Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Two Chapels? Yes please!  (Read 1861 times)

svenisntb

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Two Chapels? Yes please!
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:54:28 pm »
+3

Viewer: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150124/log.5483b0c4e4b018d7e0009e87.1422141033409.txt
Log: http://archive-dominionlogs.goko.com/20150124/log.5483b0c4e4b018d7e0009e87.1422141033409.txt

Kingdom:

Code: [Select]
Transmute, Chapel, Shanty Town, Spy, Throne Room, Cultist, Inn, Market, Merchant Ship, Treasury
"If you buy a second Chapel, you've done something wrong" - They

Through a combination of drawing Chapel dead and Cultists slinging ruins at an alarming rate my deck is bloated and horrible around turn 8, so I buy a second Chapel. They always say don't, but in this case I think it was well worth it. An example of the general rule of thumb not holding true in a specific instance.

The factors that made it worth it here in my opinion were:
1. The presence of a strong engine (TR, Merchant Ship, Market)
2. Relatively weak draw

For the engine to work and be awesome I needed to get thin, but once it got going I was hitting $18, $20 reliably. He got a couple of Provinces ahead, but had no ability to end the game. So I was able to storm back and win comfortably.

Thoughts?
I learned everything I know watching Wandering Winder on Youtube. This is not a joke.

Juice2403

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Re: Two Chapels? Yes please!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 02:20:21 pm »
+1

How did you add the Kingdom with the pictures like that? I would like to do that when I show kingdoms as well.
I (WORK HARD) for what I want!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:15:21 pm »

How did you add the Kingdom with the pictures like that? I would like to do that when I show kingdoms as well.

http://gokosalvager.com/kingdomvisualize
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Juice2403

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:41:04 pm »
+1

http://gokosalvager.com/kingdomvisualize

Thank you sir.
I (WORK HARD) for what I want!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 08:48:02 pm »
+5

When people say that buying a second chapel means something has gone wrong, they don't mean that the act of buying the second chapel was the incorrect play. In fact, if your turn produces only $2 and you have to choose between chapel and nothing, chapel is quite often the right choice. The thing is, something must have gone wrong for that position to come up in the first place. Sometimes it's just bad luck, but often you made a poor choice earlier along.

Here it's pretty clear where you went wrong. You had no economy. When you get to open chapel + cultist, you have to do so, but you have to be aware that ntheater of those cards gains or produces coins, so you have to address this in your subsequent buys. Turn 3/4 you need silver. Then you can buy cultist turn 5 and shanty town turn 6 and you're on your way to your draw engine which can reliably draw and trash junk, and you can get better use of your 1st (and hopefully only) chapel.

svenisntb

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 08:42:28 pm »

Good point, I was just thinking maximum cycling and cultist plays, but picking up an early silver (or 2?) would have helped me buy more cultists and helped me ramp up more quickly to the engine I had in mind. Turn 9 I had only 5 coppers in my deck for economy, and it took a few turns longer once I had thinned to really get rolling because of the lack of cash.
I learned everything I know watching Wandering Winder on Youtube. This is not a joke.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.678 seconds with 18 queries.