Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Interesting Kingdom -- how do I play it  (Read 1170 times)

karroje

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Interesting Kingdom -- how do I play it
« on: July 04, 2014, 11:48:18 am »

I was out of my depth on this one:

Beggar
Squire
Vagrant
Wishing Well
Coppersmith
Remake
Trader
Duke
Library
Bank
(Ruins, No colony)

Seems like there are a lot of ways to go with this one -- I'm not sure if any of them will work.  Advice?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Kingdom -- how do I play it
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 12:03:04 pm »

Engine is too weak to compete against a Duchy/Duke strategy.  The question is how to go for it.  Squire, Beggar and Trader are all really nice for putting together a deck that can hit $5.

IMO, I'd open Trader/Beggar.  I think overall Beggar is a better choice and Squire.  Getting either 3 Copper the turn you play it or 3 delayed Silvers next reshuffle (Trader in hand) is just much better than +$1 and 1 Silver next shuffle.  Because in a Duchy/Duke slog the extra Copper is not bad.  With 3 Copper you just need a single Silver to hit $5.  Support from Trader should provide enough.  Beggar + Silver (or 2 Copper) is also $5.  I'd continue to buy Beggars at $2 and $3 getting 3-4 of them.  I'd probably get a 2nd Trader after the opening turns and then buy Beggar if money is $2-$4 alternating a few Silvers in there if you just aren't connecting Beggar and Trader or if you haven't hit Trader with Estate/Trader.  Get Duchy at $5 every time you can.  Library is not worth it.  Win the Duchy split and then switch to Dukes.

Edit.  I agree with what SCSN says.  Trader/Beggar into Silvers will be too slow and mass Beggar will work fine.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:14:15 am by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 01:06:45 pm »
+2

Just open Beggar/Beggar and buy nothing but Duchies, Dukes and more Beggars (as much as you can, unless it's so late in the game that you prefer Estate). A Beggar in hand almost guarantees $5 so you don't need any other cards and they'll in fact slow you down by not being Beggars themselves.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:31:35 pm »

Why Ruins? You meant Shelters?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.339 seconds with 21 queries.