Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: If you had to remove 5 or 10 cards from variable setup  (Read 2251 times)

couch

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
If you had to remove 5 or 10 cards from variable setup
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:28:42 pm »
+1

Hey all,

I am considering pulling 5 to 10 action card sets from rotation for IRL play.  I understand the thoughts towards why you would not want to do this, but it is being considered anyways.  What are your opinions on which cards to remove?  Should we focus on what are considered the least popular/powerful cards (Scout/Theif/etc)?  Or should we focus on the most fiddly cards (Golem/Rebuild)?  Please post opinions on which 5 to remove, and which would be the next 5 after that!  Thanks!

Not certain if this should be here in the Variants section or in General, but I made a choice and ran with it.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: If you had to remove 5 or 10 cards from variable setup
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:45:20 pm »
+6

Province, Dutchy, Estate, Gardens, Silver

Victory cards just get in teh way of massive combos letting you draw and play all your cards per turn
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:46:27 pm »
+2

I think, if your playing group is considering removing cards, you don't need to get rid of a certain specific amount.  You guys are playing however you want, just take out whatever cards you all agree on.  Once you've broken away from "vanilla" dominion, you don't need to follow any rules.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 07:10:40 pm »
+1

a couple suggestions:

- Scrying Pool and Philosopher's stone are especially fiddly to play with IRL, so those might be good ones to remove.
- Cards that change the game too much or too little might also be good ones to remove:
(Too much: rebuild, black market...  Too little: adventurer, scout... -both have better versions of the same idea in other cards).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:13:42 pm »
+4

I wouldn't remove any cards myself, but if you have to remove cards for whatever reason, then I would remove cards that nobody likes and cards that rarely affect the game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 05:29:19 pm »
+1

For IRL play, why use a blacklist over a whitelist?  Why don't you and your friends each pick your favorite cards and throw those in?  (~200 cards, group of 4, maybe each person puts 20 cards into the pool?)
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 08:07:27 pm »
+4

We chose our game like this: The first player draws a card, and the he alone decides whether it's in. Then the next player does the same, and so on, until 10 are out. This way, you can veto cards you hate, without a single person dictating the kingdom. My bf always vetoes Saboteur, i always veto Rebuild. Other cards really depend on mood, for example we are much less likely to have harsh attacks when we are four or more players, just because they make the game last forever. I guess my flop 5 would be Rebuild, Saboteur, Scout, Spy and Scrying Pool. Obviously the balance shifts for less players. At our sessions, Thief is actually decent, and doesn't really need to get vetoed.

Edit: While it's probably obvious, neither of those five is out because they were harsh attacks(Saboteur kind of is). They are just slow and/or unsatisfying to play with.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:10:27 pm by Asper »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 05:15:09 pm »
+5

Chairs has a baby.  Immediately afterward, a new member joins, named "couch".  Coincidence?  I think not!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 06:09:15 pm »
+3

Chairs has a baby.  Immediately afterward, a new member joins, named "couch".  Coincidence?  I think not!

We already decided that Chairs' kid is named Stools.  Couch, namesake being of chair-size or larger, is obviously an older brother, cousin, or uncle.  (Unless Couch is a female, and then the sister/aunt.)

couch

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 04:10:48 pm »

Lol @ WW.  I am (unfortunately?) unrelated, but have used this nickname since I first discovered online gaming in 96.

Thanks for the replies folks!  Some good suggestions to consider.  8)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.