Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: hasn't ranking the cards just been a goddamn blast  (Read 21537 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: hasn't ranking the cards just been a goddamn blast
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2015, 04:09:47 pm »

Guys, it's probably just a ranking list of upvote potential per reference on this site.  Expect Scout and Moat to be pretty high.
Are you saying other people are going to put Scout high?

I'm putting it dead last. I can't think of any other card being worse than Scout. Sorry.

I've actually got Adventurer just under Scout, which is just under Feast, which is just under Haven.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2015, 04:13:07 pm »

I have Transmute at dead last. I consider its effect better than Scout's or Adventurer's, but needing the Potion to get there makes it so much worse.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2015, 04:55:05 pm »

Yay! Some good players (JSH and Swearerthegreat) 'agree' with me!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2015, 07:44:34 pm »
+16

So much hate for scout here that I just had to open Chapel/Scout.
And what a Boss Scout it was, pairing all my estates with Chapel on t3. So on t4 I had all my coppers available to buy that other rock star called Mine.
Join the Dominion League!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2015, 07:45:52 pm »

And what a Boss Scout it was, pairing all my estates with Chapel on t3. So on t4 I had all my coppers available to buy that other rock star called Mine.
And Scout was awesome for you!

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2015, 07:47:20 pm »

i can picture the headlines already
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2015, 12:02:13 am »
+4

Guys, it's probably just a ranking list of upvote potential per reference on this site.  Expect Scout and Moat to be pretty high.
Are you saying other people are going to put Scout high?

I'm putting it dead last. I can't think of any other card being worse than Scout. Sorry.

I've actually got Adventurer just under Scout, which is just under Feast, which is just under Haven.

haven? Haven's a great card.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2015, 12:24:35 am »
+3

I wouldn't say great, but Haven is definitely better than Feast, Scout, and Adventurer.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2015, 01:02:53 am »

I wouldn't say great, but Haven is definitely better than Feast, Scout, and Adventurer.
Opinion alert! I do think Haven is better than Feast though.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2015, 08:14:42 am »

I have Transmute at dead last. I consider its effect better than Scout's or Adventurer's, but needing the Potion to get there makes it so much worse.

Transmute is not worse than Adventurer

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2015, 08:56:00 am »

Transmute is not worse than Adventurer

They both suffer incredibly from opportunity cost. Transmute is almost never worth a Potion buy by itself, and Adventurer is almost always inferior to Gold.

I'd say they're pretty similar in (lack of) usefulness.

All cards can be useful in some cases. If there were a card that was universally useless, Donald X would not have created it. And you're a very strong player, meaning (among other things) that you're good in finding niche uses for relatively weak cards. I don't think this proves that Scout is somehow not worthy of a place in the bottom 10.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2015, 09:33:01 am »
+1

Adventurer is better than Scout. Sure, it's worse than Moat and costs $6, but sometimes you just desperately need any draw you can possibly get to make your engine working (or the more likely scenario is that there already was some other better draw, but the pile was emptied and you still don't have enough draw).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2015, 09:36:48 am »

Adventurer is better than Scout. Sure, it's worse than Moat and costs $6, but sometimes you just desperately need any draw you can possibly get to make your engine working (or the more likely scenario is that there already was some other better draw, but the pile was emptied and you still don't have enough draw).

But that's just it - Adventurer doesn't really give engine draw, unless you're doing something with Vault or Bank or Storyteller, and with any of those cards, you'd probably rather just have Gold.  Or a Treasure Trove.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2015, 09:49:33 am »

Adventurer is better than Transmute because it's a mediocre helper for Horn of Plenty decks in which you are discarding Horns to get through the deck. Transmute is at its best when trashing Ruins for Duchies is a good thing (very rare) and occasionally in games with Vineyard and Familiar in which two piles are already empty and you need to buy an action that costs less than 3P. Also, you do not need to spend a turn buying a Potion for Adventurer, so it inherently has less opportunity cost than Transmute. As a terminal, it also tends to do more for you, though we're separating trash from garbage here.

Edit: Also, Adventurer is not terrible in Procession games sometimes, but you don't specifically go out of your way to get them; they just kind of end up in the deck so there wasn't much of a lost cause. Transmute can't do that.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:51:04 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2015, 12:20:13 pm »
+1

Adventurer also gets much better in Colony games, especially with some trashing. But on the other hand, you'd still rather play something different than Adventurer-BM on a Colony board ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:02:50 pm by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2015, 01:54:59 pm »

I like Adventurer in Vineyards games without superb draw since it helps you win the Vineyards split.  Also like jsh's example of HoP.

Basically if having a specific treasure card in hand and playing it more consistently than your opponent is a big deal, and the draw is not consistent enough to get you there quickly, Adventurer can make the difference. Admittedly really niche.  And of course there was no thing such as Potion or HoP available to the general public when base Dominion was released...
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2015, 02:38:38 pm »

Adventurer also gets much better in Colony games, especially with some trashing. But on the other hand, you'd still rather play something different then Adventurer-BM on a Colony board ;)

on a colony + nothing useful board, adventurer is better than probably your second gold and almost certainly better than your third. these are rare, but still more likely than the "scout can be good" or "transmute can be good" boards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2015, 02:41:53 pm »

But that's just it - Adventurer doesn't really give engine draw, unless you're doing something with Vault or Bank or Storyteller, and with any of those cards, you'd probably rather just have Gold.  Or a Treasure Trove.

It does give engine draw. It takes cards from your deck and puts them into your hand. Sure, the cards you get aren't super useful, but that means your Highways will draw you useful cards that much more often.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2015, 03:52:33 pm »
+2

I have a friend who told me he thinks Haven is awful. He proceeded to not buy them with $2's while I did, with both of us having otherwise similar strategies. I destroyed him. He now thinks Haven can be not awful occasionally, so I guess I made progress?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2015, 03:57:23 pm »

Oh yeah, Haven is definitely good. Usually it just makes a junk card miss the reshuffle; that's already worth buying over nothing in situations where you don't want any other $2s or $3s. It can also be more useful than that if there's a terminal collision or if you want to connect certain cards or just to get a mini-Tactician effect.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2015, 03:59:39 pm »
+2

I think people tend to think Haven is awful because the first time they see it, they think "oh, a cantrip for $2, why not?", pick up a bunch of them, and now they have a reduced hand size and they're all sad.

Haven's second cousin Gear, despite being terminal, is often a much better choice.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2015, 07:22:49 pm »

while we're just fuckin slamming into these rankings lets go ahead and imagine: how would you rank gold and silver?
for me: silver is #17 in the threes (between plan and guide)
gold is #14 in the sixplusses (between hunting grounds and peddler)
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2015, 09:43:35 am »

Haven's second cousin Gear, despite being terminal, is often a much better choice.

Gear is not something you can just pick up on a dead turn unless you have the terminal space for it. It's also usually not in the kingdom.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2015, 12:54:33 pm »

while we're just fuckin slamming into these rankings lets go ahead and imagine: how would you rank gold and silver?
I'm not sure about Gold, but Silver would be No.1 without any doubt. Obviously, it is a powerhouse on money boards; but also, on zany engine or sloggy boards, getting those 5$ cards is the crucial key to winning. And most of the times, silver is part of the best way to get them.
 None of us is a big silver fan, but this is because it's always there. If it wasn't, we would miss it like hell in many games, and a player who never gets Silver would have a tough time against Lord Bottington on a regular basis. I wouldn't say the same about, e.g., masquerade.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2015, 01:02:11 pm »
+2

I'm not sure about Gold, but Silver would be No.1 without any doubt. Obviously, it is a powerhouse on money boards; but also, on zany engine or sloggy boards, getting those 5$ cards is the crucial key to winning. And most of the times, silver is part of the best way to get them.
 None of us is a big silver fan, but this is because it's always there. If it wasn't, we would miss it like hell in many games, and a player who never gets Silver would have a tough time against Lord Bottington on a regular basis. I wouldn't say the same about, e.g., masquerade.

Without Silver, Bureaucrat wouldn't be the most powerful card in Dominion.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 2.462 seconds with 21 queries.