Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Defector (kind of a conspirator variant)  (Read 1753 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
Defector (kind of a conspirator variant)
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:09:46 am »

A strong card that could defect to the next player if you don't play enough actions that turn.
Defector
$5 - Action
+1 card, +1 action, +$2.
-
At the start of your clean-up phase, the player to your left can gain this from you at the cost of discarding treasures worth $1 per action card you have in play (not including defectors). If he does, that player puts this on top of his deck.

It originally said 'not including this' instead of 'not including defectors', but I thought that might be overpowered. Still could be very powerful on boards where it's easy to play several actions every turn.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
Re: Defector (kind of a conspirator variant)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:29:56 am »
+2

The first problem I'm noticing is the fact that treasures don't always have a set value; tracking their value while not in play doesn't really work.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:20:04 am »

you could just limit it to coppers without really changing the effect most of the time.

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 08:58:41 am »
+1

It is an interesting mechanic, although seating might be a bit too important. You don't want to sit next to the Engine player.

Instead of making it a "Hot Potato", you could just make kind of an Auction (going in turn order):
each other player can gain this from you

On the Treasure worth problem, you could just let them discard any card. Cards on the starting hand of the turn are very valuable.
Each other player may discard as may cards from his hand as you have Actions in play. If he does, pass this to him.
Alternatively, you could go with "Treasure cards" (as they were worth $1 each, like for Plaza).

It originally said 'not including this' instead of 'not including defectors', but I thought that might be overpowered. Still could be very powerful on boards where it's easy to play several actions every turn.
This leads to a problem that if you don't play other Actions than Defector, it is impossible for them to gain it. So this would open up a mono strategy. On the other hand, you need other Actions to make (especially +Buys) to make them effective.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:48:03 am »

What happens if you play 3 of these? Do all 3 get passed?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 04:41:16 pm »

Each defector you play would be bought (by discarding) by the next player separately. And if you played no other action cards that turn, then the next player could take any defectors you played for free.
I thought it would be clear enough.

If it isn't too wordy, I could add a clause that says "Treasures worth $? are worth $3 (or $2) for this purpose."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.376 seconds with 21 queries.