Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goons or not?  (Read 2370 times)

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
Goons or not?
« on: April 14, 2014, 04:18:23 pm »

Hi,

I played a game with this board:

Code: [Select]
Trade Route, Bishop, Pirate Ship, Spy, Contraband, Rabble, Royal Seal, Witch, Goons, Forge
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140414/log.53091282e4b059e80625a41b.1397506146636.txt

I split 5/2, go for Witch, with the plan to later go for Goons, though there is a lack of villages. I was in doubt, I could also try something with Forge or Bishop. I still don't now the best option.. I get some points with my Goons, but I can't establish a lead because I only can play one action every turn. I buy more treasures and I start buying Colonies, but my opponent was faster than me and got a victory, while I was able to buy the last Colony in my following turn.

Should I've greened earlier and more aggressively? Or did I buy too many terminals? I really would like some advice, because I think I could have played better.

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
Re: Goons or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 04:36:06 pm »

I'd say your biggest mistake was the early Bishop. The Witch in the opening gives you a big advantage, but Bishop trashes better for your opponent than it trashes for you and your Bishop allow's him to get rid of his curses very quickly. The few extra VP from trashing Estates and Coppers really don't matter in a Goons Colony game So if you really want to focus on trashing better take Trade route, but actually i think just going for 1-2 Witches and a few Goons and lots of Treasures could be better as trashing is less important in Big Money strategies.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:49:16 pm »

Your opponent made some strange buys, mostly the Pirate Ship near the end of the game. Also the Contraband is questionable. Id say Goons is ok here, but since there no actions you cant play more than 1 per turn. I'd start by getting a Witch or two (probably two), then maybe a Goons a straight money after that. Chances are someone else will come along who is a bit better than me, but this game will focus on money.

EDIT: Markowkette got there before me

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:53:04 pm »

Haven't gone through all your log.
Opening witch is huge here. In a Colony game where you can play just one bishop or goons at a time it might be a nice addition to your deck but not more, the extra vp shouldnt be game deciding. In early game you should really focus on money and buying a second witch. Important is to win the curse split and get to platinum first. You don't need trashing as long as your opponent just trashes with bishop (in that case he doesnt trash more than you). If he would have bought 2 trade routes you should maybe reevaluate. Think. You want to play big money here (cause there is no engine), witch as draw fits perfectly into it, maybe a rabble later thats it. Your terminals are a nice addition if you play BM without draw, but with draw so much terminal are not good. You have a big advantage with early witch, just run over him as you would do on a cultist 5/2 board  ;)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:34:34 pm »

The basic analysis would be:
- start with witches and treasures
- the game has no obvious 3 pile endings so plan to buy some colonies with platinum
- an early bishop is likely to give poor coin income and give free trashing to the opponent - focus on colonies instead
- the royal seal is ok here, contraband probably not, spy very situational
- you will want some other terminal(s) after the curses are exhausted

The second half of the game will need a smart choice of terminal actions and you need to watch your opponent's deck. Rabble is good against goons, goons are good against forge and bishop, bishop/trade route/forge might mitigate rabble. You can't have everything so make a good choice. It's different again in multiplayer so don't worry about that.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:19:57 pm »
+1

This is actually a board where Royal Seal can do incredible work.  You obviously want to open Witch and then get a 2nd Witch.  But other $5's should be Royal Seal, focus on Gold for $6.  Trashing is mediocre here, no village, no cantrip (Spy doesn't Count).

You probably want at least $2 Royal Seals.  The reason is that they accelerate your buying power immensely.  The following scenarios are extremely likely with Royal Seal.

Buy Gold => Topdeck Gold => Buy Gold next turn
Buy Platinum => Topdeck Platinum => Buy Platinum next turn

By getting royal seal you effectively get an extra use out of your really good money (aka Gold and Platinum).  In a game with light trashing and no cycling getting an extra play or two of Platinum can be game winning. 

I might be wrong here as to how good this is, but I think it does have a good bit of merit and will help win. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:08:52 pm »

Yeah, getting Royal seals on $5 after the second Witch is a good option if you don't want to overterminal. I suppose you can mix in more Goons as you get more Gold and Platinum. Getting Platinum with a 3 card hand is going to be very difficult here, so Goons as an attack is quite solid.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 11:09:23 pm »

Yeah, getting Royal seals on $5 after the second Witch is a good option if you don't want to overterminal. I suppose you can mix in more Goons as you get more Gold and Platinum. Getting Platinum with a 3 card hand is going to be very difficult here, so Goons as an attack is quite solid.

Goon's attack is good to mention.  Getting to $9 could be tough.  But the thing is that Platinum begets Platinum.  Getting that first one does a lot to snowball into more.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 01:36:04 pm »

Thanks a lot for the advice, it helps me a lot :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.521 seconds with 22 queries.