Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 56  All

Author Topic: Arena General Discussion  (Read 331782 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Arena General Discussion
« Reply #1225 on: April 15, 2016, 11:59:08 am »

I went 2/3 with a deck with an Arcane Golem, 3 Fireballs, 2 Frostbolt, 2 Argent Horse Riders, and about 4 3/2 two drops.

I don't even understand this game anymore.

Earthern Ring Farseer and Antique Healbot magically showed up once I committed to aggression :(

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: April 15, 2016, 12:03:27 pm »

I went 2/3 with a deck with an Arcane Golem, 3 Fireballs, 2 Frostbolt, 2 Argent Horse Riders, and about 4 3/2 two drops.

Earthern Ring Farseer and Antique Healbot magically showed up once I committed to aggression :(
I think arena has gotten harder lately because the players less confident in their arena ability have started saving the gold for wotog packs.
My last few runs have all been pretty dubious, though part of that was down to absolutely horrific rng.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 15, 2016, 12:08:59 pm »

I think arena has gotten harder lately because the players less confident in their arena ability have started saving the gold for wotog packs.
My last few runs have all been pretty dubious, though part of that was down to absolutely horrific rng.

Yeah, I'm waiting to even do any arena runs until the expansion hits.  That way I won't get even more GvG packs, and can get packs from the new expansion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 22, 2016, 11:58:15 am »
+1

I just got 12 wins with Priest, which means I have a 12 win run for every class now. Still haven't managed to go 12-0 ever though :(

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 22, 2016, 01:11:10 pm »

Yeah, I'm waiting to even do any arena runs until the expansion hits.  That way I won't get even more GvG packs, and can get packs from the new expansion.

For me it's the opposite. This is my last chance to get some missing GvG cards at an efficient rate. I recently got Neptulon and Thermaplug from GvG packs I got from Arena after the format announcement. Plus I might get some classic packs with cards that will be nerfed once Standard hits, giving me an extra dust boost.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: April 23, 2016, 01:34:01 am »

My turn 3 board just now was mechwarper, mechwarper, snowchugger, snowchugger, tinkertown tech at 4/4. Turn 3. Against a Rogue. He conceded.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 23, 2016, 07:37:21 am »

For me it's the opposite. This is my last chance to get some missing GvG cards at an efficient rate. I recently got Neptulon and Thermaplug from GvG packs I got from Arena after the format announcement. Plus I might get some classic packs with cards that will be nerfed once Standard hits, giving me an extra dust boost.
I'm not sure wether I want to buy some GvG packs before they leave so I can finish by getting a legendary, thus not wasting any "pity timer".

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 25, 2016, 10:54:26 pm »

I'm using http://www.heartharena.com/tierlist  to help me with Arena drafts, and some of its recommendations don't make much sense to me.
I got the option for paladin (yay!).

One of my options is between ancient shade, abomination, and cobalt guardian.
The one that looks the best to me is Cobalt guardian. The tier list says it's bad, abomination is below average, and ancient shade is average.
Abomination would be great except that it damages yourself and your minions along with everything else. Ancient Shade great stats for its cost but does (a probable) 7 damage to yourself.  Are these cards really good enough to be worth it despite their drawbacks?

Also, it ranks holy light as terrible. Why?
I'm thinking the tier list might do me more good if I know the reasoning behind the rankings.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 25, 2016, 11:24:38 pm »
+2

I'm using http://www.heartharena.com/tierlist  to help me with Arena drafts, and some of its recommendations don't make much sense to me.
I got the option for paladin (yay!).

One of my options is between ancient shade, abomination, and cobalt guardian.
The one that looks the best to me is Cobalt guardian. The tier list says it's bad, abomination is below average, and ancient shade is average.
Abomination would be great except that it damages yourself and your minions along with everything else. Ancient Shade great stats for its cost but does (a probable) 7 damage to yourself.  Are these cards really good enough to be worth it despite their drawbacks?

Also, it ranks holy light as terrible. Why?
I'm thinking the tier list might do me more good if I know the reasoning behind the rankings.

It sounds like you value life too much. The core tenet of Hearthstone (and MtG for that matter) is that life is a resource you can spend to either get more card advantage or more tempo. The closer you are to death, the more life matters, but at the start of the game everyone has tons of life.

(Edit: The Dominion analogy of this is somebody who buys Estates and Duchies early because they give VP, and the winner is the person with the most VP. Meanwhile, that person who's willing to trash their starting Estates is going to beat them hands down.)

Cobalt Guardian is a 6/3 for 5 mana. 3 health is really small. Almost everyone will be playing a 3/2 for 2 mana, and several classes have spells that deal 3 damage from the hand. It's lots of damage if it lives, but in most cases it won't. The most often scenario is that you trade down, spending more mana than your opponent to lose 1 card each. The Mech synergy isn't good enough to justify stats that are so bad.

The idea behind Abomination is that you play it when you have 0 or 1 creatures out. If you have lots of minions, you don't play Abomination. So, the drawback is only a drawback in some situations. This is why Hellfire is a good card - you only play Hellfire when your opponent has more stuff than you do, making the trade better for you. Taking 2 damage is a great deal if you can get rid of several of your opponent's minions. What makes Abomination iffy is that it's only good to play when you're losing, making it bad if the board is even. The best cards are good to play when you're losing or winning.

Ancient Shade is a 7/4 for 4 mana. 4 health is actually a lot more than 3 health - it's much harder for most classes to do 4 damage. There aren't a lot of 4/3 minions for 3 mana, so usually your opponent has to use a 4 mana minion to kill it. And Ancient Shade will kill most minions that try to attack into it. You call the 7 damage to yourself probable, but it isn't. Think of it this way - how often do your games go to 10 mana for both players? At 10 turns, your odds of taking 7 damage are around 1/2 at most, and probably smaller. The drawback hurts, but it's not as likely as you think. (If Ancient Shade lives, you might be able to end the game before that drawback matters.)

Holy Light is bad because again, it only heals you. It doesn't improve your board, it doesn't remove enemy minions. All it does is spend a card to let you lose slower. Usually it's better to spend cards that let you win faster.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 11:30:52 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 26, 2016, 12:04:43 am »

(another crappy 1-3 run.)
Abomination would be bad for a paladin then, because paladins tend to have lots of minions especially since I had violet teacher, murloc knight, and mukla's champion in that deck. Probably should've gone with ancient shade (I succombed to my first instinct and got colbalt guardian -partly because I had already drafted a tinkertown tech). Apart from Colbalt guardian, I drafted all cards that the tierlist said was the best choice of the three (or tied for best).

I won the majority of my games in the most recent Tavern Brawl (which someone said was both high-skill and high-luck), so I'm not that terrible at the game. I'm guessing my horrible arena winrate is a mix of lack of arena experience and bad luck (I've never gotten more than 4 wins and that only once). Also, out of about 9 tries, I've only gotten the option for paladin (my favorite class and one of the best for arena from what I've heard) twice.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 26, 2016, 08:23:42 am »

Abomination would be bad for a paladin then, because paladins tend to have lots of minions especially since I had violet teacher, murloc knight, and mukla's champion in that deck. Probably should've gone with ancient shade (I succombed to my first instinct and got colbalt guardian -partly because I had already drafted a tinkertown tech). Apart from Colbalt guardian, I drafted all cards that the tierlist said was the best choice of the three (or tied for best).

The tierlist judges how good cards are in isolation. You have to consider synergies and more importantly curve as well. Heartharena can also give you recommendations based on your previous pick if you use the main site instead of just the tierlist.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: April 26, 2016, 08:27:38 am »

(I succombed to my first instinct and got colbalt guardian -partly because I had already drafted a tinkertown tech).
This stood out to me.  You really don't want to start drafting cards that are only good if you have a mech until you already have quite a few mechs (I'd say ideally you want to be looking like your deck will have at least 6/7 mechs). 
Tinkertown is OK as a 3/3 alone, so that's OK, but something like Cobalt which requires a mech to be remotely decent needs a lot of mech support already. 
It's usually not a good idea to pick things that require mech synergy and then say to yourself that you'll prioritise mechs later (unless you already have a fair number of mechs).  You might not get offered any mechs (or nearly as bad, you might end up picking mechs over better cards just for the sake of the synergy, which usually isn't great either).
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1237 on: April 26, 2016, 08:42:09 am »
+1

Ancient Shade is really good. Your opponent has to deal with it somehow or he's going to suffer a lot, and most ways of dealing with a 4 mana 7/4 are slow or require you to spend more than 4 mana or more than one card. The worst that could happen is that he has a weapon, and then he still has to take that damage. I don't think I've ever lost a game because of the drawback — it just doesn't happen very often to begin with, and it's not that big of a deal even if it does happen unless you're already losing anyway.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Scion

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 26, 2016, 09:59:34 am »

The tierlist judges how good cards are in isolation. You have to consider synergies and more importantly curve as well. Heartharena can also give you recommendations based on your previous pick if you use the main site instead of just the tierlist.

This.  Tempo is extremely important in Hearthstone.  Having a good curve allows you to play an on-cost minion each turn, which can by itself win you games.  At the least, it puts a lot of pressure on your opponent to match your pace.  Additionally it allows to you usually maintain control of the board, which allows you to make favorable trades, which nets you card advantage, which helps you maintain control of the board, ...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 26, 2016, 12:08:51 pm »

Also winning in tavern brawl is not the same as winning the arena. They are completely different games, and sometimes Brawls can be won on a lot of RNG. Arena has RNG as well, but your win % needs to be high to get a lot of wins.

As people have said, Cobalt Guardian is terrible, but ancient Shade is pretty good. You are 100% right about abomination though. In Pally is hurts your hero power, even more so with the cards you had like Mukla's champion and Violet teacher (if you had any spells).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: April 26, 2016, 12:49:08 pm »

You might find the Heartharena app more useful than the tier list, because it helps with synergies and curve and so forth.  The main problem is, the guys who calculated the lists and everything no longer work for/with HA, so I wouldn't bet on it after the patch, which... I guess is happening right now, isn't it?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: April 26, 2016, 01:31:42 pm »

You might find the Heartharena app more useful than the tier list, because it helps with synergies and curve and so forth.  The main problem is, the guys who calculated the lists and everything no longer work for/with HA, so I wouldn't bet on it after the patch, which... I guess is happening right now, isn't it?

It should be up in less than an hour, then the servers go nuts.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 26, 2016, 09:38:33 pm »

Is the app free?  (And is it still being decently maintained after the patch?)  I went to the site, but didn't feel like making yet another username/pw at the time.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: April 27, 2016, 01:32:49 am »

Is the app free?  (And is it still being decently maintained after the patch?)  I went to the site, but didn't feel like making yet another username/pw at the time.

The app is free.  Whether it's working after the patch, I couldn't tell you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 27, 2016, 08:39:29 pm »
+5

ADWCTA and Merps now keep their tier list here:

http://thelightforge.com/TierList

Edit:  And for LibAdv and others, there is an overlay available, check their FAQ.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:48:56 pm by Kirian »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: April 28, 2016, 07:10:54 pm »

Man, I love going 0-3 in Arena.  SO FUN

On the other hand, pulled Y'Shaarj from the pack.  Not sure how good it'll be though...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:17:49 pm by Kirian »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 28, 2016, 09:22:20 pm »

And a second 0-3.

This is what happens when you're offered a total of four 2-drops...

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: April 29, 2016, 12:35:56 am »
+1

4-3! (with Druid) Tied my best.  I got excited that I might beat my previous best when I was at 4-1, but it didn't happen.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1248 on: April 29, 2016, 12:45:52 am »

4-3! (with Druid)

How can you lose 3! games?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: April 29, 2016, 01:26:15 am »
+2

4-3! (with Druid)

How can you lose 3! games?

Presumably in two separate runs.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 56  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.