Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Siege Engine: an "attack" (but not really) that targets reaction cards  (Read 1688 times)

Captain Stupendous

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile

Hey everyone, here's another card idea I've been thinking about.

Siege Engines
Action
Cost: $4
+1 Action
Each other player must discard a reaction card or reveal a hand with no reaction cards.
If no player discarded a card, +2 cards, then discard one card from your hand.

The first thing to notice about this card is that it is NOT an attack. Like masquerade, it feels like an attack in that it forces your opponents to discard reaction cards, but it can't be defended against with cards like moat or horse traders because it itself isn't an attack card.

The next thing to notice is that it will play quite differently depending on what other action cards are in the kingdom. A lot of the time it will show up in kingdoms without any reaction cards. In this case its a relatively vanilla sifter, somewhat comparable to warehouse or oasis. I think its certainly powerful at $4 since its basically a laboratory as long as you have a victory card in hand to discard, but I don't think it would be too strong for its price point.

I originally designed this card however thinking of its use in kingdoms with good attack cards and reaction cards which effectively block the present attack cards. In this case Siege Engine serves as an enabler for your attack cards, allowing you to play the Siege Engine first, discard your opponent's moat, and then have an action to play your attack card on your defenseless opponents! If you have the bad luck to draw multiple Siege Engines but no attack cards, your Siege Engines' sifting ability gives you a chance to draw your missing attack cards to complete the combo.

All in all I think its a neat card that opens up some unique possibilities for reacting to the way your opponent is building his or her deck in games with reaction cards.

It also has a really weird/hilarious interaction with Tunnel.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:53:33 pm by Captain Stupendous »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
+1

Hey everyone, here's another card idea I've been thinking about.

Siege Engines
Action
Cost: $4
+1 Action
Each other player must discard a reaction card or reveal a hand with no reaction cards.
If no player discarded a card, +2 cards, then discard one card from your hand.

The first thing to notice about this card is that it is NOT an attack. Like masquerade, it feels like an attack in that it forces your opponents to discard reaction cards, but it can't be defended against with cards like moat or horse traders because it itself isn't an attack card.

The next thing to notice is that it will play quite differently depending on what other action cards are in the kingdom. A lot of the time it will show up in kingdoms without any reaction cards. In this case its a relatively vanilla sifter, somewhat comparable to warehouse or oasis. I think its certainly powerful at $4 since its basically a laboratory as long as you have a victory card in hand to discard, but I don't think it would be too strong for its price point.

I originally designed this card however thinking of its use in kingdoms with good attack cards and reaction cards which effectively block the present attack cards. In this case Siege Engine serves as an enabler for your attack cards, allowing you to play the Siege Engine first, discard your opponent's moat, and then have an action to play your attack card on your defenseless opponents! If you have the bad luck to draw multiple Siege Engines but no attack cards, your Siege Engines' sifting ability gives you a chance to draw your missing attack cards to complete the combo.

All in all I think its a neat card that opens up some unique possibilities for reacting to the way your opponent is building his or her deck in games with reaction cards.

It also has a really weird/hilarious interaction with Tunnel.

Cute thematic consistency.  You lay siege to my Castle and build siege engines?  Fine, I use my Tunnel sneak out and get supplies in.  We'll see how outlasts this siege...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
+7

Donald tested [+2 Cards; +1 Action; Discard a card] for $4 and decided it was too strong.

Also, I really don't think we need a card that fights Reactions. In general, Attack cards are strong in order to promote interaction. Reaction cards are weak, in order to not completely dissuade players from buying those Attack cards. Since Reaction cards are already weak, a card that makes them even weaker wouldn't really add much to the game.

Sorry to rain on each and every part of your parade. :-\  This is just my opinion.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile

I think, it's a cute idea, indeed. But LastFootnote, on the other hand, definitely has a point. Anyhow, if you still want to play with such a card, it should really be worth $5. As you said, it's (almost) a Lab and also makes other players vulnerable to subsequent attacks. So $4 would be too little.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile

By the logic of this card, we would then need a destroy siege engine card which makes people discard or trash any card that makes people discard reactions. Then we'd need a destroy destroy siege engine card...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile

By the logic of this card, we would then need a destroy siege engine card which makes people discard or trash any card that makes people discard reactions. Then we'd need a destroy destroy siege engine card...

Infinite Reactive Recursion.  Or Infinite Recursive Reaction.  I like it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.