Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23  All

Author Topic: ZM17: Battle School Mafia (Towns wins flawlessly!)  (Read 71737 times)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
Re: ZM17: Battle School Mafia (Towns wins flawlessly!)
« Reply #525 on: March 26, 2014, 07:38:56 pm »

What's the delayed IC announcements thing ? You only say who they are 12 hours in ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 26, 2014, 07:39:25 pm »

Is the name of the insect guys really the "formics" in English ? Ugh. I read them in French because my English wasn't good enough back then (I must have been 13 or something), I like the French name a lot better (Doryphores).

I think it works fine, although I might have had the ICs be authority figures. Or have the IC be Ender himself, the whole point is that his innocence is what allows him to get things right although I suppose that doesn't work with two ICs. I'm realizing now that I don't remember many details about the books, I should probably see the movie at some point.

Yeah, they call them Buggers first, then Formics more formally.  It comes from how they resemble ants (le formiche in Italian, for example).

The movie was good, not great, but I enjoyed it.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 26, 2014, 07:39:33 pm »

If you took away the vengekill and 1 of the ICs, would it be too hard for town? Probably...

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 26, 2014, 07:39:40 pm »

What's the delayed IC announcements thing ? You only say who they are 12 hours in ?

They decide when they want to be announced.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 26, 2014, 07:40:46 pm »

Yeah I get the formic thing (ant = fourmi in French), it's way too on the nose for me, but that's probably because the connection is super obvious in French, whereas it's not in English.

Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 26, 2014, 07:41:11 pm »

Is the name of the insect guys really the "formics" in English ? Ugh. I read them in French because my English wasn't good enough back then (I must have been 13 or something), I like the French name a lot better (Doryphores).

I think it works fine, although I might have had the ICs be authority figures. Or have the IC be Ender himself, the whole point is that his innocence is what allows him to get things right although I suppose that doesn't work with two ICs. I'm realizing now that I don't remember many details about the books, I should probably see the movie at some point.

Yeah, they call them Buggers first, then Formics more formally.  It comes from how they resemble ants (le formiche in Italian, for example).

I don't like to see movies of books I've read.  They never match what I imagined well enough, and they have to leave so much out.  The only exception was the first book of Harry Potter.  That movie was really faithful to the book. 

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 26, 2014, 07:42:31 pm »

If you took away the vengekill and 1 of the ICs, would it be too hard for town? Probably...

Probably.

The VK is always an IC, because you don't want to remove a VT from the mislynch pool.  By adding a VT to the pool, you don't even need the VK.

At 3 v 4+1, you only need 2 mislynches anyway.  Hit scum D1, you are at 2 v 4+1 with 1/3 chance of hitting scum of 2 v 3+1 with a 2/3 chance of hitting scum.  You are really reducing town's chances there.

If you really think this setup favors town, this is definitely a nerf.  But man, that's a tough drop.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 26, 2014, 07:43:03 pm »

I was so upset for Ender the first time I read the book.  That was terrible to trick him into genocide like that.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 26, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »

I don't like to see movies of books I've read.  They never match what I imagined well enough, and they have to leave so much out.  The only exception was the first book of Harry Potter.  That movie was really faithful to the book.

You know, I was actually really happy with Fellowship of the Ring.  Didn't expect to be so content with the adaptation, but I was.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 26, 2014, 07:43:42 pm »

I was so upset for Ender the first time I read the book.  That was terrible to trick him into genocide like that.

Understatement of the year.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 26, 2014, 07:44:21 pm »

@EFHW : I used to think that (as a kid I worshipped Tolkien and only begrundgingly admitted that the movies were half-decent, and even then, what's up with those elves in Helm's Deep ?), but I guess I'm fine with it now. The problem I have with movie adaptations is they take away my imagination : I can't think of Harry/Ron/Hermione without seeing the actor's faces, which feels less personal than when you just imagine them yourselves, but I don't mind movies not being 100% faithful now.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 26, 2014, 07:44:28 pm »

Yeah, I don't know what else you could do though. Definitely make the IC delayed in that case. It's probably just too hard on town though.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 26, 2014, 07:45:20 pm »

You know, I was actually really happy with Fellowship of the Ring.  Didn't expect to be so content with the adaptation, but I was.

I thought Frodo was too young looking.  Sam was perfect, though.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 26, 2014, 07:47:47 pm »

@EFHW : I used to think that (as a kid I worshipped Tolkien and only begrundgingly admitted that the movies were half-decent, and even then, what's up with those elves in Helm's Deep ?), but I guess I'm fine with it now. The problem I have with movie adaptations is they take away my imagination : I can't think of Harry/Ron/Hermione without seeing the actor's faces, which feels less personal than when you just imagine them yourselves, but I don't mind movies not being 100% faithful now.

I feel the same way about the movie characters taking over your imagination.  I think that did happen with Harry Potter.  Luckily the actors were so well cast, they looked like I expected.  Not Lupin or Mr. Weasley, though, and I've gone back to my own pictures of them since.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 26, 2014, 07:49:53 pm »

I feel the same way about the movie characters taking over your imagination.  I think that did happen with Harry Potter.  Luckily the actors were so well cast, they looked like I expected.  Not Lupin or Mr. Weasley, though, and I've gone back to my own pictures of them since.

I have no idea how I thought of them before seeing the movies (I think I had read the first three when I saw the first movie), but I know movie!Snape looks nothing like I imagined him. He's great, but I kind of wish I could still remember that mental image.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 26, 2014, 07:50:27 pm »

I love the setup but feel its very tilted towards town. They have a 50% chance of winning on random lynch and will likely do better than random.

I've run it 6 times and it's split 3/3.  Both times SFS ran it, the mafia won.

So it feels tilted, but remember:

--2 ICs have worse reads than everyone else mathematically
--daychat is strong, especially if they can coordinate hammers

Delayed IC announcements strengthens town too much.  ICs being Masons is basically delayed IC annoucements with extra chatting, which strengthens town too much.  Scum choosing ICs add too much politics to the game, I think.  Those have been modifications we've tried.

I think the original, which I didn't create of course, is still the best.  Could it be improved?  Probably.  We just haven't found out how yet.
I still like my Best Friends version. SFS ran it and scum ended up winning.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 26, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »

Wouldn't best friends just operate the same as hidden ICs? Scum can't counterclaim it...

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
Re: ZM17: Battle School Mafia (Day 2)
« Reply #542 on: March 26, 2014, 07:59:41 pm »

Bwahaha, Another win for my "Seek IC status" strategy. Sorry, haters.

That's not why town won.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 26, 2014, 08:06:56 pm »

Very fun game to follow. Happy I ended up being right in the speccy about 2/3 scum (I had EFHW/nkirbit/Jimmmmm), but yuma was incredible.

Very surprised my gut-read "EFHW is so scum" was actually right for once. But I guess the odds say one should be eventually...

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: ZM17: Battle School Mafia (Day 2)
« Reply #544 on: March 26, 2014, 08:12:49 pm »

Bwahaha, Another win for my "Seek IC status" strategy. Sorry, haters.

That's not why town won.

I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 26, 2014, 08:22:32 pm »

Very surprised my gut-read "EFHW is so scum" was actually right for once. But I guess the odds say one should be eventually...

Yeah, it's hard to evaluate how good reads etc are when half of the suspects are scum

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 26, 2014, 08:50:41 pm »

Wouldn't best friends just operate the same as hidden ICs? Scum can't counterclaim it...
Yeah, but they don't have to auto claim.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 26, 2014, 09:11:27 pm »

Yeah, but they don't have to auto claim.

Neither do hidden ICs.

The "problem" with alternate versions (delayed ICs, masons, best friends) is that they are all basically the same theme: town PRs that are confirmed town upon claiming because mafia can't risk the counterclaim.  So then it's just a game of timing the claim to see how people react to everyone.

I think we'd have to re-think the entire setup to come up with a better version.  Something that has no ICs or adds PRs to Mafia.  A silent mafia dayvig would be pretty amazing, if you could strengthen town enough.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 26, 2014, 09:18:20 pm »

This setup is great! It's the only one we have that is exactly 50-50 balanced. Best friends, masons, or hidden ICs all make the game tilted towards town.

I love the setup but feel its very tilted towards town. They have a 50% chance of winning on random lynch and will likely do better than random.
Well, theoretically scum won't let town do better than random lynch.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 26, 2014, 10:00:05 pm »

Holes was good.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 15 queries.