Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alt-VP bonanza  (Read 1180 times)

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
Alt-VP bonanza
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:59:31 am »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140202/log.505e9c9c0cf2ef979299a7c0.1391406865088.txt

Harem, Duke, Silk Road, Island.  Key support cards are Haggler, Noble Brigand, and maybe Bridge.  (I think Village, Festival, and Outpost can be ignored entirely).

How would you play this?  I'm sure the focus should be either Duke or Silk Road but I'm not sure which is better.  I'm pretty sure Haggler outclasses NB and Bridge, but would a Bridge/Silver opening have been better than Island/Silver?  Should you bother with Provinces at all?  I like my strategy in this game overall, especially the early Harem-into-Haggler buys, I think that's what you need to set yourself up here no matter what you're going for.  But I'm wondering how other people would approach this board.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:05:03 am by jaybeez »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Alt-VP bonanza
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 01:48:47 pm »

I would try for Dukes, with Silkroads after to boost my score. I agree Haggler is good here, allowing you gain Silver or Villages at worst from Duchy or Duke buys. Because there's no draw, I don't think Festival is great. It's just a Non-terminal Silver, and the buy is not super useful because you can't get more treasures into hand.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Alt-VP bonanza
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:20:53 pm »

I agree that Dukes and Haggler are key here, when you have an early $4 I would think NB is probably what you want to go for, stealing even one or two silvers over the course of the game is going to be a big deal when you're decks are filled with green and $5 is the key price point. I would probably open NB/Silver. The more I play with it the more I'm coming around to the opinion that opening Island is a bad idea, like, 90% of the time. The big thing on a board like this is the Duchy race, you're going to be greening really fast so your early game buys need to be spent all on economy, an Island is a missed buy now and a weaker turn later (when its in your hand) in exchange for trashing a single card, 2 vp, a little boost to SR? And you basically need it to collide with an estate, you're not going to want to set it aside with a copper.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 20 queries.