Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1225230 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #4925 on: July 12, 2015, 12:56:22 pm »

well if the average is really 100 (or lower), then a score of 81 shouldn't be that uncommon. why should you hide it?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: July 12, 2015, 01:09:22 pm »

Personally, I think that IQ tests can be useful, but they do have to be taken with a very large grain of salt. IIRC, IQ does tend to correlate quite strongly with a number of interesting measures - level of education attained, annual income etc. On top of that, most 'online IQ tests' are really not. Many have similarities to IQ tests, but aren't necessarily accurate. Most don't take into account your age, which a well conducted IQ test should do. And some are just awful, asking trivia questions and the like, which is just crazy.

They're far from perfect, however. They measure your ability in specific skills - things like pattern recognition, some stuff with language and reasoning etc. But a 45 minute test (or whatever) isn't going to give a perfect value for how intelligent you are, that's just not viable. Too many people take them too seriously, using their IQ as a bragging point or to try and denigrate others (I used to do this, as a kid ¬_¬), or else feel ashamed of their low I, when really they could have intelligence in other forms. Conversely many people write them off as worthless - until recently I did this as well, saying the only thing IQ tests are good for is measuring how good you are at IQ tests. Well, that's a bit extreme in the other direction. They do give a decent indication of intelligence, at least, even with their flaws.

Anyway, that's just my view on the topic.

The last time I took an IQ test was over a decade ago. My IQ was 30-something. I can't remember my exact score because I'm not very bright.

You're probably misremembering this. Like, somewhere around 70 IQ is the point you're classified as having learning difficulties, IIRC, and around 50 or below is considered pretty severe. An IQ of 30 would be pretty incredible, in a bad way.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: July 12, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »

Well, an IQ of 81 is more than 1 standard deviation from the mean, so it is on the lower end of the spectrum.

However, I decided to give it a try (at https://raven-online.com/en/ if you want to try it out yourself). Total shit.

Three of the questions didn't even display for me, so I had to answer blindly. And then at the end, I couldn't even see my result unless I was willing to shell out $3. I'm not shelling out money for an online IQ test, especially one that is technically flawed.

It was a decent test for measuring abstraction, though. A few of the questions at the end had some tricky patterns.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: July 12, 2015, 01:47:28 pm »

I took one of those stupid tests. Never have done it before. I got 139, but I feel that if there was a time limit involved, I would score lower. It takes more time for me to figure things out.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: July 12, 2015, 02:17:13 pm »
+2

using their IQ as a bragging point or to try and denigrate others (I used to do this, as a kid ¬_¬)

/raises hand

This was me too.  When my parents were trying to get me to start school early, I had to take the official Stanford Binet test.  Telling a five year old that his IQ is too high to be measured really fucks with his ego.

The last time I took an IQ test was over a decade ago. My IQ was 30-something. I can't remember my exact score because I'm not very bright.
You're probably misremembering this. Like, somewhere around 70 IQ is the point you're classified as having learning difficulties, IIRC, and around 50 or below is considered pretty severe. An IQ of 30 would be pretty incredible, in a bad way.

I'm pretty certain he was being sarcastic.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 02:20:12 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: July 12, 2015, 02:23:58 pm »
+12

Well the full story is: I took a Psychology 101 class in college. One day we learned that, at one time, it was believed that intelligence was correlated with visual acuity. Two days later, during the next session, the class took an IQ test. Through sheer coincidence, I had forgotten to bring my glasses to class that day, and the test questions were on an overhead projector. I could barely read them even while squinting. Result: I have a 30-something IQ.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: July 12, 2015, 02:33:02 pm »
+3

Well, an IQ of 81 is more than 1 standard deviation from the mean, so it is on the lower end of the spectrum.

However, I decided to give it a try (at https://raven-online.com/en/ if you want to try it out yourself). Total shit.

Three of the questions didn't even display for me, so I had to answer blindly. And then at the end, I couldn't even see my result unless I was willing to shell out $3. I'm not shelling out money for an online IQ test, especially one that is technically flawed.

It was a decent test for measuring abstraction, though. A few of the questions at the end had some tricky patterns.

I just spent 20 minutes of my life to answer every question of this test and then they ask me to pay them money for access to my results. I must have done really poorly if they believe i'd do that.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: July 12, 2015, 02:34:26 pm »

Does anyone else feel like they "grew into" their intelligence?
Like remembering myself as a kid 10-13ish range, I feel like I was way smarter relative to my age back then. But as I got older, I didn't really keep the same ratio I had as a kid.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: July 12, 2015, 02:52:42 pm »

Well the full story is: I took a Psychology 101 class in college. One day we learned that, at one time, it was believed that intelligence was correlated with visual acuity. Two days later, during the next session, the class took an IQ test. Through sheer coincidence, I had forgotten to bring my glasses to class that day, and the test questions were on an overhead projector. I could barely read them even while squinting. Result: I have a 30-something IQ.

I hope your psych professor used that as a shining example of the visual acuity thing after the test was over.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: July 12, 2015, 02:56:52 pm »
+5

(If timestamp doesn't work, skip to 4:15)

No knowledge of Age of Empires is needed to enjoy this.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: July 12, 2015, 05:38:22 pm »
+1

Not sure if joke or just a hilarious true story.
It's true (or at least was presented as true when I read it), as is this:

In a survey of Americans, 95% of those surveyed said they were of above average intelligence. My theory is, the other 5% just didn't understand the question.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: July 12, 2015, 05:42:27 pm »
+1

Like remembering myself as a kid 10-13ish range, I feel like I was way smarter relative to my age back then. But as I got older, I didn't really keep the same ratio I had as a kid.

Even more than that, I think I reached my intellectual peak at 16 and went all downhill since. Not just relatively.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: July 12, 2015, 09:30:46 pm »
+1

I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: July 12, 2015, 09:45:27 pm »

http://imgur.com/tlCvx79

It begins.

That's one idea that will never take off.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: July 12, 2015, 09:47:18 pm »
+10

The most likely explanation is changes in your peer group as you age. For people who go to college and higher levels of education, the average peer definitely becomes more intelligent the further into your education you get. People who are relative overachievers in middle school / high school place into schools where the average student is much smarter (or has been given the opportunity to excel in school, whatever measure you want to use) -- it probably affects everyone except for the very smartest of the smart. I know it definitely happened to me as well.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: July 12, 2015, 09:53:18 pm »

The most likely explanation is changes in your peer group as you age. For people who go to college and higher levels of education, the average peer definitely becomes more intelligent the further into your education you get. People who are relative overachievers in middle school / high school place into schools where the average student is much smarter (or has been given the opportunity to excel in school, whatever measure you want to use) -- it probably affects everyone except for the very smartest of the smart. I know it definitely happened to me as well.

This sounds about right. I've never experienced this myself, despite being in college now. But it sounds about right.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: July 12, 2015, 10:01:14 pm »
+2

This sounds about right. I've never experienced this myself, despite being in college now. But it sounds about right.

Well, congratulations on being the smartest of the smart, I suppose

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: July 12, 2015, 10:03:39 pm »
+1

I'm just anti-social like that, and I didn't even realize I was implicitly saying I was uber-smart in what I said. Wow, that was a really egotistical post. WOW. How did I not see that?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4943 on: July 12, 2015, 10:17:34 pm »
+3

I think some of it is also explained by the fact that as you get older, being more intelligent than other people will also become less and less apparent. When you're like 3 years old and you learn to read and write, it's pretty obvious that you're more intelligent than the other kids who are 3 years old who can't read and write yet. When you're 25 and you're better at Dominion than your friends, it doesn't feel like a big difference because your friends don't need the skill to play Dominion in their daily lives.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: July 12, 2015, 11:36:17 pm »

I'm just anti-social like that, and I didn't even realize I was implicitly saying I was uber-smart in what I said. Wow, that was a really egotistical post. WOW. How did I not see that?
Maybe you're not as smart as you (subconciously?) think you are.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: July 12, 2015, 11:42:29 pm »
+2

Maybe you're not as smart as you (subconciously?) think you are.

So basically, I post something which then subconsciously implies I think I'm super smart, which then proves itself wrong on the fact that I did not know of its existence. Welp, I'm studying for a film degree. Guess I know my first movie.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: July 13, 2015, 01:09:05 am »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: July 13, 2015, 03:13:10 am »
+2

It begins.

Is there some sort of context for this?

Hatoful Boyfriend is a parody of Japanese dating sims. Everything about the dating sim genre is played straight, except all the characters are pigeons and you're the only human.
It was released a while ago, I picked it up during the Steam sale for $2.50. I've run into some bugginess, but so far it's been worth at least the little I've paid for it.

Endings obtained so far:
- Brought about the end of the world (maybe) (it's complicated)
- Reunited two long lost lovebirds, literally
- Been assassinated by an extremist group

Your enjoyment is going to depend on how familiar you are with relationship conventions from VNs/anime/manga, but even if you aren't that familiar with those it's still wonderfully silly. It's a joke premise with real gameplay behind it, which makes it better than joke games which rely entirely on their gimmick and nothing else.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: July 13, 2015, 08:25:06 am »

It begins.

Is there some sort of context for this?

Hatoful Boyfriend is a parody of Japanese dating sims. Everything about the dating sim genre is played straight, except all the characters are pigeons and you're the only human.
It was released a while ago, I picked it up during the Steam sale for $2.50. I've run into some bugginess, but so far it's been worth at least the little I've paid for it.

Endings obtained so far:
- Brought about the end of the world (maybe) (it's complicated)
- Reunited two long lost lovebirds, literally
- Been assassinated by an extremist group

Your enjoyment is going to depend on how familiar you are with relationship conventions from VNs/anime/manga, but even if you aren't that familiar with those it's still wonderfully silly. It's a joke premise with real gameplay behind it, which makes it better than joke games which rely entirely on their gimmick and nothing else.

So, better than Goat Simulator, which tons of people have paid actual money for, for no conceivable reason.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: July 13, 2015, 10:37:10 am »

So yeah, that IQ test I was talking about is definite bullshit. Another friend posted her IQ of 0 (Top 100%!). She was just messing around with it and didn't realize that it posted her result on FB. Now when I took it, it did ask me for permission to post. I gave it permission to post only to me. It didn't show at first, but I finally found it. I wonder what my "IQ" would have been if I could have answered those three questions appropriately.

I'm a little curious about what the $3 would get you. After all, it published my score. I should have looked more carefully at the sample report. But it doesn't matter. I'm not paying $3 to an online test result that does nothing for me.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 230  All

Page created in 2.378 seconds with 20 queries.