about combining and applying previous bits of knowledge in novel ways.  To learn programming is to learn how to do that, rather than have every little thing spelled out for you.  Even then, StackExchange helps out a lot with specific instructions, so long as you are able to use the search function.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 12:32:35 pm »
+3

Also, you guys are mixing up StackExchange with StackOverflow. StackExchange is a platform used by hundreds of Q&A websites, the largest of which is StackOverflow. The Board and Card Games StackExchange site is a great place to get answers about board games.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 12:43:10 pm »

And it doesn't have to be.  If you're so new that you can't search and then follow the already given answer, there are other websites that are far more appropriate.  Read through some tutorials, take some actual lessons.  A lot of programming is about combining and applying previous bits of knowledge in novel ways.  To learn programming is to learn how to do that, rather than have every little thing spelled out for you.  Even then, StackExchange helps out a lot with specific instructions, so long as you are able to use the search function.

True, but there is an extreme dearth of resources for intermediate levels - there's all sorts of "Hello world!" tutorials out there, and a lot of advanced pick-at-your-code expert help, but very little in the way of "okay, now let's write a real program" sorts of guides.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 12:47:23 pm »

Also, you guys are mixing up StackExchange with StackOverflow. StackExchange is a platform used by hundreds of Q&A websites, the largest of which is StackOverflow. The Board and Card Games StackExchange site is a great place to get answers about board games.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 01:03:17 pm »

Yeah I think in this case it would have been good to clearly emphasize either StackOverflow or StackExchange. Saying StackExchange sucks because it's unfriendly to programmers isn't very logical.

461.weavile

• Salvager
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 01:14:30 am »
+2

eHalcyon, are... are you... putting two spaces after every sentence? I... I can't process. I don't assume to know when you were taught how to type, but unless every character takes up the same width, the recommended use for spaces has been one space for about 20 years
Warlords and Wizards is my favorite expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 01:41:00 am »
+2

eHalcyon, are... are you... putting two spaces after every sentence? I... I can't process. I don't assume to know when you were taught how to type, but unless every character takes up the same width, the recommended use for spaces has been one space for about 20 years

I'm aware of the modern recommendation.  It's muscle memory at this point though. :P

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 01:51:56 am »

I'm aware of the modern recommendation.  It's muscle memory at this point though. :P

I do the same thing.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 02:00:30 am »
+1

I'd Rather See Two Spaces After Each Sentence Than See Capitalized Words Through The Whole Thing.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 07:57:45 am »

Wow.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 05:24:17 pm »

I've always used two spaces.   What's so bad about it?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 09:28:17 pm »
+3

Wastes disc space. Servers aren't free you know!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 05:09:02 am »
+2

Tabs!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 08:54:02 am »

When you mess up and accidentally put in three spaces. Then all of society comes crashing down.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 11:05:42 am »

I do the same thing.

Same here.  Muscle memory from submitting stories in monospaced fonts.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.328 seconds with 21 queries.