Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Forcing your opponent to possess you  (Read 4795 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Forcing your opponent to possess you
« on: January 24, 2014, 11:44:45 am »
+1

If you're playing a Possession game, it might be the right move to have your opponent play Possession. Simplest case would be if your hand is simply terrible. Just curious, has anyone done this in a game? I don't think it's ever come up for me.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Forcing your opponent to possess you
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:48:17 am »

I think I've done it before.  The tough part is knowing if their deck is capable of possessing you. 

i.e.  Before they possess your hand, they take their own turn playing ANOTHER Possession. 

If such is the case it would have been better off not playing Possession.  This involves knowing the limits and capabilities of their deck in regards to the likelyhood of them either playing that Possession again or having a different Possession in their next hand.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:57:07 am »

I think I've done it before.  The tough part is knowing if their deck is capable of possessing you. 

i.e.  Before they possess your hand, they take their own turn playing ANOTHER Possession. 

If such is the case it would have been better off not playing Possession.  This involves knowing the limits and capabilities of their deck in regards to the likelyhood of them either playing that Possession again or having a different Possession in their next hand.

Good point, I completely missed that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:13:14 pm »

Hm? I don't think this is right.

I play Possession; then on your Possessed turn I make you play Possession; then the turn where you possess me should happen next, not your normal turn, right?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:17:31 pm »
+2

I play Possession; then on your Possessed turn I make you play Possession; then the turn where you possess me should happen next, not your normal turn, right?

The order doesn't matter in this case. Either way, if you play a Possession on your normal turn, I'm going to wish I hadn't made you play Possession on your possessed turn.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:18:53 pm by GendoIkari »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:49:36 pm »

The order doesn't matter in this case. Either way, if you play a Possession on your normal turn, I'm going to wish I hadn't made you play Possession on your possessed turn.

Ah, I see what you mean.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 05:55:28 pm »

So I almost did something worse recently. My hand was $4 and green cards I was Possessing my opponent. His hand was Throne Room, Throne Room, Conspirator, Possession, (green card). I (he) played TR-TR-Conspirator. Luckily, I (he) drew two actions (his deck was action dense); otherwise I would have been forced to TR the Possession!

So, even though it didn't happen I could have made (what I think was) the right decision and played TR-Possession.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 09:46:58 pm »
+5

I have done it a few times, most notably when I needed to trigger a reshuffle so i could see my possessions faster, my opponent wasn't near a reshuffle and I had 4 victory cards in hand.

However, since that was playing online, Goko decided to resolve possession by merging my opponent's deck and my deck and then crashing.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:43:18 am »
+1

I have done this. It's reminded me of a hilarious game with ghost ships and possession. When I'd put green cards on top of my deck for a ghost ship attack I could sometimes work it so the opponent possessed the hand with those green cards. Better still through, my opponent was very cocky and thought he had set up a cunning golem+possession tactic, however he was actually pulling out ghost ship+possession with the golem and that was a supreme failure.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 03:12:47 pm »

I have done this. It's reminded me of a hilarious game with ghost ships and possession. When I'd put green cards on top of my deck for a ghost ship attack I could sometimes work it so the opponent possessed the hand with those green cards. Better still through, my opponent was very cocky and thought he had set up a cunning golem+possession tactic, however he was actually pulling out ghost ship+possession with the golem and that was a supreme failure.

I've played a number of people who pull off such tactics with Ghost ship, like Ghost Ship, then Knights. Thanks for discarding Estate Province.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 03:31:02 pm »

I've played a number of people who pull off such tactics with Ghost ship, like Ghost Ship, then Knights. Thanks for discarding Estate Province.
Ah, but Ghost ship then Saboteur or Fortune Teller or Knights after a couple of Highways are the in play could be really painful.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 04:53:49 pm »

Ah, but Ghost ship then Saboteur or Fortune Teller or Knights after a couple of Highways are the in play could be really painful.

But that's a totally different story.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 09:02:04 am »

Woah, this is weird. I was about to write that very line in my post, but it seems I decided not to for some reason. That line should have been appended to my post.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 10:22:54 am »

Woah, this is weird. I was about to write that very line in my post, but it seems I decided not to for some reason. That line should have been appended to my post.

Well I guess great minds think alike  8)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.