Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: It's tempting to blame this one on luck. I bought Wharfs and villages...  (Read 3318 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile

Code: [Select]
Cellar, Secret Chamber, Workshop, Bridge, Monument, Baker, Bandit Camp, Library, Wharf, Bankhttp://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150610/log.516dc40ce4b082c74d7c8baa.1433967595493.txt

I boughts wharfs and villages. They just wouldn't line up with each other. I kept getting Wharf and bridge in the same hand without a bandit camp. There was no trashing on the board, but I hoped cellar would help make up for that.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
+2

You should open Wharf-Silver, not Bridge-Silver. Workshop is terrible here, you aren't going to connect Bandit Camp-Bridge-Workshop reliably to gain $5s with it. Monument is also bad, you want to play Wharves as your terminals. You should get at least 2 Wharves before even considering Bandit Camps. Wharf stays out for two turns so it collides less than other terminals. On turn 13 you still had only 2 Wharves, and 5 Bandit Camps. Once you have a high density of Wharves, Bank is quite strong (can be worth even more than Platinum).

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
+4

If Goko's RNG forced you to...

1. Open Bridge/Silver over Wharf/Silver.
2. Buy a Bandit Camp before having at least two Wharfs.
3. Add a Workshop to a deck that will struggle to produce enough actions (making Bridge-Workshop a pipedream) with no spammable non-terminals around.
4. Get a second Bandit Camp before getting a second Wharf.
5. Get Baker over a fourth Wharf.
6. Play with two Monuments in a deck very short on actions and in a Colony game, which makes the Monument points barely relevant.
7. Get four Cellars.

...then, yes, you got very unlucky indeed!

Instead try to keep it simple: get all the Wharfs you can get until the pile is empty, with the occasional Bandit Camp mixed in as you need it. Skip all other terminals. Once you're drawing the deck each turn you can add a Bank or two (these should produce more money than Platina). Play with at most one Cellar until you're greening, at which point you can consider adding a second.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
+3

I think you need to play this as straight wharf+bandit camp. Assuming that you're going to split the bandit camps with your opponent, you're going to have about 5 spoils in your deck at any time, plus your starting cards, plus some silvers to get you started, so your best bet is to draw them all together and spend them with lots of +buys. Wharves will do that for you. Just lots of wharves. Anything fancy with workshops and bridges is going in a different direction to the basis of your deck.

Could we keep the feedback positive please. I like to see game reports put up and I don't want to see people deterred by the feedback.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:59:53 pm by DG »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

When you have 51 cards in your deck, 3 Wharves aren't enough to draw it. Basically the main problems are that you have too much junk in your deck and that you don't have enough Wharves. Opening Wharf/Silver should give you enough economy for getting more Wharves and Bandit Camps in the early game, you don't need more Silvers. You also don't need a Workshop because there are no cards you want to gain with it. You might want Bridges and/or Monuments later depending on how the game goes, but I don't think you want them that early.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile

OK. It's hard for me to be that focussed.
Also, probably my first mistake in this game was not realizing I had a starting coin token until after my opening buys.

That probably the biggest two obsticles for me in becoming a better Dominion player:
1) I need to slow down and think more about the board before my opening buys.
2) I need to break the habit of thinking it's more fun to try to incorporate more different cards into my deck, which makes it hard to focus on buying only the cards I need. Another thing is that if it turns out that it really is more fun for me to incorporate more cards into my deck then having fun would trump getting better. I'm sure I could at least focus on certain cards more than I do and still use other cards later, in that way getting better without having less fun.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:43:36 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Is veriety more fun than a focussed strategy?
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 06:42:38 pm »

This brings me to the game right after it, which I hardly regret losing because it was fun. The reason I didn't win: I was having fun with black market and collecting all the cards which I thought could fit nicely in my deck. I clearly should've excluded Black Market from my league matches...

some of my thoughts during the game: I'd rather collect these other cool cards instead of buying alchemists. Hunting Party is similar. Maybe it'll make up for not going for alchemists.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150610/log.516dc40ce4b082c74d7c8baa.1433969061656.txt

Code: [Select]
Duchess, Fool's Gold, Black Market, Sage, Alchemist, Bridge, Plaza, Remake, Counterfeit, Hunting Party, Upgrade

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Is veriety more fun than a focussed strategy?
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 06:54:10 pm »
+1

This brings me to the game right after it, which I hardly regret losing because it was fun. The reason I didn't win: I was having fun with black market and collecting all the cards which I thought could fit nicely in my deck. I clearly should've excluded Black Market from my league matches...

Black Market was fine, there are a lot of cards in the Black Market deck that you actually want. But you need to trash down a lot faster than that, and you need to have more Hunting Parties than that. The thing you want to be doing here is playing a lot of Bridges every turn, and you can't do that if your deck is full of junk and doesn't have any draw in it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever

I bought wharfs and villages. They just wouldn't line up with each other.

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.142 seconds with 22 queries.