Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Kingdom Design Challenge 2013  (Read 7634 times)

nubs

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Kingdom Design Challenge 2013
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:52:52 pm »
+1

I really enjoyed the Kingdom Design Challenges in 2011 and 2012... But I can't seem to find one for 2013. Dominiondeck.com hasn't updated for Guilds, so I've been hunting for good kingdoms with all the expansions.

Any ideas? Perhaps we should do one?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:56:18 pm by nubs »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom Design Challenge 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 10:56:52 pm »

Well, Gokodom III is pretty much the F.DS championship for this year. I would expect it to have some kind of Kingdom Design contest as well.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 01:20:00 am »
+1

Well, Gokodom III is pretty much the F.DS championship for this year. I would expect it to have some kind of Kingdom Design contest as well.

There are no plans to have a Kingdom Design contest for GokoDom at any point.  And I wouldn't consider GD to be the f.DS Championship, as I expect to run at least two seasons this year--three if the timing works out right.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 06:33:25 pm »

Hm, I seem to remember seeing something about this Gokodom aiming to replace the old F.DS championships for this year?
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 07:18:07 pm »

Hm, I seem to remember seeing something about this Gokodom aiming to replace the old F.DS championships for this year?
You mean Theory's post at blog?

What does "in lieu of" mean? Is it synonym for "instead of"?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:19:26 pm by yed »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:47:06 pm »
+1

Hrm, I'm not sure I used the wording "in lieu of," but it's close enough; I think he used it to say, essentially, the fDS championships aren't happening, but here's this other tournament (which I asked him to promote).
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 07:50:30 pm »
+1

Hrm, I'm not sure I used the wording "in lieu of," but it's close enough; I think he used it to say, essentially, the fDS championships aren't happening, but here's this other tournament (which I asked him to promote).

This is correct.

I do think it's rewarding to do KDC's, but it is up to Kirian if he wants to take that on.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 07:55:23 pm »

Kirian doesn't have to run the KDC if he doesn't want to, that can be run separately and the kingdoms are just used in the final.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 09:52:39 pm »

Ah, well, there we go! Now I know I'm not becoming Ozle going crazy, thanks.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 02:03:08 pm »

This is correct.

I do think it's rewarding to do KDC's, but it is up to Kirian if he wants to take that on.

If Kirian wants help with that (e.g. setting judging parameters, play testing/picking kingdoms, contributing to a small prize), I would be open to that, even if I have to bow out of GokoDom to do it.

---

I DID have all sort of kingdoms I had been accumulating over the last year to contribute to a contest. Sadly, I made the mistake of actually using the Goko Deck Builder to save them. Sometime in the last couple of weeks, they were all deleted. I posted it on getsatisfaction, and they were kind enough to respond with... "are you sure?" Yes, yes, I'm sure. I still have a few I could submit, but I think I would enjoy picking the winners more.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 02:35:30 pm »

As an already non-particant in GokodomIII I'd be willing to throw in my two cents for kingdom judging.  At the very least I'd be willing to playtest/discuss some of the finalist and maybe help weed out the Hoard of submissions.  Depends on life though, dunno how easy it would be more me to specifically plan time.  My time is more sporadic for Dominion at the moment.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 02:45:07 pm »

This is correct.

If Kirian wants help with that (e.g. setting judging parameters, play testing/picking kingdoms, contributing to a small prize), I would be open to that, even if I have to bow out of GokoDom to do it.

---

I DID have all sort of kingdoms I had been accumulating over the last year to contribute to a contest. Sadly, I made the mistake of actually using the Goko Deck Builder to save them. Sometime in the last couple of weeks, they were all deleted. I posted it on getsatisfaction, and they were kind enough to respond with... "are you sure?" Yes, yes, I'm sure. I still have a few I could submit, but I think I would enjoy picking the winners more.

They probably asked that because it hasn't happened to anyone else? It didnt happen to me.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 02:59:20 pm »

if i read that right that you weren't interested then i would not be opposed to helping out with that.  it might be too much for kirian, and i did lend a hand last year so i can hopefully be trusted to not botch things too much.

I still have a few I could submit, but I think I would enjoy picking the winners more.
As an already non-particant in GokodomIII I'd be willing to throw in my two cents for kingdom judging.  At the very least I'd be willing to playtest/discuss some of the finalist and maybe help weed out the Hoard of submissions.

this is where i would not feel qualified, and it is why i was hesitant to volunteer at all. i don't have a strong enough grasp on either dark ages or guilds to make a fair judgment past a very cursory "first pass" analysis of the kingdoms. so in theory, i could take care of some of the logistics and then when it comes to the deeper inspections of kingdoms i could pass that on to a smaller circle of playtesters.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 12:23:19 pm »

Kirian doesn't have to run the KDC if he doesn't want to, that can be run separately and the kingdoms are just used in the final.

I think it's pretty clear he doesn't want to. But, Kirian, would you be open to having it run entirely by others and using the final 7 (11?) kingdoms in the GokoDom final?

The rules of the KDC will have to be tweaked depending on whether it's tied to the GokoDom finals or not (e.g. use of promos).

if i read that right that you weren't interested then i would not be opposed to helping out with that.  it might be too much for kirian, and i did lend a hand last year so i can hopefully be trusted to not botch things too much.

I still have a few I could submit, but I think I would enjoy picking the winners more.
As an already non-particant in GokodomIII I'd be willing to throw in my two cents for kingdom judging.  At the very least I'd be willing to playtest/discuss some of the finalist and maybe help weed out the Hoard of submissions.

this is where i would not feel qualified, and it is why i was hesitant to volunteer at all. i don't have a strong enough grasp on either dark ages or guilds to make a fair judgment past a very cursory "first pass" analysis of the kingdoms. so in theory, i could take care of some of the logistics and then when it comes to the deeper inspections of kingdoms i could pass that on to a smaller circle of playtesters.

Yes, I would be willing to help run and/or judge/evaluate kingdoms for a KDC.

greatexpectations, you set up the submission form for kingdoms last year, right? If that set up could be used again (with possibly a limit of 3 or 5 submissions per person), that would be great.

I also feel strongly that a KDC should be done. It would be best if the finalists could be tied to a tournament before the community voting on an overall winner (that was a nice touch last year), but I would still be willing to play a major role even if it's not.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 12:37:56 pm »

I'd be willing to judge/evaluate for this, but I don't think I have time to help organize.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 01:24:28 pm »
+3

I'm certainly willing to have the kingdom design winners as the finals for GokoDom, but beware; the final match of the first GokoDom was played with base cards only!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 02:37:07 pm »

I'm certainly willing to have the kingdom design winners as the finals for GokoDom, but beware; the final match of the first GokoDom was played with base cards only!

What? Why?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 02:41:46 pm »

What? Why?

Well, it's not exactly true. Rabid and I played a Base Set match as the last Swiss round (we were numbers 1 and 2 so had to be paired). And we had the Dark Ages promos (Nobles, Harem, Haven). DG and I played a Base + Hinterlands + Nobles/Harem/Haven as the final for the first Gokodom. Those are the only sets we owned (DG had Hinterlands).

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 02:46:46 pm »

What? Why?

Well, it's not exactly true. Rabid and I played a Base Set match as the last Swiss round (we were numbers 1 and 2 so had to be paired). And we had the Dark Ages promos (Nobles, Harem, Haven). DG and I played a Base + Hinterlands + Nobles/Harem/Haven as the final for the first Gokodom. Those are the only sets we owned (DG had Hinterlands).

Ok, it's only out of necessity. I thought maybe that was some rule. Back to the basics for the final!

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 04:05:48 pm »

greatexpectations, you set up the submission form for kingdoms last year, right? If that set up could be used again (with possibly a limit of 3 or 5 submissions per person), that would be great.

i did not set up the submission form last year. i was more involved with the tournament itself. i think there was some back and forth with theory at the very start of the KDC, but my role was limited in that until the end. at that point, theory pulled me in to lend a  hand in trimming down the submission list and commenting on some of the better submissions. the submission form should not be hard to duplicate, though the form (and the rules) could probably use a bit of tweaking because of the newest expansions.

i'll get in touch with theory and kirian about getting it set up for this year. theory can probably lend a quick hand with some logistical issues, and kirian will probably want a say in integrating it into the GokoDom.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 12:30:01 pm »
+3

My Kingdom:

Village
Walled Village
Fortress
Throne Room
Procession
King's Court
Wandering Minstrel
Band of Misfits
University
Scheme
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.454 seconds with 21 queries.