Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Adventures Physical Box Stuff  (Read 48338 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Adventures Physical Box Stuff
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2015, 09:45:45 am »
+2

I can't tell which cards are which from the picture, unless you tell me ahead of time.  I did some examining last night with Adventures cards vs. Base cards.  With enough inspection of the backs/feel, I could guess which were Adventures.  But, I'm not sure why this would actually matter.  Because you'll cheat while shuffling?  Don't cheat.  It could be an issue if there were a "choose a random card from your opponent's hand" kind of card.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2015, 11:12:27 am »
+1

That difference is, to me, a difference that technically exists but I would never, ever notice during gameplay. I couldn't even tell in the first and second pictures which cards were Adventures (the third one I got).

In fact, I'd think that the wear on the old cards is going to be a way more obvious giveaway, enough to make any shading difference moot (for those who play unsleeved).

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2015, 01:04:32 pm »
+3

A reddit thread on this: http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/34c9wh/gamers_beware_newest_printings_of_rio_grande/

The post claims Hasboro was responsible for the Event backs; Donald had said is was just a mistake from Jay himself, right?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2015, 01:07:29 pm »
+5

I'm really bothered by Pathfinding now. Why did someone need to point that out?

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3681
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2015, 01:38:04 pm »

The game smells

Great, I didn't know Gary Oak played Dominion.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10739
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2015, 01:49:14 pm »
+1

The game smells

Great, I didn't know Gary Oak played Dominion.

Well, he had to find something else to do after becoming the Pokémon champion and then immediately being dethroned. That's got to sting.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2015, 01:52:34 pm »

I got a US box. I guess it's the end of the world for me. The cards seems the same, I don't think it matters much.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2015, 01:59:15 pm »
+3

A reddit thread on this: http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/34c9wh/gamers_beware_newest_printings_of_rio_grande/

Ah, reddit, where would we be without you?

Oh right, here in a real forum discussing things with (mostly) adults.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +26074
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2015, 02:14:52 pm »
+3

The post claims Hasboro was responsible for the Event backs; Donald had said is was just a mistake from Jay himself, right?
He has.

If I had it to do again I think I would give them a unique back. You can still shuffle that into the randomizers, and it's better for when you have them as a separate deck.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »

That difference is, to me, a difference that technically exists but I would never, ever notice during gameplay. I couldn't even tell in the first and second pictures which cards were Adventures (the third one I got).

In fact, I'd think that the wear on the old cards is going to be a way more obvious giveaway, enough to make any shading difference moot (for those who play unsleeved).

I think the reason is less visible is because of my choice of camera / lighting. Trust me, in person it's visible enough that you'll notice even if you're not looking for differences. To me, this is as bad as miscut cards - it's something you instantly see / can't unsee as soon as the card is on your deck. Wear on the cards can be an issue but I usually have to look for it in order to notice it and figure out which cards are which.

I mean, I guess I should sleeve the cards anyway, and if I find a storage solution that's as convenient as binders and doesn't cost me even more money I guess I'll take the plunge. And wear is uneven so someone *trying* to cheat probably always could.

It's not going to ruin the game for me, but I just have to consciously really try to not look at my deck, etc. which can be annoying. It's a good thing Adventures is so, so, so good.

On a positive note, I'm really happy with the thicker cardboard for the mats and tokens. I don't really care if tokens are cut slightly off center, the mats all came out great and they're sized a lot better than the Island mats, etc. were.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:39:07 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2015, 10:18:20 pm »
+5

Well...I think it is more complicated than that. I agree with you that this forum is nothing short of amazing much of the time, not really because it is "(mostly) adults" but rather because it is a fairly closely knit community that, quite exceptionally, includes not only the creator of the game itself but many of the very best Dominion players on the planet. People who have played this game, in some cases, 5,000 or 10,000 times or more. I really do now subscribe to Mic Q's motto ("Don't buy into the myth of the genius Dominion player, remember we're all morons"), but there is a lot to be learned from people who have done this like 500 times more often than you have, and I am amazed that this knowledge is so freely shared. I have to say, it's much like the chess clubs of my youth, except that you can definitely bump into people here who are the current IMs or GMs of Dominion...even if they are morons at heart.

Clearly, reddit is not like that. Reddit is almost by definition the teaming masses, yearning to post memes. At many times and in many places, a bunch of undergraduates with too much time and Mountain Dew on their hands. The results can definitely be wince-worthy. And pretty destructive; this has happened before. I am old enough to remember the glory days of Usenet, its rise and its horrific fall. I clearly remember the exact moment when Alexander Stepanov disengaged from comp.lang.c++ (I think his last words were "You win") when confronted by a wall of sheer idiocy. I sometimes wonder whether a system of up- and down-votes would have saved Usenet, but I'm guessing...probably not. Reddit is obviously only safe for throwaway accounts, and, man, I should know.

So what is reddit good for, from this perspective? Well, I can say with confidence that, by the force of sheer numbers, it is not unlikely that the next top-rated Dominion moron will come from some place like reddit than from some vacuum or from anywhere else, frankly.

How could that happen? Well, this is likely somebody one third my age who will get the base set or the Big Box for a birthday or Christmas and who will play obsessively at first, winning more than anybody else in his or her IRL group can stand and then find out that there is an online version, sign up, and...get crushed. Like a bug. And the next thing that will happen is...u/Scout_rulz will log onto reddit and whine about it on r/dominion. Somebody else will point out that Mic Q or Wandering Winder or whoever streamed a board like one of theirs two weeks ago but won gloriously. Youtube is just a click away, it's just a click away...and the next thing you know, /u/Scout_rulz will have binge-watched the collected streams of everybody, bought the Ultrapack online, reinvented Bishop-Fortress independently, gained 35 ISO levels, and, oh yeah: found f.ds. Then, six to twelve months later, Scout_rulz will be dissing the morons on reddit.

It's the circle of life. :-)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1981
    • View Profile
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2015, 02:27:15 am »

Well...I think it is more complicated than that. I agree with you that this forum is nothing short of amazing much of the time, not really because it is "(mostly) adults" but rather because it is a fairly closely knit community that, quite exceptionally, includes not only the creator of the game itself but many of the very best Dominion players on the planet. [...]

Awww thanks!!

And I despise Reddit. I think theory's link was only the 3rd time I clicked on a link to Reddit. I managed to keep that tab open for maybe a full minute before I got annoyed.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2015, 09:17:51 am »

Well...I think it is more complicated than that. I agree with you that this forum is nothing short of amazing much of the time, not really because it is "(mostly) adults" but rather because it is a fairly closely knit community that, quite exceptionally, includes not only the creator of the game itself but many of the very best Dominion players on the planet. People who have played this game, in some cases, 5,000 or 10,000 times or more. I really do now subscribe to Mic Q's motto ("Don't buy into the myth of the genius Dominion player, remember we're all morons"), but there is a lot to be learned from people who have done this like 500 times more often than you have, and I am amazed that this knowledge is so freely shared. I have to say, it's much like the chess clubs of my youth, except that you can definitely bump into people here who are the current IMs or GMs of Dominion...even if they are morons at heart.

Clearly, reddit is not like that. Reddit is almost by definition the teaming masses, yearning to post memes. At many times and in many places, a bunch of undergraduates with too much time and Mountain Dew on their hands. The results can definitely be wince-worthy. And pretty destructive; this has happened before. I am old enough to remember the glory days of Usenet, its rise and its horrific fall. I clearly remember the exact moment when Alexander Stepanov disengaged from comp.lang.c++ (I think his last words were "You win") when confronted by a wall of sheer idiocy. I sometimes wonder whether a system of up- and down-votes would have saved Usenet, but I'm guessing...probably not. Reddit is obviously only safe for throwaway accounts, and, man, I should know.

So what is reddit good for, from this perspective? Well, I can say with confidence that, by the force of sheer numbers, it is not unlikely that the next top-rated Dominion moron will come from some place like reddit than from some vacuum or from anywhere else, frankly.

How could that happen? Well, this is likely somebody one third my age who will get the base set or the Big Box for a birthday or Christmas and who will play obsessively at first, winning more than anybody else in his or her IRL group can stand and then find out that there is an online version, sign up, and...get crushed. Like a bug. And the next thing that will happen is...u/Scout_rulz will log onto reddit and whine about it on r/dominion. Somebody else will point out that Mic Q or Wandering Winder or whoever streamed a board like one of theirs two weeks ago but won gloriously. Youtube is just a click away, it's just a click away...and the next thing you know, /u/Scout_rulz will have binge-watched the collected streams of everybody, bought the Ultrapack online, reinvented Bishop-Fortress independently, gained 35 ISO levels, and, oh yeah: found f.ds. Then, six to twelve months later, Scout_rulz will be dissing the morons on reddit.

It's the circle of life :)

So, when's the publish date for that novel? :)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2015, 09:42:56 am »
+4

It's the circle of life. :-)

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2015, 11:28:29 pm »
+1

It looks like I will have to be doing that, unfortunately. Just got it today, and one of my decks was completely miscut.

Here are some Distant Lands (but bonus: I got a total of eleven!)
http://imgur.com/yH4Qnuz

...and the whole deck is basically like that. (This was the Distant Lands -> last 6 Dungeons deck; the others are fine.) I didn't realize the backs were messed up until I had sleeved them.

If you have the chance, can you list what cards are in that deck? My Distant Lands also appear somewhat miscut; it's not as bad as yours, but if you know to look you can tell them apart from other cards easily (never-been-played-with Scout used for comparison). If there's a list of cards from that deck I'd know what else to check. Thanks!

So Todd Jensen, RGG Spare Parts Guy, already got back to me about sending replacements.

Yesterday I got the replacements via USPS, and today I had a chance to sleeve them, etc.

Needless to say...the replacements were fine.

Those of you who looked at the pictures of my originals (the "gold band deck", as it is apparently known) could easily see that these were misprints that would have been rejected by even the most nominal QC, and that I do find a bit disconcerting. But RGG did exactly what they were supposed to do, and I am hoping to play Adventures IRL for rather a long time.

My only other comment about the physical box stuff is that it is not clear to me where the tavern mats are really supposed to fit inside the box. I suspect we will be mostly relying on the Power Of Imagination to delineate the Tavern space on the table in front of us, but since you do get the actual mats...I wasn't sure where to put them.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9633
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2015, 11:32:36 pm »

I just place the mats in two stacks of three on top of the cards, just under the rules.  Similar thing with Prosperity's mats, though I have no idea why it comes with 8 Victory token mats.  The Seaside mats fit snugly underneath Wharf in the box, so that's fine.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4341
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2015, 10:59:53 am »

Got my copy for my birthday yesterday.  No misprints, no misalignment I can notice.  The cards do feel a bit weaker, but I seem to be able to shuffle them sleeved just fine.  Guess I got one of the good ones.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2015, 04:02:16 pm »
+3

I'll chime in; I got a US copy when it became available on Amazon.

Thankfully, none of my cards are miscut. I didn't immediately notice the increased flimsiness, and when my girlfriend did I originally assumed it was because they were less used. But, now that I'm aware, I can tell immediately with any card in the set.

There's a bigger problem though: my Adventures cards have noticeably lighter backs than any other cards. It's really obvious while shuffling, though I don't think I would notice across the table. So far this hasn't impacted any games, but as others have concluded, if something were at stake in a tournament it would be a big deal.

I also have to echo disappointment in the cardboard; I really like the tavern artwork so it's sad that the printing is so hard to see. I love the expansion, but unfortunately the physical quality is low.

obligatory: lurking for a while, first post!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2467
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2015, 04:47:10 pm »

I'll chime in; I got a US copy when it became available on Amazon.

Thankfully, none of my cards are miscut. I didn't immediately notice the increased flimsiness, and when my girlfriend did I originally assumed it was because they were less used. But, now that I'm aware, I can tell immediately with any card in the set.

There's a bigger problem though: my Adventures cards have noticeably lighter backs than any other cards. It's really obvious while shuffling, though I don't think I would notice across the table. So far this hasn't impacted any games, but as others have concluded, if something were at stake in a tournament it would be a big deal.

I also have to echo disappointment in the cardboard; I really like the tavern artwork so it's sad that the printing is so hard to see. I love the expansion, but unfortunately the physical quality is low.

obligatory: lurking for a while, first post!

If the mats had a glossy finish, the mats would look just fine. It also bothers more a little how off center the tokens are

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10739
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2015, 06:09:35 pm »

If the mats had a glossy finish, the mats would look just fine. It also bothers more a little how off center the tokens are

My tokens are completely centered. If you have off-center tokens, I'm betting you can get them replaced.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9633
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2015, 06:26:25 pm »
+1

My tokens are completely centered. If you have off-center tokens, I'm betting you can get them replaced.

Off-center tokens really don't bother me at all - I'm just kind of used to physical board game things being like that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2467
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2015, 07:34:08 pm »

Odd. I thought all the tokens were off center. Mine are really, really off, like way off-center. I guess I will let Jay know.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 17 queries.