Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion fan card III: Unnamed endless duration card  (Read 5076 times)

Halvard

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Dominion fan card III: Unnamed endless duration card
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:14:59 am »

Name: Unnamed
Type: ACTION - DURATION
Cost: 5
Card text:
-1 Coin
At the start of each of your turns, choose one: +1 Action; +1 Card; +1 Buy; +1 Coin

(by Coin here I mean the equivalent money value of a Copper, but I don't know how to type in the coin symbol around the 1 (or -1))

This card, once it is played it stays out.  Then, before playing any cards from your hand, you are first deducted 1 Coin before choosing one of the four options.

We have not play tested this card very much.  It is a very strong card and probably under priced.  Maybe it could still be worth it at 6 or even 7.  An alternative is to have it at -2 Coins and with no choice of + Coins.

It does extremely well together with any kind of engine you'd like to build.  To be able to choose +1 Action or +1 Buy just makes wonders.

What do you guys think?  The idea of minus Coins is quite simple.  Probably someone have thought of it before, but I find it an intriguing choice to have to make.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Dominion fan card III: Unnamed endless duration card
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 02:27:45 am »
+3

What if I have -1 coins in my buy phase? Could I buy a Copper?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Halvard

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 02:30:06 am »

If you have -1 Coin in your buy phase you could not even buy a Copper.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 02:38:16 am »
+3

In general, when we want to talk about coins on this site, we just use $.

Woodcutter
+1 buy
+$2
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Halvard

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:41:08 am »

In general, when we want to talk about coins on this site, we just use $.

Woodcutter
+1 buy
+$2

Thanks, will do :)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 02:42:03 am »
+1

The wording doesn't  do what you want... There's no reason from the wording to think that you would get -$1 every turn; it looks like it's only the turn that you play it.

Anyway, it looks incredibly strong. Probably a $7, if it can work. The -$1 isn't enough of a penalty to allow you to start with a 6 card hand every turn, and that's if you could only choose +1 card. On top of that you have the amazing flexibility of taking an action whenever you drew 2 terminals, or just taking a buy if you have a great engine that has no buys otherwise.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Halvard

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 06:04:59 am »

The wording doesn't  do what you want... There's no reason from the wording to think that you would get -$1 every turn; it looks like it's only the turn that you play it.

Anyway, it looks incredibly strong. Probably a $7, if it can work. The -$1 isn't enough of a penalty to allow you to start with a 6 card hand every turn, and that's if you could only choose +1 card. On top of that you have the amazing flexibility of taking an action whenever you drew 2 terminals, or just taking a buy if you have a great engine that has no buys otherwise.

I will try to play test it at $7 on our next game night.  It is indeed very strong. 

How would you word it so that you understand that you get -$1 every turn?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:07:37 am »
+3

At the start of each of your turns: -$1, then choose one: +1 Action; +1 Card; +1 Buy; +1 Coin
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Halvard

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 06:16:18 am »

At the start of each of your turns: -$1, then choose one: +1 Action; +1 Card; +1 Buy; +1 Coin

I agree, it sounds more correct.  Would that then imply that you do not get this effect the round you actually play the card from your hand?

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 10:51:21 am »
+2

Donald has had "endless duration" cards as well, but they turned into self-topdeckers like Treasury and Alchemist.

Treasury: [...] eventually settling on a card that you can have every turn if you want, which had been something I'd been meaning to get into the set but hadn't. Instead of sitting in play, it replaces itself (+1 Card +1 Action) and goes back on top of your deck each turn. The "but not if you bought a Victory card" clause keeps it more interesting and fairer. I had a version that you trashed when you bought a Victory card, but it was fine to let you keep it.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=117.0
Alchemist: [...] I tried a card that just increased your hand size for the rest of the game, but that would have required a playmat, and the set couldn't have any. This is the next best thing, and more interesting due to the Potion requirement. [...]
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=118.0

So if it doesn't hurt the idea, you could do something like this:

Cost: $5

+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Action; +1 Card; +1 Buy; +1 Coin

This would give you the option not to pay the extra $1 which means you don't get the benefit until you draw it again.

I think the options are too many. You should not have automatically everything in the kingdom (Village, Draw, Buy), this would lead to less interesting games because you can do anything you want. You should exclude at least one of the options. (I would cancel +1 Card because it is so strong.)

Edit: Rereading the Secret History of Alchemist, maybe there will actually be "endless durations" in the new Adventures expansion since there are going to be player mats...?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:04:23 am by market squire »

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 11:12:21 am »
+3

+1 Card
+1 Action

This is strictly better than Lab.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 11:22:50 am »
+1

I agree, it sounds more correct.  Would that then imply that you do not get this effect the round you actually play the card from your hand?

Yes. You could say "Now and at the start of each of your turns" if you wanted to have the effect the round you actually play the card.

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 11:27:57 am »
+1

+1 Card
+1 Action

This is strictly better than Lab.

Well, not if you cancel the +1 Card option, as I suggested. This was just an exact rework of the card in the OP.

Halvard

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 02:28:05 am »

After a local discussion of your suggestions, I think we will try to play test it with this next time:

Cost: $7
Card text:
At the start of each of your turns: -$1, then choose one: +1 Action; +1 Card; +1 Buy; +1$

Card text:
At the start of each of your turns: -$1, then choose one: +1 Action; +1 Buy; +1$

Then I will see what plays out best.

By the way, the reason I set the card as unnamed was because I originally made personalised cards with pictures of the players in our local group.  So there would be a card called Halvard with a picture of me.  Great fun :)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 06:09:03 pm »
+1

Personally, i would not allow the card to give you a negative coin total. Even Poor House, which may give you negative coins on its own, can't make your turn's total negative. And why should it? Usually you don't want to buy stuff for $0, anyhow. Of course there are cases (Fairgrounds, Gardens, cost reducers, Goons...), but introducing new rules just to close some harmless edge case (that could just as well be considered a feature) seems like overdoing it. To me, at least.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.725 seconds with 21 queries.