Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Silversmith: A Jack of All Trades variant  (Read 2375 times)

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
Silversmith: A Jack of All Trades variant
« on: February 04, 2014, 08:49:07 pm »

I decided to make a card that would be like a Coppersmith, but for Silver. That would turn Silver into Gold for a turn like Coppersmith turns Copper into Silver. Then I eventually realized that that would be kinda broken, so then I changed it into a sort of cross between Jack of All Trades and Trading Post. (Disclaimer: I have yet to playtest this card, but am planning on doing it soon, I don't sleeve my cards, so that does create some difficulty with playtesting as you might imagine)

The card text is as follows:
+1 Card
Trash a card from your hand that is not a treasure card and
gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.

(The cost of Silversmith is $4)

Thoughts?
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Silversmith: A Jack of All Trades variant
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 09:25:51 pm »

There is already a thread about a card is Coppersmith for silvers. The consensus is that it would not be overpowered.

As for your card, I think it`s fairly weak. I guess $4 is ok. It's trashing is limited, it seems like a good card fro BM. I do think that it's sort of the same as Jack though. Yeah the Silver goes into your hand, but it's not anymore interesting.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:47:28 pm »

That's what I realized just this evening looking at it more closely, what sort of edits would you recommend to make it more interesting and unique?

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:23:10 am »

I disagree that a card that makes Silver produce $1 more would be broken. If anything, I expect it to be weaker than Coppersmith because your deck starts out with seven Coppers, but zero Silvers. That makes a big difference. So even if the effect can be more powerful than Coppersmith's effect, you have to work harder to get there.

For what it's worth, I have a card that raises Silver's value, trashes cards, and gains Silver. So it's sort of a combination of your original idea and your revised version.

It hasn't gotten much playtesting yet unfortunately, but my mock games haven't shown it to be a powerhouse card by itself. Like Coppersmith, it needs increased hand size to be strong.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:59:54 am by LastFootnote »

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:25:55 am »

Very nice. I'm sure his has been asked before, but where did you get the template for the nice card art?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:40:27 am »

I disagree that a card that makes Silver produce $1 more would be broken.
On the MTG Salvation fan card creation forums, the word "broken" was (is? Haven't been there for a while) used to describe any cards that weren't balanced - including those that were way too weak. That meaning would be appropriate for this situation.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:17:37 pm »
+1

Just a random point for playtesting, you can use the blank cards and pretend that they are the card you are playtesting.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »

Very nice. I'm sure his has been asked before, but where did you get the template for the nice card art?

There are a few floating around.  I think there is one on BGG, and I think one of the better ones I've seen is this one by Showdown35.  IIRC, LastFootnote has a template he made (or tweaked) on his own that he said he planned to share eventually.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 05:03:50 pm »

There are a few floating around.  I think there is one on BGG, and I think one of the better ones I've seen is this one by Showdown35.  IIRC, LastFootnote has a template he made (or tweaked) on his own that he said he planned to share eventually.

Yeah, I gotta remember to post that here sometime when I'm using the computer that it's on.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.