Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2303236 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #5700 on: July 04, 2016, 08:00:56 am »
+15

Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: July 04, 2016, 06:41:05 pm »

Ok, sorry.  This is like three iterations of each person not understanding the one before at this point.  That's a little too meta for me.

I don't know what you mean by this...

He's not talking about the mean case, but rather this outlier situation of so many people misunderstanding meta stuff.

I think what you don't understand is that he was riffing on the situation as a joke.

We have entered an infinite recursion of just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was...

Huh?  ???
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: July 04, 2016, 09:25:34 pm »
+2

Ok, sorry.  This is like three iterations of each person not understanding the one before at this point.  That's a little too meta for me.

He's not talking about the mean case, but rather this outlier situation of so many people misunderstanding meta stuff.

I think what you don't understand is that he was riffing on the situation as a joke.

We have entered an infinite recursion of just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was just pretending to not understand that the previous poster was...

Huh?  ???

Lose track rule.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: July 05, 2016, 12:12:29 am »
+2

Huh?  ???

Lose track rule.

Henceforth, the lose-track rule shall be referred to instead as the c-c-c-combo breaker rule.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: July 05, 2016, 02:14:52 pm »
+15

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: July 05, 2016, 02:15:35 pm »

"Nobody likes fairs anyway"

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: July 05, 2016, 02:20:11 pm »

It's like a whole Cornucopia Sucks parade.  This might've been an even better choice, but somehow the negative VP puts a more negative spin on it.  If you play with both, then holy cow.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: July 05, 2016, 02:24:06 pm »

Wow, I hadn't seen that card before.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: July 05, 2016, 02:30:12 pm »
+1

This is probably dumb, but it's not clear to me from the wording what happens if you have, say, 10 A, 10 B, 9 C, where A, B, and C are all Action cards.  Presumably the 'tie' refers to tie for 2nd, so it sounds like A and B would not count.

Edit: Come to think of it, it's not clear to me what happens when you have a deck consisting only of 10 A, 10 B, where A and B are both Actions.  Are the both the first and second most common Action, or only the first?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 02:32:07 pm by Witherweaver »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: July 05, 2016, 02:34:42 pm »
+7

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: July 05, 2016, 02:38:02 pm »
+1

This is probably dumb, but it's not clear to me from the wording what happens if you have, say, 10 A, 10 B, 9 C, where A, B, and C are all Action cards.  Presumably the 'tie' refers to tie for 2nd, so it sounds like A and B would not count.

Edit: Come to think of it, it's not clear to me what happens when you have a deck consisting only of 10 A, 10 B, where A and B are both Actions.  Are the both the first and second most common Action, or only the first?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1593321/triumphal-arch-question

30 VP in either case.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: July 05, 2016, 02:40:02 pm »
+2

No, "tie" refers to tie in general, not only tie for second. Put it this way... list out all card names in your deck in order of most to least. When there's a tie, put whichever one first; makes no difference. Now look at the second card on the list. That's the one you count.

So If you have 10 A, 10 B, and 9 C; you get 30 points. If you have 10 A and 10 B, you get 30 points. If you have 10 A and nothing else, you get 0 points.

One last way of thinking about it; you can't ever lower your Arch score by gaining any given card. So if you have 10 A, 9 B, and 8 C of cards, buying a single B isn't going to change your C from being third-most to second-most.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 02:42:46 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: July 05, 2016, 02:52:22 pm »

No, "tie" refers to tie in general, not only tie for second. Put it this way... list out all card names in your deck in order of most to least. When there's a tie, put whichever one first; makes no difference. Now look at the second card on the list. That's the one you count.

So If you have 10 A, 10 B, and 9 C; you get 30 points. If you have 10 A and 10 B, you get 30 points. If you have 10 A and nothing else, you get 0 points.

One last way of thinking about it; you can't ever lower your Arch score by gaining any given card. So if you have 10 A, 9 B, and 8 C of cards, buying a single B isn't going to change your C from being third-most to second-most.

"It" refers to "second most".  In the Olympics, if A and B have the same long jump, then C, D, and E can tie for Bronze, meaning there is no tie for Silver, and there is no Silver.  If A > B = C > D, then there are two Silver medals and there is no Bronze.  You could also argue in the first case that C, D, and E tied for second.

In this context, though, either of these would be really stupid, because Triumphal Arch should never punish you for gaining more copies of a card.  Going from n to n+1 copies of B shouldn't penalize you into settling for either 0 or however many copies of C/D/E you have.  In my mind, the wording is ambiguous, but among logically sound readings, only one of them is monotonically increasing and therefore satisfactory.

Then again, I don't think Storyteller should ever play a Treasure as a Throne Room, so I don't trust my intuitions about design to be followed anymore.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 02:56:03 pm by Minotaur »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: July 05, 2016, 02:58:07 pm »

"It" refers to "second most".  In the Olympics, if A and B have the same long jump, then C, D, and E can tie for Bronze, meaning there is no tie for Silver, and there is no Silver.  If A > B = C > D, then there are two Silver medals and there is no Bronze.  You could also argue in the first case that C, D, and E tied for second.

In this context, though, either of these would be really stupid, because Triumphal Arch should should never punish you for gaining more copies of a card.  Going from n to n+1 copies of B shouldn't penalize you into settling for either 0 or however many copies of C/D/E you have.  In my mind, the wording is ambiguous, but among logically sound readings, only one of them is monotonically increasing and therefore satisfactory.

Right. There are a couple games which do ties differently, but usually, if there are 2 players who did better than you then you are third, whether those 2 players are the same as each other or not. Between 2 Cities does it the other way; if there is a tie for most factories, then those cities are both "first", and the next highest city gets second. But that's not a very common way of doing ties.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: July 05, 2016, 03:04:23 pm »

In this context, though, either of these would be really stupid, because Triumphal Arch should should never punish you for gaining more copies of a card.  Going from n to n+1 copies of B shouldn't penalize you into settling for either 0 or however many copies of C/D/E you have.  In my mind, the wording is ambiguous, but among logically sound readings, only one of them is monotonically increasing and therefore satisfactory.

Right. There are a couple games which do ties differently, but usually, if there are 2 players who did better than you then you are third, whether those 2 players are the same as each other or not. Between 2 Cities does it the other way; if there is a tie for most factories, then those cities are both "first", and the next highest city gets second. But that's not a very common way of doing ties.

Neither of them is what TA does, but it's not a medal ceremony.  They both work for what they do for different reasons.  Here, it's more like, "list your differently-named action cards you have in decreasing order of how many copies you have of each, resolving ties however you choose.  Gain 3VP for each copy you have of the second card on your list."

This would presumably be how Golden Arches would work if it granted, say, 4VP for each copy of your 3rd-most-common Action.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #5715 on: July 05, 2016, 06:49:58 pm »
+21

I proudly present: Out-of-context Advisor

Too lazy to edit watermarks.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: July 06, 2016, 10:14:55 am »
+7

If there's a mosquito on your face, can I smack it?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: July 06, 2016, 01:52:42 pm »

(Image)

It's like a whole Cornucopia Sucks parade.  This might've been an even better choice, but somehow the negative VP puts a more negative spin on it.  If you play with both, then holy cow.

Orchard and Collonade are also pushing the "Cornucopia sucks" idea.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: July 06, 2016, 02:13:02 pm »
+2

As a Cornucopia-addict, I find this to be insulting. Please delete it immediately.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: July 06, 2016, 02:53:37 pm »

As a Cornucopia-addict, I find this to be insulting. Please delete it immediately.

If you can't even show solidarity with gardeners, then you'll never get a movement going.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: July 06, 2016, 07:28:47 pm »
+5

See the ring?  That's Houghton Lake, MI.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: July 12, 2016, 07:51:15 am »
+2

This came up in RBCI, but this is a meme that speaks for itself:

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: July 12, 2016, 07:54:35 am »

This came up in RBCI, but this is a meme that speaks for itself:

What movie is that from? I have deja vu
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: July 12, 2016, 07:59:53 am »
+1

Jurassic Park.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: July 12, 2016, 09:05:55 am »

Jurassic Park.
That explains it, just rewatched that with my dad a few weeks ago.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 259  All

Page created in 1.041 seconds with 20 queries.