Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Munchkins...???  (Read 15283 times)

7string

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: 7string
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Munchkins...???
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:14 pm »

Anybody notice Amazon's posting for Adventures?...Do we have an early April Fool's Day, or just a messed up database?  Or are there some surprises ahead in the new cards...?

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Grande-Games-501RGG-Adventures/dp/B00TF7YMVW/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1427855159&sr=1-2&keywords=dominion+adventures+expansion

Dominion Adventures Game
by Rio Grande Games

List Price:   $44.99
Price:   $35.99 + $12.00 shipping
You Save:   $9.00 (20%)
This item will be released on April 27, 2015.
Pre-order now.
Ships from and sold by Funagain Games. Gift-wrap available.
Estimated Delivery Date: April 28 - 30 when you choose Expedited at checkout.
Fast-Paced role playing party game
This is an expansion for munchkin adventure time, not a stand-alone game
All the great fun of munchkin with an adventure time theme
Perfect gift for munchkin and adventure time fans
Officially licensed by Steve Jackson games & cartoon network

Product Description
Your quest for victory in the land of Ooo just turned into a dungeon crawl, complete with new monsters, treasures, curses and special portals. Munchkin adventure time 2 it's a dungeon crawl adds 90 cards and 12 special oversized dungeon cards to the original munchkin adventure time. Contents: 90, 12 dungeon cards, instructions this is an expansion for munchkin adventure time, not a stand-alone game.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Munchkins...???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:37:53 pm »

I sent them a note about it a few days ago. They've got the details for Munchkin: Adventure Time there instead of the correct ones.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:50:19 pm »
+7

I hate Munchkin! Ugh.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 01:49:04 am »
+2

I hate Munchkin! Ugh.

Yes, but hear me out...if you're going to play Munchkin, you should play Adventure Time Munchkin.

I'm actually serious about this.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:30:40 am »
+5

I hate Munchkin! Ugh.
if you're going to play Munchkin, you should play Adventure Time Munchkin.
Sorry, I'm not going to play munchkin.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 01:16:48 pm »
+7

I hate Munchkin! Ugh.

Still a true statement. If FALSE implies TRUE then TRUE.

I could say, "If you're going to play Munchkin, I'm Rob Lowe." True statement…at least until you get drugged and are forced to play the game. Then I'm a liar. Please don't get kidnapped.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 03:35:21 pm »
+1

I hate Munchkin! Ugh.

Still a true statement. If FALSE implies TRUE then TRUE.

I could say, "If you're going to play Munchkin, I'm Rob Lowe." True statement…at least until you get drugged and are forced to play the game. Then I'm a liar. Please don't get kidnapped.

I think Rob Lowe is setting your sights a bit low, anyway.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 05:22:15 pm »
+3

Is this a preview for the next Rob Lowe commercial?

Hi, I'm Rob Lowe and I have Direct TV.

Hi, I'm Munchkin-playing Rob Lowe and I have cable.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:56:42 am by jamfamsam »
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 02:26:13 pm »

Do we know why Amazon lists the release date as April 27? I usually rely on Amazon for getting my Dominion expansions and I don't want to have to wait until the 27th!

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 03:26:52 pm »

Do we know why Amazon lists the release date as April 27? I usually rely on Amazon for getting my Dominion expansions and I don't want to have to wait until the 27th!
Currently they say April 23. However they also say it's an Adventure Time expansion. I don't know how Amazon comes by its info; Jay is still saying April 18.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 08:17:19 pm »

Currently they say April 23. However they also say it's an Adventure Time expansion. I don't know how Amazon comes by its info; Jay is still saying April 18.

So Amazon is often pretty cagey about availability and shipping times, noting that people are generally thrilled to get stuff early and...very angry when stuff is late. They also seem to be supplying these through third parties, and that could end up tacking on a day or two vs Amazon's robotic warehouses.

The Munchkin Adventure Time thing is just surreal. Somebody is pulling bad data from somewhere, in all likelihood. One thing I noted is that the model number they cite is 501RGG where I would have expected 510RGG. Anyway, I am either going to go for FLGS or funagain at this point.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 07:12:03 pm »

The Munchkin Adventure Time thing is just surreal. Somebody is pulling bad data from somewhere, in all likelihood. One thing I noted is that the model number they cite is 501RGG where I would have expected 510RGG. Anyway, I am either going to go for FLGS or funagain at this point.

Okay, so somebody on reddit first ordered Dominion Adventures from Amazon, then cancelled when it seemed that some Munchkin expansion was on offer...only to be contacted by the seller who verified it really *was* the Dominion Adventures expansion, after all. So the order was un-cancelled.

But it still won't ship from Amazon, so Prime won't get it to you faster, so I'm just going to camp outside my FLGS on the day of release.  :)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 07:25:52 pm »
+1

I hate Munchkin! Ugh.

Yes, but hear me out...if you're going to play Munchkin, you should play Adventure Time Munchkin.

I'm actually serious about this.

I'm with you here. Adventure Time Munchkin is probably the best variant I've played.

My interest in Munchkin at this point is limited to feeding nostalgic impulses and having something to do while deciding what real game my friends and I want to play that night. But AT Munchkin is a lot less bad than some other variants.

I'd rather play Adventures though, obviously.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 08:13:36 pm »

Adventure Time Munchkin is probably the best variant I've played.

Deciding which is the best Munchkin variant seems very similar to deciding which is the best tropical disease.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 08:38:27 pm »
+2

Adventure Time Munchkin is probably the best variant I've played.

Deciding which is the best Munchkin variant seems very similar to deciding which is the best tropical disease.

It's got to be malaria.  Stick with the classics.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 10:13:55 pm »
+1

FYI: Amazon finally fixed the product listing.

noughtpointzero

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 03:51:52 am »

Genuine question: what don't people like about munchkin? I know it's quite luck-based but I have always thought it to be ok. I haven't played it a huge bunch though.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 07:32:27 am »
+2

Genuine question: what don't people like about munchkin? I know it's quite luck-based but I have always thought it to be ok. I haven't played it a huge bunch though.

My biggest gripe with it is that the game tends to degenerate into endless infighting. All the players gang up on whoever is closest to winning, depleting everyone's resources without actually advancing the game towards its end condition. So you get this repeating cycle of build-up/tear-down that lasts hours until someone is lucky enough to get a hand of cards that spell out "YOU WIN NOW."

IMO, Munchkin would be fine as a silly filler game if it had a shorter playtime.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 07:50:45 am »

In most games, the mechanics of the game naturally lead the game towards its end. It creates a sense of urgency, where your time is valuable and you have to be careful about what you do with it. No matter who is playing the game with you, there's a game clock and there's a purpose to everything that happens. In Munchkin, the mechanics of the game lead you to drag out the game as much as possible; what most people consider to be the mechanics that make Munchkin fun are the same ones that take a game situation and drag it out for a really long time in a really not-fun way for absolutely no reason. You get ahead because someone chose you to get ahead for a non-game-related reason but you get set back by game-related reasons, which makes the game not fun; if the game took 10 minutes and you could play 5 in a row that might be fun, but you can't because the game takes 3 hours and most of the time you aren't actually doing anything, you're watching other people do things and feeling left out.

There's also the part of the rulebook that basically says "we know we didn't write all the rules to this game because we're too lazy. If something comes up that isn't covered by the rulebook, the person who owns the game just gets to decide." This is not only complete garbage, but offensive to everyone who's ever made a board game, played a board game, or bought a board game. How anyone would pay money for a game that up-front admits this and make no effort to fix it is beyond me.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 09:47:57 am »
+2

The group I have played it with a couple times hasn't had stupidly long games, but I suspect it is because they tend to get too wrapped up in politics.  Someone ends up being allowed to win because everyone is too focused on getting back at that guy that screwed them over earlier to stop the person in the lead (or to even realize they are taking the lead).

There is also some major disagreement about the card "Cheat" that I wish I could remember.

Perhaps Adam and pedroluchini need to make sure they throw in these cards I just found while looking up "Cheat", if they get forced into playing. (at least the 1st and 3rd)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:52:42 am by Deadlock39 »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 10:06:41 am »
+1

1) Politics. People help other people for irrational reasons, and it drives me insane. Then again, if people helped rationally the game would never end.

2) Poorly written rules. It takes a while to just figure out the basics of how the game is supposed ti to work, and then you still don't know how to play and have to make up your own rules. At first I thought the rulebook was hilarious. It isn't.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 10:18:40 am »

3) the rule that you can cheat. If I'm subjected to Munckin, I put whatever we're tracking levels with at 9 to start. The first time I go up a level, I announce that I've won. Works 99% of the time, and then no-one has to play Munckin anymore.

tl:dr would be a fun game if it took minutes not hours

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 10:35:07 am »

Personally I think Munchkin is a game best played drunk. It's not _supposed_ to be serious.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 11:02:14 am »
+1

I don't think that Munchkin is horrible. I mean, actually playing it is suffering, but just the fact that it exists is amusing enough.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

noughtpointzero

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 01:43:09 pm »

Fair enough. It is true that I struggled a lot to understand the rules when I first read them. And obviously having come later to both Dominion and Magic, it can't really compete with them.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.601 seconds with 20 queries.