Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My Thoughts on Adventures after 30 or so Games  (Read 3207 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
My Thoughts on Adventures after 30 or so Games
« on: September 15, 2015, 08:16:35 am »
+2

So, I have had a chance to play more Adventures games. I have played roughly 30 games, maybe 40 games, so I am still very much a noob with the cards. But, I wanted to share some of my thoughts.

1) The more irl I play, the more I can't wait for this to be online. This expansion is AMAZING!

2) Donald X. really likes to create powerful cards that cost $2 to purchase. Champion is like holy crap when you play it. I think it is even more powerful than KC and that costs $7 to buy and you need multiples to really take full advantage of it. Chapel and Page are crazy power cards. Peasant is up there, as well. Why does $2 get the strongest cards in the game? Not complaining though.

3) Events are great. Some of the effects are weaker than others, but in most games, I often bought the available events at least once. My favorites are Mission and Pilgrimage. Lost Arts is a strong runner up. Oh, and Lost Arts is also crazy powerful. Experience has taught me it is worth skipping a Wharf buy for, or pretty much anything for that matter. When you hit $6, even with villages in your deck, buy this event.

4) I finally played a game where I bought Transmogrify. I thought the card would suck, so I kept avoiding it, but was pleasantly surprised. I still need a lot more experience with the card, but you can do interesting things with Transmogrify. Though, only being able to call it at the start of the turn is a bit of a small drawback.

5) Ferry plays a lot differently than I anticipated. It really changes the game. Sometimes, you are rushing for a good $5 or $6 cost, but a lot of times, you have to take a step back and ask if you would rather buy something else such as a source of +buy or trashing. The card reminds me a lot of Stonemason. It can lead to crazy pile endings. You can make $2's cost $0 and $3 cost $1 which is actually a pretty big deal. The card is surprisingly very strategic to use. Out of all the events, I think this may very well be the most strategic event in the game. Not what I was expecting.

6) Royal Carriage is so much better than TR. You can do some very interesting things with RC such as call 4 RCs on one Mountebank.

7) Here is a quick power ranking of what I consider the most powerful cards in the set starting with the most powerful. Page, Magpie, Peasant, Lost Arts, Haunted Woods, Ferry, Lost City, Ball, Swamp Hag, Pilgrimage, Royal Carriage

So, those are my thoughts. It will be interesting to look back on this a year later after I get 1000ish online games under my belt and see how my views change (or don't).

What are your thoughts on Adventures?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:39:29 am by Beyond Awesome »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: My Thoughts on Adventures after 30 or so Games
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 01:18:03 pm »

Champion is good, but it varies in how good it is.

Making everything nonterminal sounds great, but the opportunity cost is in how long it takes to get a Champion played. That's at least 5 shuffles in to the game. You can't build a deck of just terminals since you would otherwise have a very shitty deck until turn 12 or so.

Would definitely not say it's better than King's Court, though obviously if  there are a lot of attacks it gets much more valuable.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 03:32:49 pm »
+2

...Hmm, this suggests Champion combos well with trash-for-benefit—once you have a Champion, you can get rid of your villages.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:14:17 pm by AJD »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 12:52:21 am »

Gear and Inheritance belong on that list of most powerful in the set, IMO. They're also two of my favorites. Gear is the kind of card that is much more powerful than it looks (I just introduced my gaming group to Merchant Guild -also a lot more powerful than it looks).

I have avoided playing with Page and Ferry so far. I'm okay with ferry, I guess it just didn't look to me to be as fun as you make it sound. But I'm doubtful about how the page line will be liked in my gaming group with the combination of Warrior and Champion.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 05:08:52 am »

Gear and Inheritance belong on that list of most powerful in the set, IMO. They're also two of my favorites. Gear is the kind of card that is much more powerful than it looks (I just introduced my gaming group to Merchant Guild -also a lot more powerful than it looks).

I have avoided playing with Page and Ferry so far. I'm okay with ferry, I guess it just didn't look to me to be as fun as you make it sound. But I'm doubtful about how the page line will be liked in my gaming group with the combination of Warrior and Champion.

I forgot about Inheritance. It can be a pretty fun card, especially when you are able to Inherit say a Highway. I think it is my third favorite event behind Mission and Pilgrimage. Maybe as time goes it will become my favorite event since a lot of people seem to like it.

Overall, I think the card is good, but also very board dependent, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess having played a couple of games with crap $4's and good $5's makes me think the card is average. Don't get me wrong. If you have cost reduction or good $4's like Ironmongers or Smithys or whatnots, it's worth getting, but I am not sure it is among the strongest cards in the set. Maybe it is. I have only played, I think, 4 games that had Inheritance, so not really a good sample size.

As far as Ferry goes, I would not say the card is very fun, but that it really makes you think. It feels like when that card is on the board, it can feel like there are so many options to choose from. You have a lot of choices to make. Although sometimes, playing with it is obvious like pile out all the Minions.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 12:05:08 pm »
+5

...Hmm, this suggests Champion combos well with trash-for-benefit—once you have a Champion, you can get rid of your villages.

Or just use a mining village.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »
+1

Shanty Town is also improved.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 02:16:50 pm »

Very true, although you will still sometimes have more than one Shanty Town in a hand and have to play some of them for no cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 02:51:02 pm »
+3

Very true, although you will still sometimes have more than one Shanty Town in a hand and have to play some of them for no cards.

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.