Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 92  All

Author Topic: RMM23: Deus Ex Machina (Town Wins!)  (Read 192525 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: RMM23: Deus Ex Machina (D2!)
« Reply #1400 on: March 23, 2015, 12:37:47 am »

Why are you defending Joseph so heavily?
Why is it a good idea to let him poison more people?

I'm defending Joseph because he's town. At least have the decency to respond to my arguments.

Because you THINK he's town.  You can't know he's town even if you are scum.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: March 23, 2015, 12:38:16 am »

It's a good idea to let him poison more people because town-controlled kills are good.

You think town vigging XP was good?  You think that same vig killing two more players on his own is good?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: March 23, 2015, 12:39:44 am »

Oops. Sorry. I only saw the post where you replied to me, not the one you made about Joseph.

Hmm. Those actually seem like some pretty solid points in Joseph's defense, I feel like something is left out though.

PPE: I disagree. Vigs and other viggish roles are an anti-town role in the hands of someone with terrible reads. The odds are doubly not in our favor of Joesph hitting scum here.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: March 23, 2015, 12:40:27 am »

I missed some PPE's in there somehow. I was replying to faust's most recent post.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: March 23, 2015, 12:44:36 am »

It's a good idea to let him poison more people because town-controlled kills are good.

You think town vigging XP was good?  You think that same vig killing two more players on his own is good?

Man. Look. I've screwed up games, you've screwed up games. That doesn't mean that we should never again be trusted to use a PR.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: March 23, 2015, 12:46:04 am »

I'm defending Joseph because he's town. At least have the decency to respond to my arguments.

Unless you can refute my arguments, this is just meanimgless jibber-jabber.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: March 23, 2015, 12:46:52 am »

Man. Look. I've screwed up games, you've screwed up games. That doesn't mean that we should never again be trusted to use a PR.
I don't even know what to call this. It's not convincing though.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: March 23, 2015, 12:51:40 am »

I think everyone should be able to see that I'm the voice of reason in this discussion while Ichi and ash do nothing but yell "but I'm right! Joseph is a terrible player and needs to be hanged" all the time, lacking any sort of actual argument.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: March 23, 2015, 12:55:02 am »

Unless you can refute my arguments, this is just meanimgless jibber-jabber.

That's bullshit.  You cannot prove he is town anymore than I can prove he is scum.  So you cannot say "He's town" with any certainty, unless you are lying about your role and what you did with it last night or you hacked Archetype's Quicktopic account and read the mod QT.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: March 23, 2015, 12:56:13 am »

I think everyone should be able to see that I'm the voice of reason in this discussion while Ichi and ash do nothing but yell "but I'm right! Joseph is a terrible player and needs to be hanged" all the time, lacking any sort of actual argument.
This is nothing about Joseph's quality as a player. We have proof that his reads are suspect this game given who he targeted N1. Assuming he poisons people in a completely random fashion, it's more likely to hurt us. So why let him poison 2 more people?
Why are you ignoring probability? You're trying to turn this into some sort of emotional argument about giving people chance's and putting untrue words in our mouths about Joseph.

PPE: 1

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: March 23, 2015, 12:57:12 am »

And yes. I am aware of the irony of me talking to people about making emotional arguments.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: March 23, 2015, 12:57:56 am »

So let's run this through. What are the scenarios for scum!Joseph?

1. He actually has the role he claims (or some variant thereof)

First let me state that I think this unlikely because giving scum an extra kill is quite impossible to balance. But okay, let's for a moment work under the assumption that this is possible. What does he do last night? He targets Xerxes with it. I mean, it's conceivable that he lied about this, but really why? With roles confirming stuff, this is dangerous. So we'd have to assume he tells the truth about targeting Xerxes. This makes little sense for scum. Scum targets the player they attack? Why? It robs them off a night kill - and it doesn't even look good on them.
This case is hardly possible. Occam's razor tells us to dismiss it.

2. He lied about this role.

Okay. So he might have another role. This is something we can make sure I can uncover tonight, with little possibility of me dying. But I doubt even this is the case. I mean, what sort of super-crappy fakeclaim is this? If he lied, why claim to have targeted Xerxes? He did the night attack, and is afraid of being Tracked/Watched? There's no such role. Why claim something that in order to work needs help of some other player? Maybe to insinuate that someone is lying. But if this is the case, then why do a full turn before it even plays out? Sorry, but I don't really see this either.
Okay, so there's this chance that he has a role Poisoner that does something different. This would be extremely misleading, like close-to-bastard misleading. It's convention here that mafiascum names are mafiascum roles, and breaking that should at least be announced pregame. And Arch knows about Posioning, he used it in RMM11 I think.

So there's no conceivable scenario where Joseph is scum for me. Still, if you want to be really sure, I can check him tonight. But why would we lynch him? Makes zero sense to me.

As for responding to your "arguments" I assume you mean this big pile of misdirection right here.

I've already address #1 -- he has a killing role, it's called MAFIA.

As for #2, is it worth letting scum to live for another day and kill another night just so you can get his role name?  Poisoner is a scum name, after all, and you are playing the "mafiascum names are sacrosanct" card, so Poisoner should be scum (or SK).  But even if this was normal, and you get "Roleblocker" as his name, then woo, you've DONE NOTHING BUT LET HIM KILL PEOPLE and LET SCUM LIVE.

Why would we do that?  Why?  On the off-chance that he is a Poisoner, at which point we still don't know his alignment?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: March 23, 2015, 12:58:04 am »

Scumhunting is pointless.

Since we've come to this point, I don't see any need for further discussion.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: March 23, 2015, 12:59:57 am »

Really?  Faking quotes from me?  Fuck this.  I'm done.  Either you get modkilled or I quit.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: March 23, 2015, 01:00:25 am »

vote: faust. I refuse to believe that town!faust would play this way.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: March 23, 2015, 01:00:29 am »

So let's run this through. What are the scenarios for scum!Joseph?

1. He actually has the role he claims (or some variant thereof)

First let me state that I think this unlikely because giving scum an extra kill is quite impossible to balance. But okay, let's for a moment work under the assumption that this is possible. What does he do last night? He targets Xerxes with it. I mean, it's conceivable that he lied about this, but really why? With roles confirming stuff, this is dangerous. So we'd have to assume he tells the truth about targeting Xerxes. This makes little sense for scum. Scum targets the player they attack? Why? It robs them off a night kill - and it doesn't even look good on them.
This case is hardly possible. Occam's razor tells us to dismiss it.

2. He lied about this role.

Okay. So he might have another role. This is something we can make sure I can uncover tonight, with little possibility of me dying. But I doubt even this is the case. I mean, what sort of super-crappy fakeclaim is this? If he lied, why claim to have targeted Xerxes? He did the night attack, and is afraid of being Tracked/Watched? There's no such role. Why claim something that in order to work needs help of some other player? Maybe to insinuate that someone is lying. But if this is the case, then why do a full turn before it even plays out? Sorry, but I don't really see this either.
Okay, so there's this chance that he has a role Poisoner that does something different. This would be extremely misleading, like close-to-bastard misleading. It's convention here that mafiascum names are mafiascum roles, and breaking that should at least be announced pregame. And Arch knows about Posioning, he used it in RMM11 I think.

So there's no conceivable scenario where Joseph is scum for me. Still, if you want to be really sure, I can check him tonight. But why would we lynch him? Makes zero sense to me.

As for responding to your "arguments" I assume you mean this big pile of misdirection right here.

I've already address #1 -- he has a killing role, it's called MAFIA.

As for #2, is it worth letting scum to live for another day and kill another night just so you can get his role name?  Poisoner is a scum name, after all, and you are playing the "mafiascum names are sacrosanct" card, so Poisoner should be scum (or SK).  But even if this was normal, and you get "Roleblocker" as his name, then woo, you've DONE NOTHING BUT LET HIM KILL PEOPLE and LET SCUM LIVE.

Why would we do that?  Why?  On the off-chance that he is a Poisoner, at which point we still don't know his alignment?

I suggest you take a nice calm cup of tea. Maybe roll up your sleeves or eat an orange. When you're done, maybe we can start talking like civilized people without yelling at each other.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: March 23, 2015, 01:04:43 am »

Really?  Faking quotes from me?  Fuck this.  I'm done.  Either you get modkilled or I quit.

Look. I'm sorry if I've offended you. I was under the impression that this sort of thing - taking people's quotes and writing in them how they read to you - is a common thing around here, and I've never heard complaints about it. If you don't like it, that's fine, sorry I did that, won't happen again.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: March 23, 2015, 01:05:22 am »

Which way exactly?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: March 23, 2015, 01:09:03 am »

Which way exactly?
I posted this before what Ash said. I feel like you aren't giving anything we say a fair shot--and then acting like we're saying stuff we aren't actually saying. Letting Joseph kill more people given probability and his claimed target for N1 just seems insane!

I mean, it doesn't bother me that much, it just seems anti-town and more focused on needling people and responding to things indirectly with your own spin on them.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: March 23, 2015, 01:11:56 am »

Which way exactly?
I posted this before what Ash said. I feel like you aren't giving anything we say a fair shot--and then acting like we're saying stuff we aren't actually saying. Letting Joseph kill more people given probability and his claimed target for N1 just seems insane!

I mean, it doesn't bother me that much, it just seems anti-town and more focused on needling people and responding to things indirectly with your own spin on them.

So let me get this straight. You say we should lynch a town player because he made a wrong decision? Well, thanks, but I'd prefer to lynch the scum.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: March 23, 2015, 01:15:57 am »

Which way exactly?

So let me get this straight. You say we should lynch a town player because he made a wrong decision? Well, thanks, but I'd prefer to lynch the scum.
Perfect example of what I was talking about. We have other options. We could have Joseph not use his power and have someone check to make sure he doesn't (do we have a role that can do that?). Plus, I don't see much compelling evidence for him being town at this point.

And yeah. It's actually better to lynch town!Joseph then have Joseph kill 2 townies. So actually, yes.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: March 23, 2015, 01:18:43 am »

Perfect example of what I was talking about. We have other options. We could have Joseph not use his power and have someone check to make sure he doesn't (do we have a role that can do that?). Plus, I don't see much compelling evidence for him being town at this point.

And yeah. It's actually better to lynch town!Joseph then have Joseph kill 2 townies. So actually, yes.

Well, okay. This was never mentioned before. I guess we could do it. But I don't like it, I feel like there's a decent chance for Joseph to hit scum. Acting like it's certain that Joseph will kill townies is ridiculous.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: March 23, 2015, 01:21:25 am »

"feeling" like he's going to hit scum means basically nothing. The numbers don't lie.

And plus he claims to have targeted XP N1, which is awful.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: March 23, 2015, 01:24:53 am »

uh, well, yeah. I at least thought you're making perfect sense in this argument.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: March 23, 2015, 01:27:58 am »

"feeling" like he's going to hit scum means basically nothing. The numbers don't lie.

And plus he claims to have targeted XP N1, which is awful.

So awful that he must be town
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 92  All

Page created in 0.724 seconds with 20 queries.