Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Why don't we usually play with Colonies?  (Read 9618 times)

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't we usually play with Colonies?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 12:28:32 pm »
+5

I'm having flashbacks to probability discussions from the initial Prosperity spoiler thread on BGG.

So many good quotes there:

As for whether Quarry is too powerful, it's worth observing that it doesn't help you get Gold or Provinces. A ton of Actions may be fun but where are your points coming from?

I just realized a shocking fact. You can now Swindle Provinces into Peddlers...
In practice this rarely happens, because the Peddlers are usually gone before the Provinces are being purchased.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 05:57:06 pm »
+8

So why isn't Colony the standard?
Colony predates me showing the game to RGG. It certainly could have been in the main set, and would have been if I had thought that always having Colony out was the way to go.

The game wants to be a good length in minutes, and a good length in turns. The 4 player game sacrifices turns for minutes; I don't know if that was the right move. Possibly there should be 16 Provinces for 4 players.

I liked the length of non-Colony games better and well that's that, that's why Colony isn't the standard.

People like to calculate the chance of having Colony given that you own everything, but remember that the rule scales Colony appearances to the individual. Some people do not have everything! If you just have 100 kingdom cards, a 4th of your experience is Prosperity and you see Colony a 4th of the time. It's just like how you see Peddler less often when you have more expansions. The expansions expand the game by providing new things that you sometimes see.

I know there are people who always play with Colony and man I don't mind. You can always have a Village too if you want, or always have Moat in games with attacks. I set it up how I like it but what actually happens is up to you.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 01:17:13 am »

On one hand, I also think the game would be more fun sometimes if it lasted just a few more turns.
On the other hand, I just played two games with colonies where they definitely didn't make the game any longer than usual. In fact, one of the games was shorter than most.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150814/log.54befebbe4b0d1f1f7e8cea9.1439615509886.txt

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150814/log.516dc40ce4b082c74d7c8baa.1439614988660.txt

TheEmerged

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 04:30:36 pm »
+1

As I've mentioned before, I bought Prosperity very shortly after buying the main set, so our group has pretty much had Colony & Platinum from the beginning.  As a result, we got into the habit of always having that 4th treasure & VP on the table... and we've ended up houseruling it.  I now keep all our alternate treasures & VP cards in a seperate box, and we randomly pick a fourth VP card every kingdom - and then semi-randomly pick a fourth Treasure.  I say semi-randomly because if the VP is Colony we just go ahead and use Platinum, and if the VP is Feodom everybody starts chanting for Masterpiece.  Until recently we only had 4 alt VP cards so about 25% of our games were Colony games. 

On the issue about how many VP cards... we've toyed with the notion of using "4 Provinces per player, 4th stack only counts as a stack" but we haven't actually tried it.  Most of our games are 3 or 4 players, we see a 5th player from time to time but it's almost never 2 player for us.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.325 seconds with 20 queries.