Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card: Artist Guild  (Read 4946 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Fan Card: Artist Guild
« on: August 14, 2015, 12:13:57 pm »

Artist Guild

- Victory

Worth 1 per Patron card in your deck.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Setup: Add an extra non-Victory Kingdom card pile costing or more to the Supply.  Cards from this pile are Patron cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card: Artist Guild
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:17:53 pm »

This looks too broken. If the card is Worker's Village, Mining Village, or something that it is useful to have a lot of, you could get 4 patrons and 5 Mining Villages, and you'd have 20 VP!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 03:53:39 pm »

This looks too broken. If the card is Worker's Village, Mining Village, or something that it is useful to have a lot of, you could get 4 patrons and 5 Mining Villages, and you'd have 20 VP!

Well, 20 VP for 4 junk cards in your deck is strong, but not unreasonable for an alt-VP card (it's still less than you'd get from Provinces). I think the issue is that losing important splits 4-6 can be difficult to overcome just because you need those cards in your deck; this card makes it significantly more difficult.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 08:57:23 pm »

The best possible Patron card is probably Ironworks, for the usual reason that Ironworks-altVP rushes are good.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 09:48:16 pm »

Reminds me of a card I made long ago:

Fields $5
Victory
Worth 1 VP for each crop card in your deck.
-------------------
Setup: Add an extra kingdom card costing $4 or $5 to the supply. Cards from this pile are harvest cards.

How does this compare to Artist's Guild?
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 09:02:31 am »

Fields $5
Victory
-------------------
Setup: Add an extra kingdom card costing $4 or $5 to the supply. Cards from this pile are harvest cards.

Personally, I think it's slightly better, as it is more expensive and the crop card can be more expensive.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 01:20:46 pm »
+1

Fields $5
Victory
-------------------

Fields is always worth 0 VP as worded. ;)

GeeJo

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 02:05:19 pm »
+1

For a lark.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 02:10:55 pm »

Artist's Guild is way too strong for it's cost right now. It can easily be worth more than a Duchy at it's price, which is simply building your engine. It needs to cost $ I think.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 11:39:18 pm »

Artist's Guild is way too strong for it's cost right now. It can easily be worth more than a Duchy at it's price, which is simply building your engine. It needs to cost $ I think.

I was wondering about the cost.  But with Duke, you also have the 3 of Duchy along with it.  You don't have that with this card.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 12:04:51 am »
+1

I was wondering about the cost.  But with Duke, you also have the 3 of Duchy along with it.  You don't have that with this card.
Say it's any Village, or a Smithy, or a Throne Room, whatever, you want the card anyway. Then, when you're looking for greening you see that you could get a 3 for , but instead you could get a ~5 card for
Gender happened.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 01:00:20 am »

I think you need a specific rule here about how you choose the Patron card to add to the kingdom (including whether it costs $4 or $5) because what the Patron card is makes a huge difference in how strong this card is and people choose their kingdoms differently.
At the same time, it could be interesting to have an incentive to make a deck that plays four or five Moneylenders or something like that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 05:21:05 am »

Say it's any Village, or a Smithy, or a Throne Room, whatever, you want the card anyway. Then, when you're looking for greening you see that you could get a 3 for , but instead you could get a ~5 card for

That happens with Gardens, Silk Roads and Feodum already. It's not a problem. The problem is that when you're looking for greening, you see that you could get a 3VP for $5, but instead you could get a 4VP for $4 while your opponent can get 6VP for $4, simply because he bought more copies of the card that you both wanted to get anyway.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 10:32:23 am »

That happens with Gardens, Silk Roads and Feodum already. It's not a problem. The problem is that when you're looking for greening, you see that you could get a 3VP for $5, but instead you could get a 4VP for $4 while your opponent can get 6VP for $4, simply because he bought more copies of the card that you both wanted to get anyway.

I'm glad that we're in agreement?
Gender happened.

GeeJo

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 11:39:12 am »

Since a lot of the concern here is over how the card can be overpowered if a strong Patron card is selected, why not just make this a paired set of new Kingdom cards (Artist's Guild/Patron) that are always added to the Supply together? Then tailor the effect of the Patron card so that you might want a few but not loads. That way, accumulating them is an actual cost. Something like a Cellar effect with a boost for discarding Victory cards would be synergistic but not overpowering, perhaps. A set pair of cards with both in the Supply is a novel feature in itself, so they don't actually need to do anything else particularly innovative.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:40:46 am by GeeJo »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.943 seconds with 21 queries.