Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 51  All

Author Topic: M64: Pony-Mafia Mafia (Game Over, Town wins!)  (Read 128016 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
Re: M64: Pony-Mafia Mafia (Day 1 start!)
« Reply #275 on: June 19, 2015, 12:41:56 pm »

It's much weirder that Wither agreed with you and strengthened it to "something only scum do" especially without actually voting for me.

Vote: Witherweaver

I'm not really sure what you're saying now.

I don't remember seeing town do it.  I remember seeing ADK do it, as scum, twice.  These two things are facts, and I don't see why it's an issue.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 19, 2015, 12:42:31 pm »

WW:  Why have you a couple of times now tried to reduce my reason for voting for you to being about you not voting for me?  Did you find my initial post unclear on that point?  (Non-rhetorical question, I'm serious.)

I had thought that was the point.  If I had voted for you instead of saying "Hey, good point here", would you have voted for me?

I mean, it was an additional part of the point, but not the main one.  But I'm realizing that might not have been clear enough.  Yes, I would have also voted for you if you voted for me.  So if you had missed that, then would you agree that Teproc's explanation helped establish the case on you more clearly?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 19, 2015, 12:43:24 pm »

WW:  Why have you a couple of times now tried to reduce my reason for voting for you to being about you not voting for me?  Did you find my initial post unclear on that point?  (Non-rhetorical question, I'm serious.)

I had thought that was the point.  If I had voted for you instead of saying "Hey, good point here", would you have voted for me?

I mean, it was an additional part of the point, but not the main one.  But I'm realizing that might not have been clear enough.  Yes, I would have also voted for you if you voted for me.  So if you had missed that, then would you agree that Teproc's explanation helped establish the case on you more clearly?

No, because his explanation was in regards to results that happened after that point.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 19, 2015, 12:44:08 pm »

Vote Count 1.4

Seprix (1): Awaclus
Witherweaver (6): Hydrad, UmbrageOfSnow, Teproc, A Drowned Kernel, Joseph2302, chairs {L-1}
mail-mi (2): pacovf, Seprix
chairs (1): skip wooznum
Teproc (1): Witherweaver

Not Voting (1): mail-mi

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch. Day 1 ends on June 28, 3 PM forum time.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 19, 2015, 12:47:08 pm »

I don't want to lynch ww this early and I dont like how chairs joined this wagon

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 19, 2015, 12:48:06 pm »

No, because his explanation was in regards to results that happened after that point.
Some of it was, but this sentence in particular:
He's encouraging suspicion based on dubious reasons without actually taking part
Is what I was trying to say.  I found that helpful, and his additional point about your reply went beyond sheeping, but even if he'd sheeped me, his reexplaining my point more clearly was apparently helpful.

Why didn't you read my post where I voted for you closely?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 19, 2015, 12:55:42 pm »

Mail-mi is online.  Have any post-RVS opinions Mail-mi?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 19, 2015, 12:56:25 pm »

Some of it was, but this sentence in particular:
He's encouraging suspicion based on dubious reasons without actually taking part
Is what I was trying to say.  I found that helpful, and his additional point about your reply went beyond sheeping, but even if he'd sheeped me, his reexplaining my point more clearly was apparently helpful.

Why didn't you read my post where I voted for you closely?

Okay, I see, but I don't consider the reasoning to really be dubious; the suspicion was good.  I don't feel bad about encouraging it, either. 

So if the argument is that I'm scum fanning flames, that makes some sense, as I get to watch town hurt themselves and don't have to get directly involved myself, which is kind of nice because then I would be less accountable.  But, I'm not sure fanning flames is as productive to lead to lynches as that might suggest.  A better argument would be that it's an easy thing to say to make it look like I'm involved in the game.

To the latter question, work and two other games.  Sometimes I check things on my phone, too (I don't recall if I did in this case), and that tends to lead to more scanning.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2015, 12:57:42 pm »

I asked this already, but it seems to have been lost in the shuffle : can someone explain the case of mail-mi, if there is one ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2015, 01:00:09 pm »

Seprix, what's your reasoning about Mail-mi?

He's only posted in this game a total of 3 times. It's almost like he's lurking. Also, his first post was about being scum partners, which I would let slide, as it's not evidence on it's own. But then his next two posts are just voting for Hydrad, an then unvoting for Hydrad, and nothing else. He hasn't contributed at all, he's totally lurking too because he posted a lot in the other Mafia game he's in, but not posting here? Hrmmm...
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2015, 01:04:11 pm »

3 posts:
RVS-scumjoke for hydrad
unvote Hydrad
hedgy defense of skip

The unvote is suspicious, looks like "hey guys I am active!" and it's doing absolutely nothing.
The defense sets off alarms for its extreme hedging, "I am going to defend skip but I don't want to commit to anything".

mail-mi tends to not post much, so you have to read between the lines much more than for other players. ]
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 19, 2015, 01:04:50 pm »

WW:  I'd consider stirring up town-on-town antagonism much based on something you don't truly believe (which is my opinion about your scumtell here) to be much scummier than trying to appear active.  I won't claim to be any kind of expert on your meta but you didn't appear to be faking activity in the scum game of yours I skimmed.  Do you think you do that as scum?

I mean I realize that's a loaded question, so maybe it's better if other regular players answer that too, but I was not under the impression that fake activity was what I should be looking for from WW.

Also, if you don't know why scum should be more likely to do a thing than town (due to differing win conditions or psychology) why would you suspect that thing to be a scumtell?  If it's based purely on your own experience, why say this:
New_Player_001's point on Snow was a good one, not sure why people don't see it.
?

PPE: 2

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 19, 2015, 01:07:36 pm »

I did know it was L-1.

I appreciate all the reactions.

vote: Teproc.  Sorry to worry you, WW, I just wanted to see what Teproc would do to an unannounced L-1 :)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2015, 01:08:34 pm »

3 posts:
RVS-scumjoke for hydrad
unvote Hydrad
hedgy defense of skip

The unvote is suspicious, looks like "hey guys I am active!" and it's doing absolutely nothing.
The defense sets off alarms for its extreme hedging, "I am going to defend skip but I don't want to commit to anything".

mail-mi tends to not post much, so you have to read between the lines much more than for other players. ]

To be fair the case was from before this whole discussion exploded, so I should reexamine where my vote is. But I don't want mail-mi to get off with it so easily either.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 19, 2015, 01:08:59 pm »

I did know it was L-1.

I appreciate all the reactions.

vote: Teproc.  Sorry to worry you, WW, I just wanted to see what Teproc would do to an unannounced L-1 :)

Bah.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 19, 2015, 01:09:11 pm »

I have been lurking indeed; yesterday was busy. I should be on more today to answer any questions.

No that was not a hedge defense of skip, I just wanted to see what ADK's reasoning is.

I think Teproc and WW are of the same alignment. Whether that's town or scum, I don't know.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2015, 01:09:47 pm »

I have been lurking indeed; yesterday was busy. I should be on more today to answer any questions.

No that was not a hedge defense of skip, I just wanted to see what ADK's reasoning is.

I think Teproc and WW are of the same alignment. Whether that's town or scum, I don't know.

If Teproc is scum, Mail-Mi is highly likely to be scum as well.  It is known.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 19, 2015, 01:09:58 pm »

Yep, it's L-1. chairs, did you know it was L-1 ?

Obviously don't hammer, need more time to discuss etc.

Uh, Chairs? Why is this scummy?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 19, 2015, 01:12:36 pm »

So chairs, what reaction from Teproc would have led you to thinking he was town?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 19, 2015, 01:12:46 pm »

WW:  I'd consider stirring up town-on-town antagonism much based on something you don't truly believe (which is my opinion about your scumtell here) to be much scummier than trying to appear active.  I won't claim to be any kind of expert on your meta but you didn't appear to be faking activity in the scum game of yours I skimmed.  Do you think you do that as scum?

I mean I realize that's a loaded question, so maybe it's better if other regular players answer that too, but I was not under the impression that fake activity was what I should be looking for from WW.

Also, if you don't know why scum should be more likely to do a thing than town (due to differing win conditions or psychology) why would you suspect that thing to be a scumtell?  If it's based purely on your own experience, why say this:
New_Player_001's point on Snow was a good one, not sure why people don't see it.
?

PPE: 2

I'm not sure the relevance to my meta here.  In general, scum tries to appear active and that's a scum tell.  Individual metas change that, but I wouldn't expect you (having never played with me) to be making a metaheavy argument on me.

If every time X has happened (or even some majority of times), Y happens, what's wrong with being okay with Y when X, even if you don't know why?  (That was a cool sentence.)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 19, 2015, 01:18:20 pm »

I've never played with you, but I made a point to read a scum game of yours last night, and I'm trying to do that with everyone.

You're right that I've never played with you, which is a much better way to get a feel for these things, which is why I want other people to chime in on this.  But I don't expect trying to fake activity from players with your attitude/style/whatever anyway I think.  I could be crazy here, but it's just not the main thing I'm looking for.  And applying general purpose scum tells to players where that would not seem to fit their personality doesn't seem really great.  I find it strange that you want me to do that instead.

And what I'm getting at is that if it's your personal experience rather than something psychological/strategic (which I believe are the only scumtells that make sense, but that's not an argument we need to have right now) then why would you be surprised that other people didn't agree with you?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 19, 2015, 01:20:27 pm »

The larger point I'm driving at here is that WW's actions seem inconsistent with thinking about actual scumhunting and more consistent with stirring up shit.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 19, 2015, 01:21:51 pm »

I've never played with you, but I made a point to read a scum game of yours last night, and I'm trying to do that with everyone.

You're right that I've never played with you, which is a much better way to get a feel for these things, which is why I want other people to chime in on this.  But I don't expect trying to fake activity from players with your attitude/style/whatever anyway I think.  I could be crazy here, but it's just not the main thing I'm looking for.  And applying general purpose scum tells to players where that would not seem to fit their personality doesn't seem really great.  I find it strange that you want me to do that instead.

And what I'm getting at is that if it's your personal experience rather than something psychological/strategic (which I believe are the only scumtells that make sense, but that's not an argument we need to have right now) then why would you be surprised that other people didn't agree with you?

Ah, well, good point.  It's hard for me to see things from not me perspectives.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 19, 2015, 01:24:35 pm »

Yep, it's L-1. chairs, did you know it was L-1 ?

Obviously don't hammer, need more time to discuss etc.

Uh, Chairs? Why is this scummy?

Teproc appeared to be really, really pushing WW to me (maybe your impression will be different). I'm of the opinion that if you're pushing a wagon, you don't throw the brakes when the wagon gets to the edge of the cliff.

As far as WW's behavior - it's generated a lot of interaction on D1. That's something we reliably struggle with, imho, to the point that I almost ignore D1 in Normal (not RMM) games out of habit. Sure, he's been abrasive, but abrasive has led to a lot of opportunities for us to review each other on later Days after flips, which is the best part of forum Mafia, right?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 19, 2015, 01:25:56 pm »

But about faking activity, etc., I think it's kind of a universal scum tell, some people are just better at it.  It's hard to post as scum, you have to say things, you have to worry about how those things will be said, you second guess yourself a lot, etc. Posts have a tendency to come out contrived.  Do mine come out contrived?  Well, I have no idea.  Obviously to me they do, because I'm the one that contrived them.  I'm always surprised when people don't see things I do that I think are really scummy as blatantly scummy when I'm scum, and even more surprised when people suspect me when I feel so naturally in my town state of mind.  I can't really generate enough of a neutral perspective to really read how much of my town state of mind and scum state of mind come out in a given game. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 51  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 16 queries.