Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Seprix's Card Creation Emporium  (Read 21571 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Seprix's Card Creation Emporium
« on: July 27, 2015, 12:07:29 am »
+1

Hi there. I'm going to try my hand at making my own cards, but instead of posting specific 'sets', I will likely post card ideas that are a bit raw and a decent starting point with a sort of theme, and then whittle down and introduce things down until I think they're good enough. Once that happens, I'll add them to the post below as a nice looking shiny card. Anyways, I already have some ideas, and I'll post them.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Seprix's Card Creation Emporium
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:07:41 am »

<finished cards>
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 12:22:27 am »
+1

First theme: The "Rebalancing" of Potion Cost Cards & Various new uses

Ideas I will try to explore: Potion not always being a dead card, Potion only cost cards that are useful, More Potion cost cards, Cards that allow extra options in interactions with Potion cards

Potter - Action;

+
+ Buy
You may put your deck into the discard pile. You may discard a Potion from your hand. If you do, gain card costing up to $.

(Chancellor Variant that gives you the opportunity to use your Potions for something! I might have this card gain Duchies instead, might be fun.)

Acolyte - Action;

+
+ Buy

If you buy an Action card at the end of your turn, trash this card.

(buying events or Black Market buys obviously do not apply, and you can buy VP and Treasures with no problem. This card is designed to help BM, though it might be able to be made stronger as a result of the Potion cost delay. You cannot regain it from the trash as a result of it's Potion cost, stopping Graverobber + Engine for example. Will tinker, but fun idea I think. $4 might even be too weak, I might spike it up to $5.)

More to come, just some ideas for now.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:29:13 am by Seprix »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 01:11:19 am »
+3

Acolyte wording needs some work. You don't buy cards "at the end of your turn". Unless you meant that that's when you trash the card. Either way, why not just:

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 01:15:40 am »
+2

Acolyte wording needs some work. You don't buy cards "at the end of your turn". Unless you meant that that's when you trash the card. Either way, why not just:

Small correction. But yes, this is definitely the way to go.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 04:27:06 am »

Potter is interesting. My first thought was that it would be too weak, but then I thought about how it would play in a Gardens rush, and that would actually be pretty strong I believe. Though I imagine that it's hard to balance this ot so that it's not crazily overpowered in a Gardens rush and at the same time not a complete dud on boards without other Potion costs (and without Gardens).

Acolyte... I'm not a big fan of cards that help BM, but this may have enough other nice interactions to be worth it. With gainers, you can still build an engine. It's also a very good pickup once you're engine is running and you only want to green. In fact, It may be a bit too strong in that case, especially with other Potion costs around. It also slightly combos with Philosopher's Stone.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 04:27:46 am »

I gotta say I like the fact that Potter is the first card that makes it a viable strategy to empty the Potion pile.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 04:29:22 am »
+19

But a card that works well with Potions should obviously be called Snape, not Potter.

shmeur

• Young Witch
  • I'm a Dominion card lol.
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 09:12:43 am »
+3

But a card that works well with Potions should obviously be called Snape, not Potter.
10 Points to Faustindor!
"I can move mountains; I can work a miracle."

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 11:40:26 pm »

A card idea based on this post. I think it's cute enough to share.

Basically, it's this:

Say you play what Haddock says before, with the Snake Charmer and the Snake. The Snake Charmer hands out Snakes, and they're bad and forced played. Here's where my idea comes in. They're forced played, so why have them do anything bad at all? If they're in your hand at the start of your turn, they get played before you do anything else, so it's almost like a discarding attack forever in your deck. Obviously if you draw the card it does nothing but give +1 Action. It's like Ruined Village, I guess. Just shooting this idea out for now, might expand on it. I like it. It's cute.

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 11:57:48 pm »
+4

Seprix, friend, welcome to junking 101: Confusions
Gender happened.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 08:45:01 am »

+2 Actions

I will be writing more cards here very shortly.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 10:48:26 am »
+2

Some card ideas:

Queen's Chamber -Action

$4

You may play an Action card. If you do, return it to your hand.

Guardian - Action
$6
Choose two: +$1, + Buy, + Action, +1 Card.
You may discard any number of cards. For each card you discard, choose one: $1, or +1 Action.

Rebels - Action - Attack
$4
+$2
+$1
Each other player gains a Copper.
If a player reveals a Reaction, that player gains a Curse, putting it into his hand.
If a player reveals a Reaction, +$1.

Racketeer - Action- Attack
$4
+1 Card
+$1

Each other player gains two Forgeries.

Forgery - Treasure
$0*
+$1
When you play this, return this to the Supply Pile.

Politician - Action
$5
+$4
+ Buy

Gain 4 Forgeries.

Some ideas.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:30:32 pm by Seprix »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 03:21:58 pm »

About Queen's Chamber, while there might be situations in which you'd rather postpone the second execution of an Action card you'd most of the times wanna play it immediately if it saves an Action like Throne Room does.
In short, it is too weak relatively to Throne Room.
I like your ideas about the one-shot Copper. About the Copper junker, I think that it is a great idea to do one but I do not like the anti-Reaction part at all. Just seems a bit antithetical to the general idea of Reactions which are in general not that superstrong compared to junking so I see no reason to make a junker that disincentivizes players from going for Reactions in his presence.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:25:32 pm by tristan »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 03:39:10 pm »

Just seems a bit antithetical to the general idea of Reactions which are in general not that superstrong compared to junking so I see no reason to make a junker that disincentivizes players from going for Reactions in his presence.

1. They can react to other attacks that are not Rebels and be fine.
2. Moat, Watchtower, and Trader at the very least block the curse. There's a hilarious interaction I discovered there where you can give infinite curses with Rebels and Trader turns them all into Silvers.

Yeah, I'll probably revamp Rebels, and ditch the Reaction clause. I instead added some thing about if the Copper Pile is empty, you get a fancy bonus. Probably won't usually come into play, and is probably mostly useless.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:41:40 pm by Seprix »

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 05:08:44 pm »
+1

Could you instead give Rebels a bonus when someone plays a Reaction?

For example, 'If another player plays a reaction while this is in play, +1 Card' or some such.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 05:10:27 pm »

For example, 'If another player plays a reaction while this is in play, +1 Card' or some such.

That is a lot better, I think. Since a card draw on a Terminal is probably undesirable, I made it give money instead. The more Reactions you reveal, the more money I'd potentially get.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:12:17 pm by Seprix »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 05:24:13 pm »

That is a lot better, I think. Since a card draw on a Terminal is probably undesirable, I made it give money instead. The more Reactions you reveal, the more money I'd potentially get.
This is even more crazy, not to mention that it scales badly (from a terminal Silver to a terminal Gold and then a terminal +4$ are pretty huge jumps). You get on average double extra coins in a 3P than in a 2P game.
Again, reactions are usually weaker than attacks so I fail to see why they should be nerfed or why there should be a reaction to a reaction. This is just the mirror image of a reaction that hurts the attacker and nearly as bad.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 05:29:12 pm »

This is even more crazy, not to mention that it scales badly (from a terminal Silver to a terminal Gold and then a terminal +4$ are pretty huge jumps). You get on average double extra coins in a 3P than in a 2P game.
Again, reactions are usually weaker than attacks so I fail to see why they should be nerfed or why there should be a reaction to a reaction. This is just the mirror image of a reaction that hurts the attacker and nearly as bad.

I don't think it's as bad as you say it is. The whole curse thing is bad, but if I gain a dollar, it's not terrible for the revealer. He can decide to gain a copper instead, which really isn't all that terrible in the end game. I could modify the price, or make Rebels only give +$1 coin instead initially.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 06:30:12 pm »

I don't think it's as bad as you say it is. The whole curse thing is bad, but if I gain a dollar, it's not terrible for the revealer. He can decide to gain a copper instead, which really isn't all that terrible in the end game. I could modify the price, or make Rebels only give +$1 coin instead initially.
Ehm, junkers are rarely bad in the end game. ^^
If Rebels were an unconditional Copper it most definitely be too weak. I am not saying that it is too strong right now but the increase from terminal Silver to terminal Gold and then terminal +4$ is sharper than you seem to think.
You might wanna try to seek another way to balance this card.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 06:36:51 pm »

It could cost $3 instead, to give out a Copper.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 06:43:58 pm »

It could cost $3 instead, to give out a Copper.
I'd simply playtest the vanilla terminal silver Copper junker at a price of 4$ and then see whether it is too weak or too strong.

Marcory

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 12:32:21 am »

On second thought, the "give a bonus for a reaction" thing is broken, for a bunch of reasons:

-You can reveal the same Reaction card multiple times, with no accountability mechanism to prove whether you have, say, multiple Secret Chambers in the same hand

-It can be political: you can play kingmaker in a multiplayer game by choosing to reveal or not reveal a reaction and thereby give or not give the Rebel the ability to buy the last Province

-Practically, it might case some serious AP, especially in multiplayer

The only way it might work is if you have 'If anyone revealed a reaction when you played this, +X"

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 02:12:39 am »

On second thought, the "give a bonus for a reaction" thing is broken, for a bunch of reasons:

-You can reveal the same Reaction card multiple times, with no accountability mechanism to prove whether you have, say, multiple Secret Chambers in the same hand
Why should you do that? It only helps the opponent.
Also note that the card doesn't say that each other player has to play Reactions. It is just a kind of reaction to a Reaction.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 12:28:22 pm »
+2

Some Event idea I've had:

Expansion- Cost: $0
Once per game: Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the card you trashed.

A fun one shot Expand. You could burn it now, or use it later to mill/get provinces.

Marcory

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 01:58:26 pm »

Once per game: Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the card you trashed.

A fun one shot Expand. You could burn it now, or use it later to mill/get provinces.

Wouldn't the correct move normally be to use it to open 5/4 or 5/5, trashing an Estate in the process?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 01:59:55 pm »

Wouldn't the correct move normally be to use it to open 5/4 or 5/5, trashing an Estate in the process?

Maybe. It doesn't give a +Buy though. I am considering having this event trash a card in play instead because of this though.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 09:44:42 pm »

This is mechanically identical to gambits from Star Realms. Naturally this idea doesn't work with Dominion as you will virtually always use them during the opening.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 12:12:28 pm »
+1

An idea on how to 'fix' Feast:

Feast $4
Action

Trash this.
--------------------------
When this is trashed, gain a card costing up to $5, and you may gain a card costing up to $2.

This buffs Feast a little in most cases. You can gain Feast with Ironworks, and then if you have a trasher such as Remake or Apprentice, you can go to town and trash Feast instead of playing it. The only nerf Feast gets is with Throne Room variants, but I think it is a worthwhile trade.

I still don't think it's quite strong enough, but it's a start. It's hard to make this stronger without making it a 'must buy' in boards it is in. I'm considering making Feast also let you gain a card costing up to two, so I put that there as an interesting option as well. I think this makes Feast a perfectly fine card now. It helps you pile out, and the effect doesn't help in the beginning of the game.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:16:17 pm by Seprix »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 03:13:11 pm »

This made me think of:

Spinning wheel - Event - $P
+1 Buy
Discard all your debt tokens.

It needs a bottom half to make there be a way of getting into debt.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:30:14 pm by spiralstaircase »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 12:34:02 pm »

This made me think of:

Spinning wheel - Event - $P
+1 Buy
Discard all your debt tokens.

It needs a bottom half to make there be a way of getting into debt.

This doesn't work. While you have debt tokens, you cannot buy cards or events. This would have to be a card that gets rid of debt tokens on-play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 04:03:31 pm »
+1

Or you can just use the golden rule and add "You may buy this card even if you are in debt."

Spinner Wheel Event - $P
+1 Buy
Choose one: Remove all debt, or +4$ and take 3 Debt after your turn ends.
You may buy this card even if you have debt.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2016, 06:48:17 pm »

Or you can just use the golden rule and add "You may buy this card even if you are in debt."

Spinner Wheel Event - $P
+1 Buy
Choose one: Remove all debt, or +4$ and take 3 Debt after your turn ends.
You may buy this card even if you have debt.

This is actually a cool idea. Are you suggesting Seprix take it for his own collection, or "emporium", by posting it here?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2016, 06:51:31 pm »

Potter seems good enough and makes use of the Chancellor effect which I like. It would be even better if it topdecked the gained card, after you put your deck into your discard pile, of course and might still be reasonably balanced.

I like Acolyte because it helps BM and there's so few cards nowadays that do that well enough. The best new ideas have to be cards that make slog a viable strategy. Those are probably hardest to design. If you can come up with such a card, you will gain even more of my respect.

Queen's Chamber is boring and probably too weak. Try it with +1 Action.

Guardian seems balanced but it does too many things for me, personally. Too many decisions to make. And that coming from me is saying a lot, if you look at some of my cards which are pretty complex.

I don't like Rebel reacting to Reactions with so few Reactions (not to mention good ones!) actually existing in the whole game. For the sake of good design, Rebel should also be a Reaction, but good luck coming up with something decent and original here :P

I like the basic idea of the Event Expansion. I don't like that it's once per game, it seems like a waste of an Event slot to me that way. Why not remove that clause and give it a reasonable debt cost instead?

Your 'fixed' version of Feast looks interesting and fun. Might still not be worth going for on many boards but has more combo potential than old Feast.

We should totally play some games with fan cards on Tabletop Simulator, if you like. I'm willing to help you test your stuff :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:10:34 pm by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2016, 08:05:19 pm »

I don't pay much mind to my cards. If Donald asked me to make a card for him hypothetically, I would probably currently choose none of these cards. I really like the Potion cost ones I did (Really, I do), but that obviously won't happen, and the other things I did thus far aren't worth doing, I don't think.

I don't have tabletop simulator. I would be interested in playing some fan cards sometime for sure.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2016, 08:19:37 pm »

I don't pay much mind to my cards. If Donald asked me to make a card for him hypothetically, I would probably currently choose none of these cards. I really like the Potion cost ones I did (Really, I do), but that obviously won't happen, and the other things I did thus far aren't worth doing, I don't think.

I don't have tabletop simulator. I would be interested in playing some fan cards sometime for sure.

So do you just not care about feedback on your other cards and have no intention to test them so they remain purely hypothetical? From what you wrote it seems like you don't even plan to put any more thoughts into your intitial ideas so they're basically hit-or-miss. Is that about right?
Check out my fan cards!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 08:24:36 pm »

I don't really know. I've never tested my cards, I've never really put all that much thought into them. One day I'll probably try and seriously make a fan expansion, but I haven't gotten any seriously good ideas so far. Most of the ideas are basically revamps of Donald's or variations. I think if I was to make a fantastic new card, I'd want to try something Donald has never tried before, which is probably not even possible, but hey. I want the experience to be very unique is what I'm trying to say.

I'm more than happy to play the cards I've made, but it's more of a starting point being thrown out there, little ideas, they weren't meant to be all that serious. Well, except the Feast fix. I actually quite like that. I'd like to buff it more, but then it becomes a must open card, and I don't know yet, I'll have to decide how to proceed with that one. I think Queen's Chamber sucks and is unoriginal anyways, the Guardian is kind of a Pawn rip off, you get the idea. I've had a couple of ideas for Dominion concepts, but nothing really thought out so far.

Like Donald, I want my potential cards to be fun and unique, but also a bit simpler. I don't want some crazy complex thing to be my cards if it can be avoided.

For example, the realm of reactions is a vast and unexplored place. I've had tons of weird ideas there, but that's also potentially confusing. So where do you go from there? Reactions that you can play that aren't on attacks, but you'd have to play them instead of revealing them, so they're not too strong. Sort of like Caravan Guard. But that's been done. You can do variations, but the idea is there already. I don't know, maybe I want the unattainable. Maybe I should be content with what I think of. There are only 4 or 5 Debt cards. Tons of interesting ideas.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:28:55 pm by Seprix »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2016, 08:40:49 pm »

You should only put more thought into and playtest cards of yours you actually like, of course. Developing a card is a slow process that should start with something you want to try that hasn't been there before, balancing comes later. So why even post ideas here you're not even a bit convinced of?
Check out my fan cards!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2016, 09:20:59 pm »

Placeholders, I guess. See what people think of them. It's kind of the beta stage right now.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2016, 11:16:39 am »

Two new ideas. I am starting to get an idea for an expansion anyways, so I might do it if I have time. Anyways, here are the ideas:

Village Square
Reserve - $3

When you gain this, put this on your Tavern mat.
At the start of your turn, +1 Action. At any time during your turn, you may exchange +1 Action for $2.
-----------------------------------------------------------
At the end of your turn, return this to the supply.

I wanted to make a pure Reserve card, without any Action to it. In a sense, it is very much like an Event, but it also has a reminder due to the physical card, so you know you can do those +Action trades. It is also a one-shot Village, which is kind of cool. It's basically a Diadem variant, but you have to pay for it every time. Combos with Bustling Village!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:30:18 pm by Seprix »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 11:35:04 am »

I don't get Village Square; when you gain it, it's already after the start of your turn so it's just going to be returned to the Supply without ever staying on your mat until the start of your next turn. Also, since Reserve cards normally don't do anything just while they're sitting on your Tavern mat, it needs to specify it does things at the start and end of your turn "while this is on your Tavern mat". Look at Distant lands for reference.
Check out my fan cards!

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 11:46:05 am »

How about this?

Village Square
Reserve - $3

When you gain this, put it on your Tavern mat.
At the start of your turn, you may call this. If you do, +1 Action and at any time this turn, you may exchange +1 Action for $2.
When you discard this from play, return it to the supply.

"+1 Action" in a sentence is not normally bolded, unlike when it appears on a line by itself.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2016, 11:46:37 am »

I don't get Village Square; when you gain it, it's already after the start of your turn so it's just going to be returned to the Supply without ever staying on your mat until the start of your next turn. Also, since Reserve cards normally don't do anything just while they're sitting on your Tavern mat, it needs to specify it does things at the start and end of your turn "while this is on your Tavern mat". Look at Distant lands for reference.

I will rewrite the card, I did not notice that issue.

Village Square
Reserve - $3

When you gain this, set this aside. At the start of your next turn, put this on your Tavern mat.
If this is on your Tavern mat at the start of your turn, +1 Action, and at any time during your turn, you may exchange +1 Action for $2. Return this card to the Supply at the end of that turn.

I put "that" turn, so it only applies to the turn you get the benefit. I wanted it to be so that you wouldn't get the Village effect unless you bought it, but that's a bit complex. You don't get any bonus for gaining it with Ironworks anyways, as it is pure Reserve, and University cannot gain it. So it is likely fine.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2016, 11:48:25 am »

Hmm, Singletee's wording is better, but it makes the card much stronger than before as a result. You can simply call all of them, and have a ton of +Actions and then just cash them in and buy Province later on. I don't know if that is desirable or not, I'd have to... test it.

*gasp*

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2016, 01:53:21 pm »

Hmm, Singletee's wording is better, but it makes the card much stronger than before as a result. You can simply call all of them, and have a ton of +Actions and then just cash them in and buy Province later on. I don't know if that is desirable or not, I'd have to... test it.

*gasp*

That would mean you spend $12 and 4 buys total to gain a Province after 2-4 turns. Without other villages, this is a terrible tactic, I think. I'd even go as far as saying your version that goes off immediately is way too weak. Singletee's approach makes the card viable on its own.
Check out my fan cards!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 09:42:51 pm »

I guess I could start with Singletee's version then.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2016, 02:06:56 am »

Doesn't seem overpowered to me either. Of course you probably gotta buy some of them when Page is in the Kingdom as you can pull off a megaturn once you got Champion but this single powerful combo doesn't make the card crazy.
One option to nerf it though would be to slow it down via making it a "normal" Reserve that is put on the Tavern mat when it is played and not when it is gained.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2016, 02:51:46 pm »

I'm starting to create a new Dominion Fan expansion. Some of the themes include:

• Choices, "up to" options
  • More Trash for benefit (none listed here yet)
  • A replacement for the Curse pile

I will list some of the cards below. Names, prices, abilities are all subject to change, including not even making the set. Play with them if you like.

Barracks $4
Action - Attack
+1 Card
+2 Actions

If you have already played a Barracks this turn, each other player discards down to 4 cards in their hand.

An attacking village. I think it's cute.

Seer $6
Action

Draw up to three cards. For each card you did not draw in this way, +1 Action.

When you gain this, gain a card costing up to $3.

It's too strong for $5, and not terribly great for $6, so I added the gain bit. I don't know how it's going to handle yet, but a more flexible Village/Draw card seems pretty nice.

Wetlands $4
Action - Victory
Worth 2VP

You may reveal a Wetlands from your hand. If you do, +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.

An interesting Peddler variant. It's possibly worth too many VP, but again, I'd rather have cards start off too strong than too weak. You also cannot play your last Wetlands, as it does nothing. So I think it's an interesting idea to try out.

Greenhouse $4
Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Discard a card from your hand. If it is a Curse or Victory card, each other player may discard and draw a card.

A sifter variant that gives you buys but slightly punishes you for sifting. Maybe it's a bit counter productive, so maybe it needs to be stronger. Who knows.

Ducat $4
Treasure
Worth $1

The next time you buy a card this turn, gain a card costing $1 more than it.

I've always wanted to make a Develop/Procession type with gaining on a treasure.

Gardener $3
Action
+$1

Trash up to two cards from your hand. For each time you did not trash, +$1.

Offers more flexibility than Steward for money and trashing, but does not draw cards. Overall a bit worse than Steward, but way better than Silver.

Executioner $5
Action - Attack
+$1
+2 Cards

Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards an Action card (or reveals a hand without any).

A somewhat cruel attack. I added the +$1 to make it a bit better, but it may be too strong already.

All simple, sleek cards with some interesting interactions. I don't want to make stupid interactions or pointless ones. I think a lot of these cards offer interesting interactions with existing cards or new things not tried that are still simple enough in execution. I want a Reaction card for sure, and I think I have quite enough attacks in this fan expansion. I want more cards too, but it's a good start.

This expansion will feature some Events, one which is ready for testing.

Construct $4
Event
Once per turn: Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.

Probably too strong, but I'd rather start out too strong than too weak.

Now for the interesting bit: The Curse replacement.
The Curse replacement is currently called Mummy, and there are 12 cards instead of the standard 10 for 2 Player Dominion. Mummies do not give -VP, but they are still Curse cards. All Cursers will hand out Mummies instead when they are played. All interactions with Curses also work for Mummies, since Curse is a type.

The reason I did this was because I've seen so many bad ideas for Curse cards, and I think this is the most sensible solution.

The Mummy cards all have Egyptianish names for now, which may or may not change. Maybe that will be the name of my Expansion: Egypt or Pyramid something of the kind. I don't know yet.
Mummy $1
Action - Curse
+1 Card
+1 Action

If you have played at least 3 Mummies this turn, end your Action Phase immediately.

It's an interesting option instead of Curse. Sure, your Curses no longer suck as much, but they're still junk. And you have decisions to make on whether to play Mummies or not. There are a few more of them because they're not quite as bad as Curses. If there's Villa on the board, you can circumvent this a bit, but not too much.

Now for the cards that interact with Mummies:

Pharoh $5
Action - Attack
+2 Cards

Each other player gains a Curse.

Set-up: Replace the Curse pile with the Mummy pile.

A bit redundant as a Curser, as it is a Witch variant. What separates this card from Witch if they are both in the Supply? Because of this, I am willing to consider either changes to the Mummies and their interactions with Cursing, or more likely just a change with Pharoh instead.

Archeologist $5
Action

You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$4. Gain a Curse.

A Baron/Death Card variant that fuels itself with Mummies. A bit on the weaker side, but giving it +1 Action might be too strong. This one will probably change or be destroyed. Who knows.

And that's it so far. I want at least one more card to interact with Mummies, but there could be two.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 03:08:15 pm »
+1

Barracks $4
Action - Attack
+1 Card
+2 Actions

If you have already played a Barracks this turn, each other player discards down to 4 cards in their hand.

An attacking village. I think it's cute.

I think I like leper village better (not sure who's expansion that is.)

Leper Village - $3
Action-Attack

+2 Actions
+1 Buy
+$1
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card.
--
In games using this, at the end of each of your turns except the firs, +1 Card.

That said, there is nothing wrong with barracks, of course. I just think the effect of always having to discard (because, well, it's a village: people are going to have lots of them) a card is a bit meh. Leper village is (imo) cooler because it adds a card (so you start with 6).

Seer $6
Action

Draw up to three cards. For each card you did not draw in this way, +1 Action.

When you gain this, gain a card costing up to $3.

It's too strong for $5, and not terribly great for $6, so I added the gain bit. I don't know how it's going to handle yet, but a more flexible Village/Draw card seems pretty nice.

I like it. Lab or village? You decide! The on gain is pretty ok too.

Wetlands $4
Action - Victory
Worth 2VP

You may reveal a Wetlands from your hand. If you do, +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.

An interesting Peddler variant. It's possibly worth too many VP, but again, I'd rather have cards start off too strong than too weak. You also cannot play your last Wetlands, as it does nothing. So I think it's an interesting idea to try out.

Generally speaking, I dislike cards where you have to basically empty the pile and it will always give more benefits (think minion.) That said, this is a fun way of doing that concept, in as much as I can like the concept. I think €4 is actually a reasonable price, because, well, if you draw it dead, it's dead.

Greenhouse $4
Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Discard a card from your hand. If it is a Curse or Victory card, each other player may discard and draw a card.

A sifter variant that gives you buys but slightly punishes you for sifting. Maybe it's a bit counter productive, so maybe it needs to be stronger. Who knows.

Interesting card. I am just wondering: when would I buy it? I can only imagine me buying it when there is no other source for +Buy, which is a pretty limited resource, no? On the other hand, discarding and drawing a card, I guess, is not that huge, or is it? Not sure; interesting and difficult to assess power level, imo.

Ducat $4
Treasure
Worth $1

The next time you buy a card this turn, gain a card costing $1 more than it.

I've always wanted to make a Develop/Procession type with gaining on a treasure.

I wonder if you could even reduce it's worth to $0. Because, well, it's a pretty powerful card, right. Gaining a $4 and a $5 (or a $5 and a $6 is pretty insane.)

Gardener $3
Action
+$1

Trash up to two cards from your hand. For each time you did not trash, +$1.

Offers more flexibility than Steward for money and trashing, but does not draw cards. Overall a bit worse than Steward, but way better than Silver.

This is a bit too good, I think. It's terminal gold for $3 (while terminal gold is sometimes competitive at $5.) At least it should be 3, I think.

Executioner $5
Action - Attack
+$1
+2 Cards

Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards an Action card (or reveals a hand without any).

A somewhat cruel attack. I added the +$1 to make it a bit better, but it may be too strong already.

Yeah, this is pretty strong. Not sure you want something that strong.
Construct $4
Event
Once per turn: Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.

Probably too strong, but I'd rather start out too strong than too weak.

Well, expand costs $7. Not sure why this is 'only' $4 then.

Mummy $1
Action - Curse
+1 Card
+1 Action

If you have played at least 3 Mummies this turn, end your Action Phase immediately.

It's an interesting option instead of Curse. Sure, your Curses no longer suck as much, but they're still junk. And you have decisions to make on whether to play Mummies or not. There are a few more of them because they're not quite as bad as Curses. If there's Villa on the board, you can circumvent this a bit, but not too much.

Fair idea. I had a similar idea at one point. It was a curse that gave -2 VP, but it wasn't dead in your hand because it was a cantrip. However, if you didn't play it, you could reveal it during clean up and return it to it's pile. So it had a lot of choices involved.

Now for the cards that interact with Mummies:

Pharoh $5
Action - Attack
+2 Cards

Each other player gains a Curse.

A bit redundant as a Curser, as it is a Witch variant. What separates this card from Witch if they are both in the Supply? Because of this, I am willing to consider either changes to the Mummies and their interactions with Cursing, or more likely just a change with Pharoh instead.

Archeologist $5
Action

You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$4. Gain a Curse.

A Baron/Death Card variant that fuels itself with Mummies. A bit on the weaker side, but giving it +1 Action might be too strong. This one will probably change or be destroyed. Who knows.

I like archeologist more; has more imagination behind it. I do think that's a pretty strong opener, though. Not sure.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2016, 03:10:42 pm »
+1

Barracks is not exciting and not that strong with its Urchin attack but OK.
Seer is one of the better flexible engine cards. Most of the times it will just be a Lab though.
Wetlands is the most interesting.
Greenhouse seems a bit boring.
Ducat seems pretty strong if it means "up to 1 more". In the case of precisely 1 more it is probably OK although it still allows you to get 5s when you buy 4s.
Gardener is too much like Steward.
Executioner features an interesting attack. Hard to tell how good it is.
Construct seems to be too strong.
I don't get Pharaoh. It hands out Mummies which are weaker than Curses so the card is strictly worse than Witch.
Archeologist seems mildly overpowered. Sure, the trash-and-gain part is overall bad but I don't think that it warrants an increase from +3$ to +4$ (a pure +3$ terminal Action is probably a 5$.)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2016, 12:04:23 am »
+1

Idea Thing $5
Action
+1 Action
+1 Card

Play an Action card from your hand.

Some Village/Throne Room Variant I thought of recently. All terminals are no longer terminals. It's an interesting enough idea to put down, just in case.

I've thought about reverse Enchantress, where the next card you play gives +$1, but then why not have that action card give +$1 anyways, so there's that. Hmmm.

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2016, 12:25:38 am »
+4

Idea Thing $5
Action
+1 Action
+1 Card

Play an Action card from your hand.

Some Village/Throne Room Variant I thought of recently. All terminals are no longer terminals. It's an interesting enough idea to put down, just in case.

I've thought about reverse Enchantress, where the next card you play gives +$1, but then why not have that action card give +$1 anyways, so there's that. Hmmm.

As written this should cost less than $3; it's a more restrictive Village.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2016, 04:43:56 am »

It probably should say: 'You may play action card from your hand twice.'?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2016, 12:35:19 pm »

Some Card Idea $3

+1 Card
+1 Action

If there are 5 or more cards in play, +$1. If there are 10 or more cards in play, +1 Buy. If there are 15 or more cards in play, +$1.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2016, 12:38:00 pm »

Would work great as an action-treasure

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2016, 12:46:52 pm »

Would work great as an action-treasure

Maybe.

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2016, 01:55:26 pm »

Is this intended to count all cards in play, or just cards you have in play?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2016, 01:44:16 pm »

Is this intended to count all cards in play, or just cards you have in play?

Cards the player has in play. It's not legally worded, just something I put down in the spur of the moment.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2016, 02:05:35 pm »

Some Card Idea $3

+1 Card
+1 Action

If there are 5 or more cards in play, +$1. If there are 10 or more cards in play, +1 Buy. If there are 15 or more cards in play, +$1.
I like it but I think that the values are a bit too high. 5 seems OK but I'd also test 4. 10 is most likely too high. Not that engines with 10 Action cards in play do not exist but we do after all just talk about an extra buy, or the point at which this cards switches from a Peddler to a Market. Perhaps 8?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2018, 05:40:56 pm »

So I've been thinking about some ideas in my head for some time, and I think I am ready to release these ideas. I haven't tested any of these, and it will be fun to do that at some point. Anyways, I have no idea what to do for the theme, but maybe it'll be Greek or something. Anyways, on to the cards.

Firstly, the most drastic idea, which has been explored in a lot of ways but not like this to my knowledge. It's the idea of replacing the starting base cards with something else, which comes with a bunch of logistical problems, but I think I have found an interesting way to make this work.

So each of the Base Starting cards has two potential replacements. This means Curse, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, and Province. I've decided that these things would have to be public, so readily available to each player. Of course, replacing all of the cards multiple times over is a giant hassle, so I've decided on the idea of single randomizers instead. This way, it's small and you don't have to use a different pile for different base cards, you just ghost it instead, pretending the Copper is that public card. The only potential issue is that people might forget.

So the way this works is that zero to three of the base cards change ideally per game, that would be my initial recommendation. There will be a placement card that is public that will 'replace' the base card, so you would buy for example Copper, but the Copper would be treated like the replacement card. In my mind, this replacement card would still be considered Copper, so there wouldn't be any annoying issues with say, Moneylender if you wanted to use it. I'll probably have the header text read as "Copper [Ossified]" so it's both distinct but also considered a Copper at the end of the day.

Anyways, on to the card ideas. These are raw ideas, but they will be fun to test!

Coppers

Copper [Ossify] Action-Treasure $1
+$1
+1 Action
-----------------
$1

Basically, Coppers become Action cards. You can Throne them now for Actions, or to help with Library in multiple ways, or make Necromancer more interesting, for example. You can even play them as Treasure cards instead, there's that flexibility. that Copper turns into an Action card kind of reminds me of turning into Stone, hence the name, and there's a potential Medusa/Gorgon theme there.

Copper [Unnamed] Action-Treasure $0
+$2
-----------------
$1

Terminal Silver. This one might change, it's not too hot.

Silvers

Silver [Unnamed] Action-Treasure $3
+1 Action
You may discard a card, to draw +1 Card.
-----------------
$2

it's a weak sifter but it provides additional options over simply being a Silver. Maybe you really want to cycle and draw something potentially nice.

Silver [Unnamed] Treasure $3
$2
--------------------
When you trash this, +$1.

Nice for remodeling and trashing.

Golds

Gold [Cursed] Curse-Treasure $5
$3
--------------------
-2 VP

So yeah, it's cheaper but it's also Cursed. It runs into problems with Cursers though so I think this one won't make it. Kind of a filler idea.

Gold [Unnamed] Action-Treasure $6
You may trash this, to gain a card costing up to $5.
--------------------
$3

Duchy gainer in games, Gold gainers become even more enginey, and there's this cute flexibility going on here.

Estates

Estate [Sunken] Victory-Reaction $2
1 VP
-------------
When you discard this other than during Clean-Up, +$1.

Cute with sifters and Baron. Maybe exploitable though. I also don't have a second Estate idea at the moment.

Duchies

Duchy [Royal] Action-Victory $6
You may play an Action card from your hand twice.
-------------
2 VP

Throne Room Duchy. Engines go bananas. I thought about a +buy Duchy but I think this is potentially more intriguing. I'm afraid to put it at $5 but it might be fine.
Duchy [unnamed] Victory $6
3 VP
-------------
If this pile is empty at the end of your turn, the game immediately ends.

It's another end game condition! Might enable some cool rushes or alternate strategies, and it costs $6 so it's harder to do.

Provinces

Province [Unnnamed] Victory $7
5 VP

Just more potential timing to think about, plus remodeling changes, etc. I thought about doing a gambit Province where you can play it to trash it, then draw 5 extra cards on your next turn but that sounds really stupid. It also sounds really fun though. No idea what to do for the second slot.

Curses

Curse [Doomed] Action-Curse $0
Trash this, to gain 2 Coppers.
-------------
-2 VP

More junk but at least it's not -2 VP!

Curse [unnmaed] Action-Curse $0
+1 Card
+1 Action

If there are two Curses in play (including this), go directly into the Buy Phase.
-------------
-1 VP

You can sift with these Curses, but only a little bit! Maybe it can be upped to 3 Curses in play, it just needs actual testing. It's an old idea of mine and I've always liked it.

I have some other cards coming with another sub-theme but I think this is a good start for people to look over.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2018, 01:07:05 am »
+1

Golds

Gold [Cursed] Curse-Treasure $5
$3
--------------------
-2 VP

So yeah, it's cheaper but it's also Cursed. It runs into problems with Cursers though so I think this one won't make it. Kind of a filler idea.
Easily fixable by calling it a victory-treasure instead of using the curse type. Since I first started playing Dominion, I never understood why Curses needed their own type. I always thought they should be considered victory cards which happened to give negative VP.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2018, 01:33:46 am »

In general this is a great idea and there are some cool cards. I don't like the stuff that is strictly better than existing cards, like the Silver sifter or the Estate (which is bonkers with Shepherd) and also wouldn't venture into Copper substitute territory because Heirlooms already did that.

3 VP
-------------

I think DXV mentioned somewhere that during the early stages of design an empty Duchy pile was a game end trigger and that it led to all games being Duchy rushes. This is a bit more expensive but I'd still be careful.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2018, 07:11:16 am »
+1

In general this is a great idea and there are some cool cards. I don't like the stuff that is strictly better than existing cards, like the Silver sifter or the Estate (which is bonkers with Shepherd) and also wouldn't venture into Copper substitute territory because Heirlooms already did that.

3 VP
-------------

I think DXV mentioned somewhere that during the early stages of design an empty Duchy pile was a game end trigger and that it led to all games being Duchy rushes. This is a bit more expensive but I'd still be careful.

The Nocturne Copper subs are actually interesting because they replace the actual Coppers, while the normal Coppers only have the plus effect.

I think stuff that's "strictly better" than other things are fine since it's only slightly and it's public. It's like a new game rule, just for that game. The Estate thing, yeah that might be busted but I'm okay with the slight Silver sifting.

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +229
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2018, 09:08:43 am »

"Potter - Action;

+
+ Buy
You may put your deck into the discard pile. You may discard a Potion from your hand. If you do, gain card costing up to $."

You know, another interesting place you could go with this would be, after discarding your deck, instead of discarding a potion "You may trash a potion from your discard pile to gain a card costing up to $4."

That would have some interesting implications, I think.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2018, 11:49:36 am »

3 VP
-------------

The Nocturne Copper subs are actually interesting because they replace the actual Coppers, while the normal Coppers only have the plus effect.

I think stuff that's "strictly better" than other things are fine since it's only slightly and it's public. It's like a new game rule, just for that game. The Estate thing, yeah that might be busted but I'm okay with the slight Silver sifting.
Now that I thought more about it I agree and think that especially the Action-Silvers could be quite interesting and change gameplay. As a wacky example, with Action-Silver Bureaucrat could become the card that kickstarts a Conspirator engine.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2018, 04:09:01 pm »
+2

And now are some of the cards that line up with the set.

Bust Treasure - $4
$1
------------------
You may trash a card in play. If you trashed a Bust or Silver, +$1.
------------------
(this card requires the trashing for +$1 Silver)

I like this and I can't wait to test it!

Dark Mage Action -$5
+3 Cards
You may discard a Curse in hand or gain a Curse for +1 Action.

This one is so wonky, it's probably really good or really bad, and I think it's more bad than good? Worth trying for sure. It's like a reverse Stables.

Whimsy Action-Reaction-$2
+1 Card
+1 Action
-----------------
When you put a unique card type into play, you may reveal this card to play instantly.

And there's the sub theme, messing with card types. I have one that's basically HoP but for Card types which will be worse so there will be experimenting with an alternate bonus, probably +$2 or something.

Maybe Busted Alt-VP Victory-$7
2VP per two unique card types in your deck.

The default is 4 uniques, being Victory, Treasure, Curse and Action (realistically, but there could be a board with no Actions) There's Durations, Attacks, Reactions, Night as other common types. That brings this card up to 8 VP, which is just insane. Also absolutely game winning if in a Black Market deck. Yeah, it's just so OP potentially that I don't think it should even be a card?

Guardian Action-Attack $5
+$1
+1 Buy
+$1 per each unique card type in play (including this).
Each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand.

It's a terminal Gold variant, much like Wine Merchant and Sacred Grove. I think it's cute!

Those are the serious ideas so far.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:10:19 pm by Seprix »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2018, 09:18:49 pm »

I also created some new cards for alchemy and potter is one of them.
It’s basically a stronger remodel but a duration card similar to haven, cause it also gives the
+1 card +1 action

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2018, 05:54:13 am »

Whimsy Action-Reaction-$2
+1 Card
+1 Action
-----------------
When you put a unique card type into play, you may reveal this card to play instantly.
I don't understand this wording.  Do you mean, when you play a card who has a type that is not in play yet?

That's a great idea but I suggest 1VP per different type in your deck. As it stands it is cheaper than Province and providing more VPs. Even in Action dense decks it is not "costly" to keep or add a Treasure so the card always provides 6VPs with the option of adding / not trashing a Curse for some extra VPs.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2018, 06:31:55 pm »

Easily fixable by calling it a victory-treasure instead of using the curse type. Since I first started playing Dominion, I never understood why Curses needed their own type. I always thought they should be considered victory cards which happened to give negative VP.

I think the reason was that victory cards give bonuses to e.g. Ironmonger, and Donald wanted Curse to be something that's always bad. Curse can still be good with things that care about diversity, but the bonus-from-victory-types interaction is something that particularly goes against the spirit of the card.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:33:44 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1004
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2018, 01:09:54 pm »
+1

That's a great idea but I suggest 1VP per different type in your deck. As it stands it is cheaper than Province and providing more VPs. Even in Action dense decks it is not "costly" to keep or add a Treasure so the card always provides 6VPs with the option of adding / not trashing a Curse for some extra VPs.
Isn't 2VP per 2 types weaker than 1VP per type?

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2018, 05:23:36 pm »

I misread the card as 2VPs per type. As it stands it is of course fine and will only be better than Provinces if there at least 3 extra types which probably happens in around half or less than half of all games.
I don't like Faigrounds-like "2VP per whatever" as it is not granular enough for my taste; hence my suggestion to make it 1VP per type with variable costs.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2018, 04:25:47 pm »

Gain Meister Action-Reaction $5

+1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Buy
----------------------------
When you would gain a card, you may play this to instead give that card to the player to the left.

It can send over Curses, Coppers, and it can be a Village too. It's a cute versatile card.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2018, 06:30:51 am »
+1

Gain Meister Action-Reaction $5

+1 Action
+1 Card
+1 Buy
----------------------------
When you would gain a card, you may play this to instead give that card to the player to the left.

It can send over Curses, Coppers, and it can be a Village too. It's a cute versatile card.

And it's a directed attack, too.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2018, 02:03:15 pm »

New concept: Trading

Whenever a card tells you, you may trade one thing for another.

Eerie Market Treasure - $5
+1 Buy
$0
----------------
When you play this, you may trade any number of times:
+1 Buy for $2
$2 for +1 Buy

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2018, 03:08:04 pm »

Whenever a card tells you, you may trade one thing for another.

Eerie Market Treasure - $5
+1 Buy
$0
----------------
When you play this, you may trade any number of times:
+1 Buy for $2
$2 for +1 Buy

The trading idea is a cool but I don't think that a Travelling Fair that also works in reverse as card is good enough at a price of $4 as it compares unfavourably to Charm and Counterfeit. I'd do it at $4.
Apart from the general flexibility I guess it mainly shines with the obvious cards: Buys into Coins for Market and Woodcutter variants; Coins into Buys for Peddler and stuff like Highway.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2018, 01:27:51 pm »

+ switchers ended up in the Outtakes, a concept similar to Trading as showcased in Eerie Market, though Trading could encompass more than that. See the first Jester under Cornucopia in the Outtakes, and the Jester under Orphans.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2018, 06:17:02 am »

Diadem is arguably the only one-way realization of this idea.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2019, 02:03:32 pm »

Dominion:Proposed Changes

For now I am going to ignore themes and just do whatever, I might revamp further and try to keep cards in theme.

Base Set

Harbinger -$3
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or put a card from the discard pile into your hand.

Stronger than Mountain Village in that you get to choose whether to draw or not, but much weaker than Mountain Village by virtue of not being a village, plus no tricks involving stacking without help involving actions in play or Teacher/Event Tokens.

Bureaucrat -$4

Gain a Silver to your hand.

This might be too strong for $4 but somehow I doubt it. Doesn't need to be an attack either.

yeah that's really it for Base. It's a near perfect set.

Intrigue

There could be some buffing for Harem, but come on, Harem is actually a fine enough card that people shit on too much and I dunno, it's nearly a perfect set now. The second edition made this from one of the worst sets to one of the best, easily.

Seaside

Oh boy. Yeah, this set really needed a second edition. Hilariously enough, I'm not touching any of the $2s like Pearl Diver. They're fine too.

Navigator -$4

+$2

You may look at up to the top 5 cards of your deck. You may discard one or all, and put the rest back in any order.

Simple changes, make the scouting optional and give better deck control with both shuffles and discard choices.

Pirate Ship -$4

Errata: this is perfect

Treasure Map-$4

Don't topdeck the Golds

Explorer -$5

Gain a Gold, and you may reveal a Province to put it into your hand.

I feel like this is overall a buff despite losing the Silvers to hand, Gold gainers are fine.

Merchant Ship -$5

Slap on a buy, obvious stuff

Wharf -$5

Remove the buy, obvious stuff, or at least remove the buy on the second turn

Alchemy

Shouldn't exist, find more things to do with Potion and try again. Bigger project, apparently my Potter card was cool but I'll have to take another look at this later. Potion also probably should be like Charm in that you either get a Silver effect or a Potion. Or you could do something else radical, like give it a buy. Could be interesting.

Prosperity

Trade Route

Probably just kill it, replace it with something else. Way too complex and horribly designed.

Contraband

+$4 instead of +$3

Counting House -$5

Choose one: Either do what Counting House does, or set it aside, putting it to your hand at the start of your next turn.

Might be too strong, but eh seems like a fine idea to start with.

Mountebank -$5

If you don't discard a curse, you get a curse. If you do, you get a copper.

Royal Seal -$4

Once per turn: When you gain a card, you may topdeck it.

Cornucopia

Tournament should have prizes for everybody, and replace Diadem with something else. Replace Harvest.

Hinterlands

Kill Duchess, make Fool's Gold simple by getting rid of the reaction, get rid of Noble Brigand, Nomad Camp topdeck is optional, get rid of Mandarin. Mostly getting rid of bad cards here, with no obvious ideas to replace them. Thief variants are generally awful, and while Cache is awful it's not awful enough to warrant a real change. Could make it cost $4. I dunno. Probably is amazing in money then.

Dark Ages

Urchin/Merc is way too dominating and the game to get Merc is way too swingy. Why not just have Urchin blow up into a Merc during the clean up phase? Sure it's just as dominant but at least then it's not as bad. Probably also don't let Merc generate coin.

Get rid of Rebuild. Who cares if it is weak, monolithic strategies are bad for the meta. Make Bandit Camp Spoils optional.

Cultist -$5

+3 Cards

Each other player gains a Ruins.

There was some talk about chain or send a ruin, but realistically this just makes Cultist so obviously better than Witch that it's not even funny. Don't have chaining at all, give it an extra draw to compensate for the lack of cursing.

Adventures

I hate the Peasant traveller line so much. Probably to make it more fine you get rid of Disciple but fundamentally the entire line, it's broken as a concept. Change Warrior so it doesn't kill other Warriors, changes everybody wants, fine. Otherwise a nearly perfect set.

Empires

Donate is the closest thing to a sin.

Nocturne

Get rid of Fool. Cobbler is meh but whatever, this set is mostly fine.

Renaissance

Artifacts were a mistake. Treasurer doesn't need Key and is already massively strong without it. Border Guard doesn't need a tacked on Artifact. Flag Bearer was a mistake in general. Swashbuckler doesn't need a Gold generator, the coin tokens are fine enough.

Cargo Ship is bad for the game. You either have it in hand Turn 3 and win, or you don't, and lose. It's a worse version of Transmogrify. I have no immediate hot fixes either. Have to think about it more.

Sinister Plot is pretty nuts and probably shouldn't exist either, although it's not immediately obvious to me. A lot of the Projects should be toned down, because currently nearly all of them are must buys, and are easy to access.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2019, 06:08:24 pm »

Harbinger -$3
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or put a card from the discard pile into your hand.

This seems only slightly better than it is now, and certainly not any more interesting. Probably less interesting, since this is closer to another existing card and the current Harbinger has synergy with Vassal.

Bureaucrat -$4

Gain a Silver to your hand.

This might be too strong for $4 but somehow I doubt it. Doesn't need to be an attack either.

How about something that floods your opponents with Silvers instead?

Bureaucrat -$4
+$3
+1 Buy
Each other player gains a Silver.

This would teach newer players that gaining a zillion Treasures isn't always a good idea. I'm honestly not sure if it should be an Attack.

Seaside

Oh boy. Yeah, this set really needed a second edition. Hilariously enough, I'm not touching any of the $2s like Pearl Diver. They're fine too.

I'd maybe have Pearl Diver look at the bottom 3 and top deck any number of them.

Pirate Ship -$4

I'd merge it with Cutpurse:

Pirate Ship -$4
Choose one: +$1 for each Pirate Token on your mat, or each other player discards a Treasure or reveals they can't, and take a Pirate Token for each Treasure discarded.

Treasure Map-$4

Don't topdeck the Golds

Or only top deck 2 of them.

Merchant Ship -$5

Slap on a buy, obvious stuff

Honestly, I might just cut this one entirely. +$ isn't nearly as useful in general as +Card or +Action at the start of your turn.

Royal Seal -$4

Is this supposed to be a Project or something? Introducing later mechanics into an earlier set is a really bad idea.

Cornucopia

Tournament should have prizes for everybody, and replace Diadem with something else. Replace Harvest.

You mean one Trusty Steed per player and so on? I think that would make it less fun, though I know opinions are strongly divided on this.

I'd definitely want Followers replaced, though. There shouldn't be a monopoly on such an irritating attack.

Hinterlands

Kill Duchess, make Fool's Gold simple by getting rid of the reaction, get rid of Noble Brigand, Nomad Camp topdeck is optional, get rid of Mandarin. Mostly getting rid of bad cards here, with no obvious ideas to replace them. Thief variants are generally awful, and while Cache is awful it's not awful enough to warrant a real change. Could make it cost $4. I dunno. Probably is amazing in money then.

Nomad Camp, Duchess and Mandarin have interesting on-gains that should be on better cards. Cache should be chucked as we now have Banquet.

Dark Ages

Urchin/Merc is way too dominating and the game to get Merc is way too swingy. Why not just have Urchin blow up into a Merc during the clean up phase? Sure it's just as dominant but at least then it's not as bad. Probably also don't let Merc generate coin.

Urchin/Merc is an abomination that should be nuked from orbit. Make a different Hermit/Madman thing that doesn't destroy a bit of your soul every time you play with it.

Adventures

I hate the Peasant traveller line so much. Probably to make it more fine you get rid of Disciple but fundamentally the entire line, it's broken as a concept.

Most people here disagree, but we've already had that conversation. Personally, I'd get rid of Page.

Empires

Donate is the closest thing to a sin.

Annex? Tax? Delve? Wedding? Conquest? Lots of weak and boring Events.

Nocturne

Get rid of Fool. Cobbler is meh but whatever, this set is mostly fine.

Dump Bard as well.

Cargo Ship is bad for the game. You either have it in hand Turn 3 and win, or you don't, and lose.

It's that broken? Thread on this, please.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:12:14 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2019, 09:15:50 pm »

- Stuff you said that I wholeheartedly agree with: Merchant Ship, Wharf, Alchemy, Counting House, Artifacts
- I think your ideas on these are okay but meh: Harbinger, Bureaucrat, Navigator, Royal Seal, Nomad Camp, Bandit Camp, Urchin
- I prefer Chuckles' ideas about: Pirate Ship, Treasure Map
- Cards mentioned here that I like the official version just fine: Nomad Camp, Fool's Gold, Peasant, Cobbler, Bard, Cargo Ship
- Cards I already play with a modded version of: Rebuild, Mandarin, Cache, Merchant Ship (My modded Merchant ship just adds +buy -same for Cache), Secret Passage (added a reaction that plays itself when another player plays an attack because I miss Secret Chamber's reaction). There are also several cards (including Page and Tournament) which I never play with IRL.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:18:20 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +661
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2019, 11:06:18 am »

Is this supposed to be a Project or something? Introducing later mechanics into an earlier set is a really bad idea.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a project.  Just a cheaper Royal seal, where you can only use the topdecking once

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2019, 11:17:43 am »
+2

How strange. Annex is pretty weak yes, and Wedding isn't terribly exciting. But Tax, Delve, Conquest are all quite interesting. None of them is super strong, but none is particularly weak either.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2019, 06:05:04 pm »

How strange. Annex is pretty weak yes, and Wedding isn't terribly exciting. But Tax, Delve, Conquest are all quite interesting. None of them is super strong, but none is particularly weak either.

I happen to find them all dull. Tax is a weaker, less interesting Embargo, Delve is yet another way to get Silvers, hooray, and Conquest is a much more limited Triumph.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 20 queries.