Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Movies I watched in 2023  (Read 254 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Movies I watched in 2023
« on: January 01, 2024, 01:16:03 am »
+3

As expected, Tears of the Kingdom took of a large portion of my free time this year, leading to fewer movies than usual. I watched a total of 102 films; 78 for the first time. Of the ones I saw for the first time; my favorite 10 in the order I watched them:

John Wick 1-4 (2014-2023) - I know it's kind of cheat to put 4 films in 1 slot, but they do all go together as 1 long story. I would rank them 3>1>2>4.
Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)
About Time (2013)
Fiddler on the Roof (1971)
Unknown (2011)
Bells Are Ringing (1960)
Snowden (2016)
Fall (2022)
Mother! (2017)
He Got Game (1998)

Honorable mentions:
Take Shelter (2011)
The Green Knight (2021)
Knock at the Cabin (2023)
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
Re: Movies I watched in 2023
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 11:05:28 pm »
+1

I think I'll reply with a list of movies I watched in the past year. I watch a lot of movies (mostly horror and horror/comedy) partly because I don't like how the story keeps going on and on with tv shows. They don't do tv "episodes" like they used to. So I watch very few tv series, usually only shows that are contained in one or two seasons. I want a complete story without having to watch several seasons of a show. anyway, here's my list for the past year.  (leaving out the least interesting ones and probably I few others I forgot). (6/10 is kind of my average rating. It's what I end up giving most movies I don't love or hate.) These are in order of how much I liked them:
Horror and horror-comedy:
- Mama          2013    8/10   I love a good ghost story, and that's what this is.
- Fall of the House of Usher 2023  8/10  (I tend to include single season series in my movie lists, so I will here too). I tend to like Mike Flanagan's stuff (and Edgar Allen Poe too), and I was not disappointed here. Well done (despite some messed up stuff)
- Renfield   2023  8/10  Not normally into vampire movies, but I love a good horror/comedy/adventure with heart.
- Smile    2022   8/10   I like it when the characters in a horror movie investigate the problem, find the source, and fight it (even if they don't win).
- Fright Night  1985  7.5/10  a classic horror comedy. (I didn't start watching any horror until the past few years, so I missed a lot of good old ones.)
- The Conjuring III: The Devil Made Me Do It  2021  7/10  I like pretty much all of the Conjuring universe movies I've seen. This wasn't one of the best of them, but it's good.
- Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil  2017  7/10  A well done dark fantasy story from folklore. I tend to like that kind of thing.
- It        2017    7/10   I liked it, though I'm not normally into scary clowns.
- House At the End of the Street  2012  7/10   Jennifer Laurence is hot. That may have skewed my opinion on this one a little.
- The Autopsy of Jane Doe  2016   6.5/10  Pretty good, but I expected more from its ratings.
- The Wailing (S.Korean)  2016   6.5/10  Good, but a bit too long.
- REC   2007 (Spanish)   6.5/10   Pretty good found footage zombie movie.
- X    2022   6/10   Good for what it was, but nothing amazing.
- Evil Dead (Remake) 2013  6/10  I loved Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, and enjoyed the Ash vs the Evil Dead series, but they played this remake straight, yet you couldn't take it very seriously with all the references to the original trilogy and how silly they were. Still pretty good.
- The Return of the Living Dead  1985  6/10  horror comedy zombies
- Llamageddon  2015  6/10  One of those "so bad, it's good" kind of movies. super low budget dumb fun.
- Wishmaster   1997   6/10   Sooo much cheesiness, but not bad. I like cheese sometimes.
- M3GAN     2022   6/10   It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect it to be. Pretty good, but not great.
- Paranormal Activity 2  2010  6/10 This (and the first one) I liked more than I expected, though still nothing special.
- Evil Dead Rise  2023  4/10  Easily the worst of the Evil Dead series imo. It didn't have what made the other ones good.
- Skinamarink  2022  3/10  I was really looking forward to this from the trailor with the very unique style. I was disappointed. They didn't do anything interesting with that style and half the time, nothing seemed to be happening or you couldn't tell what was happening.

Since most of what I watch is horror, I'll list the other ones separately:
- Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical  2022  9/10  I loved the book (yeah, I still like kids books) and liked the 90s movie. The musical was even better imo. It isn't just for kids.
- Everything Everywhere All at Once  2022  7/10  A unique and crazy adventure. Weird in a way I like (mostly).
- Gaslight     1944  7/10  A classic that I hadn't seen this till this past year.
- Leo     2023  7/10  A kids movie, but a good one.
- The Frighteners  1996  7/10  technically horror comedy but I watched it with my family and it's no scarier than Ghostbusters.
- Elf  2003    6.5/10  popular Christmas movie I hadn't seen it till this year.
- Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told  1967  6/10  Um...it was bizarre, and entertaining I guess. (my brother picked out this one)  would qualify as horror comedy, but I'm listing it with the non-horror ones because I watched it with my family (Is that even a reason? whatever) and it's not scary at all.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 11:14:30 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 03:15:02 pm »
+1

I saw Mama in 2018; liked it a lot.

Watched Smile in 2023, also liked it. Would have liked it more if I hadn't already seen The Babadook, Hereditary, and It Follows, since Smile felt like it was retreading on a lot of the same ground.

Disagree about Evil Dead Rise; saw it last year and liked it. Probably about as much as the 2013 remake. So maybe it was the worst of the 5; but that's really not saying much.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Chappy77

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 03:41:06 pm »
+1

I also watch mostly movies, and horror is my fave. 

Mama was the movie I went to when my girlfriend (later to be wife) first held hands when we were like, 16.  So it has a special place in my heart.  I like to go back and rewatch it.

Fall of the House of Usher was wild.  I didn't like it as much as midnight mass or hill house, or even bly manor.  But it was still good, and I'm a big flanagan fan.

This thread has inspired me to keep track of everything I watch in 2024.  I watch a lot of movies.  in 2023 I only kept track of my october spooky movie/show binge. Child's play, Goosebumps tv show, fall of the house of usher, insidious: the red door, No one will save you (surprisingly awesome imo), Case 39, Freaky, Betelgeuse, It, hereditary, Boogeyman, Talk to me. 

I try to watch some old classics that I've never seen each year, in addition to some new stuff.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 04:27:58 pm »

This thread has inspired me to keep track of everything I watch in 2024. 

I've been doing it since 2016 and I love it. Both tracking what I watched and writing a very brief review (usually 2-4 sentences). I'm no good at assigning actual numbers; so I never rank anything out of 10 or whatever. It's nice to be able to look back both at the end of the year for coming up with my top 10, but also to look back years later when I'm trying to remember when I saw a movie or what I thought about it when I did.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.