Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion dream  (Read 3440 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Dominion dream
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:06:42 am »
+9

I dreamed last night that Donald and I were playing his new set that had just come out. And it was a pretty bad set. I don't remember the set name or any card names, but the mechanics borrowed several things from MTG, which were just not good for Dominion,  A few things I remember:

- The worst part, it had a pay-to-win type thing. I have no idea how this was supposed to work with an IRL game, but basically the expansion itself only came with part of the expansion; during the game you could buy the rest of the expansion to have access to more stuff. Yeah, you would actually buy the rest of the expansion as part of the game-play mechanics.

- It had several cards that only one player could get. At the beginning, you were assigned a random "faction" card; which would allow you to take certain other cards as they came out.

- Yes, other cards "came out"... I guess like Ascension style? I don't remember exactly, but there was definitely an element where the set of cards you could purchase or use each turn kept changing.

- There were a lot of combo-specific cards. You would buy one card which did nothing unless you collected a bunch of tokens on it, and you needed different cards to get those tokens.

- There were these "goal" cards that rotated each game. I guess maybe like my alternate win condition cards idea, except these completely replaced VP. I don't remember if the VP cards were still in the game or not, but I remember that the way to win was to complete certain goals. Mostly involving getting enough of those tokens.

- The interactions and rules were complex. At one point I asked how a certain thing would work, and Donald didn't know. He looked through the rulebook to try and find what it said and make a ruling off of it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:32:53 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion dream
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:04:09 am »
+1

*wags finger at Donald X*

Man, you're slipping.
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 12:14:17 pm »
+1

I had a "dream" where I helped Donald playtest too.  But maybe he actually drugged us and brought us to playtest and drugged us again to wipe our memories!?!?!

1. The closest thing I've heard of this sort of awful is that in Modern Masters drafts, store clerks would make an allowance for players who opened a pack with 2 money rares in it to put the pack in their collection, pause the draft, walk to the counter, buy a replacement pack, crack it, and use that to take the money pack's place in the draft.
If the money rares were not the suitable type for your draft deck that could certainly help you win the draft when you elect to accept the allowance.
One of those reminders I really oughtta stay away from that hobby.
Actually Magic drafts kinda have some perpetual pay to win built in where if you are willing to walk away from 10$ rares that won't make your deck as powerful as the 10 cent common in the pack you get the option to do that.

2.  Star Realms is a lot like this, except you kinda buy a card from a certain faction because that's how much $ you have in your opening hand, and then from there are incentivized to keep spamming that faction.

3.  Oh is this an elaborate remote assault on the Black Market thread?

4. I love color-by-the-numbers strategies!  Do you know whether Donald was making sure the cards that gave the corresponding tokens were somehow always out?  (if your dreams are like mine you might have just "known" whether this was true without the knowledge ever being communicated to you)

5.  I had a dream with the goal cards once, except they were still worth VP in the end.   I need to get on your level in the extent to which my dreams crap up dominion!

6. Hm.. I feel like that might happen for real sometimes

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:11:03 pm »
+7

My Dominion dreams are a lot more mundane, though one time the number of players continually increased so that it never actually reached my turn. A slightly frustrating variant, IMO.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 01:56:05 pm »

My Dominion dreams are a lot more mundane, though one time the number of players continually increased so that it never actually reached my turn. A slightly frustrating variant, IMO.

Fascinating.  If players favor a Silver opening and each player brings a copy of Dominion or Dominion: Intrigue to keep the number of Treasure cards appropriate, the game will never end, which suggests an "everybody starves" outcome for the game since no one can win or lose.

However, "everybody" is constantly increasing, and cutting off at any particular point to make the assessment "everybody starves" is always incorrect, because on turn N+1, a new player will be a part of the game and you can't declare him a starver until he has joined.

Checkmate, DXV.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »

- There were a lot of combo-specific cards. You would buy one card which did nothing unless you collected a bunch of tokens on it, and you needed different cards to get those tokens

How did cards collect tokens? Were they Duration cards that stayed in play until certain criteria were met?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 02:20:37 pm »
+1

- There were a lot of combo-specific cards. You would buy one card which did nothing unless you collected a bunch of tokens on it, and you needed different cards to get those tokens

How did cards collect tokens? Were they Duration cards that stayed in play until certain criteria were met?

I don't think they were technically Duration cards, because they really didn't seem like or play like Dominion cards at all. But yes, they stayed out. The whole game was playing out more like MTG than Dominion from what I remember. I seem to remember buying cards and having them go directly into play, not into my deck to be played later.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 03:06:59 pm »
+2

- It had several cards that only one player could get. At the beginning, you were assigned a random "faction" card; which would allow you to take certain other cards as they came out.

- Yes, other cards "came out"... I guess like Ascension style? I don't remember exactly, but there was definitely an element where the set of cards you could purchase or use each turn kept changing.

- There were a lot of combo-specific cards. You would buy one card which did nothing unless you collected a bunch of tokens on it, and you needed different cards to get those tokens.

- There were these "goal" cards that rotated each game. I guess maybe like my alternate win condition cards idea, except these completely replaced VP. I don't remember if the VP cards were still in the game or not, but I remember that the way to win was to complete certain goals. Mostly involving getting enough of those tokens.

- The interactions and rules were complex. At one point I asked how a certain thing would work, and Donald didn't know. He looked through the rulebook to try and find what it said and make a ruling off of it.

So... Race for the Galaxy?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 03:13:14 pm »

I seem to remember buying cards and having them go directly into play, not into my deck to be played later.
You should try War of Omens! You'll love it!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 08:11:49 pm »

Can confirm factions + cards coming out sounds like Star Realms. I wouldn't say you get forced into a faction in the opening, but you are pushed very hard.

The random card dealing is really annoying though. I remember one game where Recycling Station was out, the first player opened with it, and that was it. For a Dominion analogy, imagine only one player gets the effect "At the start of your turn, trash up to 2 cards. Draw cards equal to the number you trashed" for the first 2-3 turns.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 08:35:27 pm »
+4

Sadly I do get Dominion in my dreams sometimes. I'll be having a typical happy dream where I'm maybe sitting on a beach with my favorite lady, drinks in hand, thinking she looks like a princess, and then ... she can buy two extra drinks with the cost reduced once I've counted my gold and silver and .... go away Dominion!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 12:47:24 am »

I recently dreamed something like a Dominion tabletop rpg. It was kindof like an alternate version of the campaigns with two main exceptions:
- the games were played against a human GM (and maybe a third player sometimes)
- the storyline was significantly more involved and interactive with decisions outside of the Dominion matches.

This might be fun to actually do sometime.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 07:35:04 am »
+1

Sadly I do get Dominion in my dreams sometimes. I'll be having a typical happy dream where I'm maybe sitting on a beach with my favorite lady, drinks in hand, thinking she looks like a princess, and then ... she can buy two extra drinks with the cost reduced once I've counted my gold and silver and .... go away Dominion!

Two extra drinks? Your girl's a keeper!
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 10:33:49 am »

I dreamed last night that Donald and I were playing his new set that had just come out. And it was a pretty bad set. I don't remember the set name or any card names, but the mechanics borrowed several things from MTG, which were just not good for Dominion,  A few things I remember:

- The worst part, it had a pay-to-win type thing. I have no idea how this was supposed to work with an IRL game, but basically the expansion itself only came with part of the expansion; during the game you could buy the rest of the expansion to have access to more stuff. Yeah, you would actually buy the rest of the expansion as part of the game-play mechanics.

Did the game include a mechanism for marriage proposal?

http://imgur.com/gallery/WvLbZ
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.121 seconds with 21 queries.