Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ignoring Cultist FTW  (Read 2445 times)

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
ignoring Cultist FTW
« on: September 12, 2014, 12:59:39 pm »
+2

Here is an interesting kingdom I played a few days ago:

Code: [Select]
Beggar, Haven, Vagrant, Urchin, Woodcutter, Feodum, Procession, Cultist, Journeyman, Library
I opened double Urchin and got Mercenary on turn 3 so I probably win regardless. Still ignoring Cultist in favor of Beggar/Feodum lead to a blowout.

Log: http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140910/log.53be12a0e4b00ccce8075fbc.1410367741390.t

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: ignoring Cultist FTW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 01:20:37 pm »

Prettified log here: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140910/log.53be12a0e4b00ccce8075fbc.1410367741390.txt

Are you sure that just opening double Silver and going for a simple Cultist/big money wouldn't have been better? It junks your opponent's deck faster than he can trash with Mercenary, and Lab variants are great against discard attacks.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 02:11:28 pm »

The attacks here are interesting.  I don't like Urchin/Mercenary here as there is no engine potential and they also feed your opponent 2 Silvers whenever Beggar is in hand.  Same thing for Cultist.  Each play with Beggar in hand gives your opponent 2 Silvers.  With Feodum on the board I would be hesitant to gift my opponent Silvers.  Beggar becomes a much worth card in this set when not being able to gain Silver. 

So that imo makes this a BM board.  I don't think Feodum will beat Provinces in a say Journeyman/BM strategy.  I would actually ignore attacks here and if my opponent starts buying them go heavy into Beggars/Feodum.  Otherwise go Journeyman/BM.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:20:21 pm »

Are you sure that just opening double Silver and going for a simple Cultist/big money wouldn't have been better? It junks your opponent's deck faster than he can trash with Mercenary, and Lab variants are great against discard attacks.

No, I'm not sure what the best strategy is. If I go silver-silver, it's going to depend on how fast he gets a Mercenary. If  it is turn 3/4, he'll trash 2 cards on 5/6 while I give 1 ruin, then again on 7/8 while I give 2. If he doesn't  contest Cultist , I can probably start out out racing the trashing from there, bit with +2 from Mercenary it isn't hard to hit 5, so he'll probably contest and lose ruins only 3-7 or 4-6, have the only trasher, and stop some of my 5/6/8 hands from the discard attack.  That's a losing  proposition for me, I'd think. Now if he has trouble lining them up (after 5/6) I can win easily. If he gets the Mercenary on 5/6, I have a small edge only that could be overcome with good luck or  a second Mercenary.

In my experience trasher-Cultist often beats Cultist first.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 02:43:48 pm »

Ignore Mercenary.  Ignore Custist.  Buy Beggars (assuming your opponent bought those cards).  Gain Silver.  Buy Feodum.  Buy Duchy.  Win.

I haven't tested it, but my intuition is vouching the validity of my assumptions.  The reason you can take 10 ruins is that you don't need to buy a single Province to win.  With an attacking opponent it is very realistic to assume you can reveal and discard 10 Beggars for 20 Silver.  That in itself makes Feodum worth almost 7 points.  Your opponent can not win the Silver split.  Yes he could buy Feodum to Mercenary trash them, but assuming he spent some turns buying urchins, you could probably win the split at least 5/3.  End-game those Feodum combined with Duchies can easily win.  Especially when there is no engine to speak of to end the game.

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 03:49:28 pm »
+1

In my experience trasher-Cultist often beats Cultist first.
When you have villages, or when the trashing is really fast such as Chapel or Count, or when the trashing is non-terminal and you don't have to buy too many copies of it. If you go for Mercenary and Cultist on this board, you'll end up drawing the other dead very often.

Now that I think of it, Library/BM has got to beat everything here. It beats Ruins, it beats discard attacks, it doesn't enable Beggar/Feodum. Well, except it's still worse than Journeyman/BM, but it's not that much worse, and you can still get a Journeyman as your second +card if your opponent has gone Journeyman/BM.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:50:59 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 08:42:45 pm »

Ignore Mercenary.  Ignore Custist.  Buy Beggars (assuming your opponent bought those cards).  Gain Silver.  Buy Feodum.  Buy Duchy.  Win.

I haven't tested it, but my intuition is vouching the validity of my assumptions.  The reason you can take 10 ruins is that you don't need to buy a single Province to win.  With an attacking opponent it is very realistic to assume you can reveal and discard 10 Beggars for 20 Silver.  That in itself makes Feodum worth almost 7 points.  Your opponent can not win the Silver split.  Yes he could buy Feodum to Mercenary trash them, but assuming he spent some turns buying urchins, you could probably win the split at least 5/3.  End-game those Feodum combined with Duchies can easily win.  Especially when there is no engine to speak of to end the game.

You are probably right - open silver and then beggar if opp urchin, otherwise silver. 

Now that I think of it, Library/BM has got to beat everything here. It beats Ruins, it beats discard attacks, it doesn't enable Beggar/Feodum. Well, except it's still worse than Journeyman/BM, but it's not that much worse, and you can still get a Journeyman as your second +card if your opponent has gone Journeyman/BM.

I really doubt Journeyman/BM beats Cultist or Mercenary. They are only bad because of Feodum. Seems like this a board where you definitely have to adjust substantially to what your opponent does.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 04:34:44 am »

I really doubt Journeyman/BM beats Cultist or Mercenary.
It doesn't and that's why you buy Library as your +card until your opponent is confirmed to ignore both.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.541 seconds with 21 queries.