Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: New mechanics  (Read 28572 times)

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
Re: New mechanics
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2015, 12:04:48 am »
+1

Did we ever get an answer on whether Duplicate is a noun or a verb?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2015, 12:09:03 am »

Because that totally changes how I pronounce the word.  I mean, it is either duplicate or duplicate.  I have to know.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2015, 12:17:38 am »
+5

It has to be duplicate because otherwise this is a problem:

"Oh man, I can't wait to play my first game of Adventures with Cornucopia!"

"Let's see, what's in my hand this turn… Duplicate, Transmogrify, Transmogrify, Menagerie, Fortune Teller. Okay, good thing Transmogrify is non-terminal! I'll play one of those, and then my Menagerie will hit!"

"Hey… why did my Menagerie only draw one card?"

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2015, 12:19:39 am »

It has to be a verb. It's not a duplicate (well there are 10 of them, but that's not unusual), it duplicates things.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2015, 12:52:58 am »

Also, a Moat Reserve would only be called when an opponent played an Attack, so there would be some games where it just sit sadly on your Tavern mat, or not be bought at all.  At least Moat can draw you cards.

It could be a Victory card.

But then how would it get onto your mat?

In addition to being an Action card and a Reserve card.

That's three kinds of timing, requiring two dividing lines. Not gonna happen.

"Hello!"

--Distant Lands

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2015, 01:50:15 am »
+2

Also, a Moat Reserve would only be called when an opponent played an Attack, so there would be some games where it just sit sadly on your Tavern mat, or not be bought at all.  At least Moat can draw you cards.

It could be a Victory card.

But then how would it get onto your mat?

In addition to being an Action card and a Reserve card.

That's three kinds of timing, requiring two dividing lines. Not gonna happen.

"Hello!"

--Distant Lands

Distant Lands does not have Moat functionality and it does not have 3 kinds of timing.  Note how it can't be called at all.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:51:34 am by eHalcyon »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2015, 03:15:35 am »
+1

Was there ever a thought to not having reserve be a card type? Unless I've missed something in one of the new cards, there's nothing that makes reference to the type, nor do they have any special rules associated with them. So they would function just fine without the type. Even the different color isn't necessarily much of a necessary reminder, because those cards are sitting there on your Tavern Mat anyway; they aren't mixed in with other cards like reactions are (except perhaps some Coppers from Miser).
No, I wanted them to have a different color, which meant having a new card type. It's nice to connect them that way too.

joel88s

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2015, 10:09:47 am »

It has to be a verb. It's not a duplicate (well there are 10 of them, but that's not unusual), it duplicates things.

Well, Wharf is not a wharf either. You could argue when you buy a card it gives you a duplicate; as you point out the duplicates are already there.

But I also tend toward calling it a verb. While most card names are nouns, the ones that say what they actually do (Remodel, Remake, Rebuild, Transmogrify) seem mostly to be verbs. Actually just realized the same question exists with Remake (which I've always pronounced as a noun), though the difference is less... pronounced if you will - and somehow we've all survived.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2015, 10:28:25 am »
+1

I am feeling a strong urge to share my opinions on the difference between Grant Beige and Manchester Tan.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2015, 06:39:28 pm »

Because that totally changes how I pronounce the word.  I mean, it is either duplicate or duplicate.  I have to know.

So I was all going to insist on "duplicate" as noun because all cards have a noun reading even where a verb was possible, and that seemed intentional. But then I actually looked at the actual data...and that's not right. In the English language version, anyway, at least the following cards essentially have to be verbs:

Expand

Develop

Rebuild

Raze

Transmogrify

Borrow

(Okay, so "Rebuild" could just barely be a noun, as could Remodel, Remake and Save except for the context.) So I have decided to call it whatever I feel like on the spur of the moment, but probably "duplicate" as verb. Still, it's interesting that the Dominion author did at one point appear to have a strong preference for giving cards names that where the noun reading was strongly favored. And now my inner Medievalist will shut up.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2015, 08:46:56 pm »
+1

To be honest, I consider all cards to be nouns which I know goes against grammar, but here me out. A card is a physical thing. It does something in the game, therefore, any card in Dominion is a noun despite its name.

joel88s

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2015, 09:58:17 pm »

No, that's absolutely right, the card name, capitalized, becomes a noun whatever it is as a normal word. When you play Expand, it's obviously a noun and a direct object. Just like when I say you are Beyond Awesome, Beyond Awesome is a noun (phrase) because it's the name of something, you, as opposed to a prepositional phrase, or adverbial phrase, or whatever the hell it would be uncapitalized.

The issue with Duplicate is just how to pronounce it, 'as if' it were a verb, or a noun.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2015, 10:19:38 pm »

No, that's absolutely right, the card name, capitalized, becomes a noun whatever it is as a normal word. When you play Expand, it's obviously a noun and a direct object. Just like when I say you are Beyond Awesome, Beyond Awesome is a noun (phrase) because it's the name of something, you, as opposed to a prepositional phrase, or adverbial phrase, or whatever the hell it would be uncapitalized.

The issue with Duplicate is just how to pronounce it, 'as if' it were a verb, or a noun.

I pronounce it as a verb, and use it as a noun, except when I'm using it as a verb.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2015, 01:38:34 am »
+4

I play mostly IRL so we all announce what we're doing on our turns. Any card that involves me choosing something I say as a verb and use it as a verb, even if it's not. For all remodelers, trashers, etc. when I play it I say, "I Remodel Gold into a Province" or, "I'm going to Stonemason a Peddler into two Nobles". Heck, I even use it for other cards like, "I Cellar three cards" or "I Workshop a Gardens". Using them as verbs is a fast way to convey what was played and what I choose to do with it when I played it. So Duplicate is gonna be a verb in my lexicon.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2015, 02:06:58 am »

I use card names as nouns when I'm referring to the card itself, and as verbs when I'm referring to what the card does.

Funny how that works.

--

Duplicate is unusual because Duplicate-as-noun may refer to the duplicate created, not the duplicator. So in this instance you may wish to pronounce duplicate-as-verb in reference to the card.  It should be clear from context anyway so it doesn't matter.
My opponent has more loot than me

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2015, 02:36:39 am »
+4

Well, Wharf is not a wharf either. You could argue when you buy a card it gives you a duplicate; as you point out the duplicates are already there.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2015, 11:31:45 am »
+1

Thank you! I knew there was a meme I wanted to make for the "Best card" thread but I couldn't remember what it was. Now if I can remember how to make it ...

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2015, 07:16:51 am »

Actually just realized the same question exists with Remake (which I've always pronounced as a noun), though the difference is less... pronounced if you will - and somehow we've all survived.

Hmm... I think this must be a regional thing, because to me the verb remake and the noun remake have identical pronunciation. I can't work out where the difference would be. Do you say one with a shorter E sound?

joel88s

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2015, 10:22:55 am »
+1

Actually just realized the same question exists with Remake (which I've always pronounced as a noun), though the difference is less... pronounced if you will - and somehow we've all survived.

Hmm... I think this must be a regional thing, because to me the verb remake and the noun remake have identical pronunciation. I can't work out where the difference would be. Do you say one with a shorter E sound?

For my ear the difference is stress, RE-make for noun, re-MAKE for verb.

joel88s

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2015, 10:37:12 am »

I play mostly IRL so we all announce what we're doing on our turns. Any card that involves me choosing something I say as a verb and use it as a verb, even if it's not. For all remodelers, trashers, etc. when I play it I say, "I Remodel Gold into a Province" or, "I'm going to Stonemason a Peddler into two Nobles". Heck, I even use it for other cards like, "I Cellar three cards" or "I Workshop a Gardens". Using them as verbs is a fast way to convey what was played and what I choose to do with it when I played it. So Duplicate is gonna be a verb in my lexicon.

Ah, good point, we do routinely verb card names when they affect other cards. (The fact that "I Remodel Gold" sounds like English and "I Stonemason a Peddler" doesn't is incidental.) I guess it would feel pretty weird to use 'Duplicate' as a verb and say it as a noun. So maybe you'll wind up saying "I University a Minion,  and call Duplikit to Duplikate it."

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2015, 10:44:46 am »
+3

Not unique to Dominion cards.

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

joel88s

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2015, 11:13:59 am »

No, very much the rage.
(And you know what I'm referencing.)

joel88s

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2015, 12:18:53 pm »
+5

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2015, 09:55:17 pm »

Ah, good point, we do routinely verb card names when they affect other cards. (The fact that "I Remodel Gold" sounds like English and "I Stonemason a Peddler" doesn't is incidental.) I guess it would feel pretty weird to use 'Duplicate' as a verb and say it as a noun. So maybe you'll wind up saying "I University a Minion,  and call Duplikit to Duplikate it."

I think I'd more simply say "I University a Minion, and Duplicate it." But I had never considered pronouncing Duplicate as a noun until it came up in the Preview thread. For me, I think all cards that can be verbs default to their verb pronunciation.

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2015, 10:05:55 pm »
+2

For my ear the difference is stress, RE-make for noun, re-MAKE for verb.

It is a principle in English that for two-syllable words that could be nouns and verbs, the noun form takes stress on the first syllable and verb form takes stress on the second syllable. For example: rebel, record, contest, conflict, etc.

That being said, it may be somewhat dialectical or generational, because I pronounce nouns/verbs like remake, protest, import, etc. always with the emphasis on the first syllable, although I recognize some people stress the second when they're verbs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 2.061 seconds with 20 queries.