Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Revised versions of published cards for people who play all random  (Read 16716 times)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Re: Revised versions of published cards for people who play all random
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 09:32:31 am »

How about, "Return it to the Supply. If you did, gain..."

That neuters it even more with Shelters, and prevents gaining all the Estates and Silk Roads with OE.  I don't really think killing the Feodum interaction is a big deal when trying to weaken a card that dominates too many boards, but I know you are trying to limit the scope of the changes here.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 10:33:11 am »

Is there a text version? My iPod wont load any of the images in the OP.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 11:34:03 am »
+1

Is there a text version? My iPod wont load any of the images in the OP.

There wasn't, but sure, I'll make one

Adventurer - Action - 6$
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 3 Treasure cards. Put those Treasure cards into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.

Rebuild - Action - 5$
+1 Action
Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Victory card that is not the named card. Discard the other cards. Return the Victory card to the Supply and gain a Victory card costing up to 3$ more than it.

Scout - Action - 4$
+1 Action
+1$
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Victory cards into your hand. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.

Scrying Pool - Action - 2P$
+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one that is not an Action. Put all revealed cards into your hand.

Transmute - Action - P$
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand.
If it is an...
Action card, gain a Duchy.
Treasure card, gain a Transmute.
Victory card, gain a Gold.

Transmute - Action - P$
Trash a card from your hand.
If it is an...
Action card, gain a Duchy.
Treasure card, gain a Transmute.
Victory card, gain a Gold.
---
When you buy this, +1 Buy.

Talisman - Treasure - 4$
Worth 1$
---
While this is in play, when you buy a card costing 4$ or less, gain a copy of it.

Harvest - Action - 5$
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck, put one back and discard the rest. +1$ per differently named card discarded.

also added to the OP

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 12:41:01 pm »

Thanks spawn! :)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 04:07:31 pm »
+1

Why is the revised Harvest "+$1 per differently named card discarded", and not "+$1 per differently named card revealed"? The reward for revealing 4 uniques should be higher than revealing 3 uniques and a copy. It is, somewhat, with the "discard" wording (since you can put your best card back instead of the duplicate and still get the maximum $3), but flavour-wise it'd be better to give +$1 per unique.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:10:09 pm by NoMoreFun »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »

that's a transcription fail. Of course it's revealed not discarded.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 08:27:16 pm »

Re: Adventurer: why not just make it cost $5?  That's what I did for when I play.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 04:28:49 am »

Re: Adventurer: why not just make it cost $5?  That's what I did for when I play.
Because I think it'd be a horrible card at 5$, maybe the weakest 5$ in the game.

also, why "not just". it's not like changing "2" into "3" is a big change in terms of what it does.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:29:54 am by silverspawn »

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 12:18:27 am »

Cultist: Same except the attack is "If this is the first time you played a Cultist this turn, each other player gains a Ruins." (I think this version is still strong but doesn't flat-out dominate nearly as many random boards)
I always preferred the simpler:
Cultist
Cost: $5
Types: Action, Attack, Looter
+2 Cards. You may play a Cultist from your hand. If you don't, each other player gains a Ruins.
When you trash this, +3 Cards.
It is also better that you can deliver several ruins a turn if you have the actions.
Yeah I do like that version.  The attack is a little stronger than my version, but still toned down enough imo (obviously I think the original is too much). 

Minion: Same effects for you, but opponents choose and discard down to 4. (no more randomly turning the opponent's good hands dead, or their dead hands good)
I understand the intention, but "discard down to 4" is such a weak attack, and it's even weaker in Minion games, that I don't think it has any business even being there. So, if anything I'd cut the attack. Which would make the card significantly weaker, but that might not be a bad thing. Hm...
The current Minion attack can be weaker than "discard down to 4," because it reduces your hand to 4 cards but also cycles you, and often cycling is good.  But really it's just very swingy and better or worse than "discard down to 4" on a case-by-case basis.  If you wanted a stronger attack, I'd even prefer "discard down to 3" over the original. 

Removing the attack entirely would be fine too imo... I honestly can't think of a time when I bought Minion for the attack.  I see Minion a lot like Scrying Pool, it's a money/draw card that happens to have an attack on it.  Only Minion's attack is a lot more annoying than Scrying Pool's. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 12:43:25 am »
+1

The current Minion attack can be weaker than "discard down to 4," because it reduces your hand to 4 cards but also cycles you, and often cycling is good.  But really it's just very swingy and better or worse than "discard down to 4" on a case-by-case basis.  If you wanted a stronger attack, I'd even prefer "discard down to 3" over the original. 

Removing the attack entirely would be fine too imo... I honestly can't think of a time when I bought Minion for the attack.  I see Minion a lot like Scrying Pool, it's a money/draw card that happens to have an attack on it.  Only Minion's attack is a lot more annoying than Scrying Pool's.

It can be weaker, but on average, it is a lot stronger; the best 4 out of 5 cards are usually almost as good as just 5 cards because the odds of having a village and a +cards in the remaining 4 is as big as having them in the original 5. 4 random cards is a lot worse than 5 random cards, though.

Also, you will never buy Minion for the attack, but oftentimes you will ignore stuff such as Scheme because of it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 09:06:10 am »
+2

I think the Attack on Minion is quite significant.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 09:19:18 am »
+1

It can be weaker, but on average, it is a lot stronger; the best 4 out of 5 cards are usually almost as good as just 5 cards because the odds of having a village and a +cards in the remaining 4 is as big as having them in the original 5. 4 random cards is a lot worse than 5 random cards, though.

Also, you will never buy Minion for the attack, but oftentimes you will ignore stuff such as Scheme because of it.
I think if Minion didn't have the attack, I would still buy it in the same situations I do now, and the cards you ignore because of the attack are few enough to call that an edge case imo (Scheme, Alchemist, Treasury, can't think of many more).  It would still be good in the same engines without the attack, but if it must have an attack then I think even discard-to-3 would be a good change. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 09:43:28 am »

I think if Minion didn't have the attack, I would still buy it in the same situations I do now, and the cards you ignore because of the attack are few enough to call that an edge case imo (Scheme, Alchemist, Treasury, can't think of many more).  It would still be good in the same engines without the attack, but if it must have an attack then I think even discard-to-3 would be a good change.

In the same decks, but not against the same decks. Engines, slogs and rushes don't usually care about a Militia too much, but a Minion hurts them significantly, while Militia is stronger against BM than Minion.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 09:49:44 am »

In the same decks, but not against the same decks. Engines, slogs and rushes don't usually care about a Militia too much, but a Minion hurts them significantly, while Militia is stronger against BM than Minion.

I think "engines" is a too wide category here. Engines without cards, or engines without +3 cards (and no KC) can suffer from any discard, and will likely suffer from Militia more than from Minion (usually the only way to make an engine work without decent +cards is with good trashing or good sifting and it both cases, having a good starting handsize is important). For instance, you can have an engine solely on Hamlet/Steward/Bridge that just tries to play lots of bridges, and Militia hurts it way more than Minion (both before and after trashing your junk).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 09:56:22 am »

Engines without cards
Like, the kind of deck you end up with after being on the receiving end of a Masquerade pin?

But yeah, you're right. The point was mostly that the attacks are different, and good against different things.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:58:05 am by Awaclus »

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2014, 10:50:04 am »

Minions attack is annoying in the same way Possession is annoying, which could also extend to Tribute in some cases. But it's only annoying once, unless someone manages a Minion/Council Room thing.

Edit: or Governor. Okay so further thought, Governor/Minion would piss me off.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:53:29 am by enfynet »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2014, 10:56:28 am »

Minions attack is annoying in the same way Possession is annoying, which could also extend to Tribute in some cases. But it's only annoying once, unless someone manages a Minion/Council Room thing.

I wouldn't go that far. Possession has that aspect, but it's also annoying in countless other ways.

I don't think Minion should have another attack. Discarding down to X is awkward. It doesn't feel right. I think it's either leaving it as is or cutting the attack entirely. Soulnet got a point about strategic importance of the attack, but it might not be worth the frustration/swinginess.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 10:59:24 am »
+1

I wouldn't go that far. Possession has that aspect, but it's also annoying in countless other ways.

I don't think Minion should have another attack. Discarding down to X is awkward. It doesn't feel right. I think it's either leaving it as is or cutting the attack entirely. Soulnet got a point about strategic importance of the attack, but it might not be worth the frustration/swinginess.

I think CR/Governor into Minion is actually worth having, because it adds strategic and tactical depth. You need to discard your own drawn cards in order for the opponents to discard their drawn cards, so you need to add disappearing cards to your deck for it to make sense, and also watch shuffles.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 06:04:56 pm »
+1

Minion without the attack:

Doesn't he look super simple now?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 06:22:35 pm »
+1

Minion without the attack:

Doesn't he look super simple now?

It should say, "…discard your hand and +4 Cards." The comma is a holdover from when there were three effects. Now there are only two.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2014, 06:52:00 pm »
+1

middle ground Minion:

Minion - Action - 5$
Choose one: 2$; or discard your hand, +4 cards, and each other player with at least five cards in hand discards three cards and draws two.

And there'd still be an interesting interaction playing Council Room - Minion.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2014, 07:00:44 pm »
+2

I like the minion attack. I never get too frustrated when I discard a good hand for a bad one. It's a good type of thing to have in the game and can lead to some interesting strategic scenarios. If encourages tracking your opponent's deck, for one.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2014, 07:03:15 pm »

middle ground Minion:

Minion - Action - 5$
Choose one: 2$; or discard your hand, +4 cards, and each other player with at least five cards in hand discards three cards and draws two.

a LF upvote? do you think this is a good idea? becuase it doesn't to me (no offense  :P). discard 3 cards and draw 2, that's like, transform one of their bad cards into a cellar, play it for them, let them choose their worst 2 cards. I'd guess that it helps them at least 4 out of 5 times. And it's an attack, it should probably not help them on average.

plus, this version is so simple. why even add an attack? the interaction with governor is cute and all, but it doesn't happen that often.

I like the minion attack. I never get too frustrated when I discard a good hand for a bad one. It's a good type of thing to have in the game and can lead to some interesting strategic scenarios. If encourages tracking your opponent's deck, for one.

I can absolutely see why people would like this attack. it's far less clear cut than scrying pool or adventurer. but some people dislike it, and replacing it is optional, so, doesn't hurt.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2014, 03:50:09 pm »
+1

middle ground Minion:

Minion - Action - 5$

a LF upvote? do you think this is a good idea? becuase it doesn't to me (no offense  :P). discard 3 cards and draw 2, that's like, transform one of their bad cards into a cellar, play it for them, let them choose their worst 2 cards. I'd guess that it helps them at least 4 out of 5 times. And it's an attack, it should probably not help them on average.

plus, this version is so simple. why even add an attack? the interaction with governor is cute and all, but it doesn't happen that often.

I can absolutely see why people would like this attack. it's far less clear cut than scrying pool or adventurer. but some people dislike it, and replacing it is optional, so, doesn't hurt.

Uh, yes. In retrospect, LirbraryAdventurer's suggestion would probably not work out. But I like the idea and his thought process, so my +1 stands. But your (silverspawn's) version also deserves a +1, which I have now given it.

If Minion needed to still be an Attack, I'd probably suggest discarding a random card from each target's hand. Probably the attacker would pull them Robber-from-Settlers-style. It's still swingy, but probably not nearly as swingy as losing your whole hand. Of course, both this version and LibraryAdventurer's version lose that symmetry that Minion-as-printed has. For that reason, I think non-Attack Minion is probably best. It's so sleek. Probably I would add back the third option, though (trash this and gain 2 Estates).
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 2.431 seconds with 20 queries.