Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Math: How does it work?  (Read 12380 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Math: How does it work?
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:51:29 pm »
+5

I have to shake my head sometimes. I saw someone post on Facebook that there is a 40% chance of snowstorms. Sure enough there are snowstorms that day. He wondered lamentedly why couldn't he have such great luck with the lottery.

I'm going to tell him that the snowstorm just needed a 13+ for its saving throw. That should remind him that 40% is not that unlikely.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
Re: Math: How does it work?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:56:02 pm »
+3

This is less an issue with maths and more that people are just naturally VERY bad with probability.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:04:49 pm »

The amount of people that answer 7 – 4 + 3 x 0 + 1 incorrectly (and other similar order of operations problems) still amazes me.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:38:55 pm »

The amount of people that answer 7 – 4 + 3 x 0 + 1 incorrectly (and other similar order of operations problems) still amazes me.

It doesn't help that most people don't know BIDMAS (or BODMAS, or PIDMAS/PODMAS which I think you Americans prefer) should actually be applied as B I (DM) (AS), not B I D M A S. This only really matters for addition/subtraction problems, such as 7 - 4 + 3 (=6) as you do the addition/subtractions in the order written, not addition first.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 08:39:18 pm »

The fact that I originated that thread and this one indicates that I'm a really intolerant person.
A man has no signature

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 08:39:46 pm »
+2

I have to shake my head sometimes. I saw someone post on Facebook that there is a 40% chance of snowstorms. Sure enough there are snowstorms that day. He wondered lamentedly why couldn't he have such great luck with the lottery.

I'm going to tell him that the snowstorm just needed a 13+ for its saving throw. That should remind him that 40% is not that unlikely.

Another thing you could mention is that it's more likely that you will die on your way to the lottery than it is for you to win it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:41:58 pm »
+1

It doesn't help that most people don't know BIDMAS (or BODMAS, or PIDMAS/PODMAS which I think you Americans prefer) should actually be applied as B I (DM) (AS), not B I D M A S. This only really matters for addition/subtraction problems, such as 7 - 4 + 3 (=6) as you do the addition/subtractions in the order written, not addition first.

I never learned order of operations as one of those acronyms, and I speak out against those acronyms exactly for the reason you posted, Tables. They can lead someone to the wrong conclusion. When I learned order of operations, I was also taught that subtraction is really adding a negative number and that dividing is just multiplying an inverse. So, yeah, the acronym should really be BOMA or PEMA or some such. We need to teach kids that subtraction is not really different from addition.

Reason for edit: Can't arrange text for some reason.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:44:19 pm by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:06:17 pm »
+3

Reason for edit: Can't arrange text for some reason.

Perhaps a misleading acronym about the order to arrange text in would help?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 09:19:26 pm »

Strange, the acronym I learned was "BEDMAS" (E for Exponent), not BODMAS. Is the O for order or something?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 09:30:07 pm »

O stands for Orders [of power], yeah. It's either Indicies, Orders, Exponents as the second letter, and Brackets or Parenthesis first. And it always should have ended SA, not AS, if even used at all. But that doesn't roll off the tongue quite so well.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 09:31:09 pm »

Strange, the acronym I learned was "BEDMAS" (E for Exponent), not BODMAS. Is the O for order or something?

Meanwhile for me is wasn't an acronym but a mnemonic:  Please Pardon My Dear Aunt Sally.  (The second P was for Power.)

I was incredibly surprised to see acronyms with DMAS instead of MDAS because it instantly loses the parallelism of multiplication being repeated addition and division being repeated subtraction.

As always, though, order of operations can be decided entirely by parens; I don't actually know why we worry about order when any otherwise-ambiguous mathematical expression can be made unambiguous.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 09:34:30 pm »

(or BODMAS, or PIDMAS/PODMAS which I think you Americans prefer)
It's PEMDAS  ;D
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 09:36:03 pm »

Please Pardon Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. 

FIFY
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 09:46:15 pm »
+11

As always, though, order of operations can be decided entirely by parens; I don't actually know why we worry about order when any otherwise-ambiguous mathematical expression can be made unambiguous.

This.  The whole "7 – 4 + 3 x 0 + 1" thing is totally ridiculous to me because I feel like being ornery and putting parenthesis wherever I want just to make you wrong.  No self-respecting mathematician would ever put a string of numbers and operations together like that without parenthesis.  I also despise using the whole "x" symbol for multiplication, and that is another reason that the above problem was written by some pre-algebra student who was feeling clever but instead just displayed his own ignorance.  When writing multiplication on a computer I always use * (unless I am using LaTeX or some other program)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 09:48:54 pm »

I kind of feel like expressions such as the one in the other thread don't really matter..... order of operations isn't really THAT important, worst comes to worst you use unnecessary parenthenses. You never really see silly expressions such as 7 - 4 + 3 x 0 + 1, and in general expressions represent something. e.i., the value of the expression is something else in the word problem your doing, or some real life application. If you knew how to translate the problem into an expression, you know what order it is supposed to be evaluated in. And in general, it is more clear because multiplication isn't usually represented by an 'x', it is quite often just nothing. Division isn't usually a line with dots above and below it, it's often just a horizontal line. In cases like this it is clear what order it is meant to be done in, because if the division line has something with operators in it on either the top or the bottom, obviously those are supposed to be evaluated first, and if it's something like x + y/z (except the line is horizontal), you aren't going to be adding x and y before dividing by z. For multiplication, if it's something like x + yz it is clear you are supposed to multiply first, and if it's z(x + y) it is clear you are supposed to add first.

So the point is that in practice, it doesn't matter a whole lot if you know the order of operations. Just don't write things ambiguously.

PPE: e pretty much nailed it. Heh, I would hope so, with a name like e.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 09:51:07 pm »
+8

When writing multiplication on a computer I always use * (unless I am using LaTeX or some other program)

In non-TeX software, you can still insert a real multiplication sign with Alt-0215:  ×  This is a pixel or so higher, and is rotationally symmerical, which the small letter "x" is not in most typefaces.

But yes, the 7 - 2 + 5 x 0 - 4 or whatever boils down to this:

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 09:53:02 pm »
+2

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 09:54:22 pm »
+5

man, there's an xkcd for everything.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 09:56:48 pm »

man, there's an xkcd for everything.

xkcd is a gift that keeps on giving.  Well, it gives three days a week at least.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 10:09:27 pm »

This.  The whole "7 – 4 + 3 x 0 + 1" thing is totally ridiculous to me because I feel like being ornery and putting parenthesis wherever I want just to make you wrong.  No self-respecting mathematician would ever put a string of numbers and operations together like that without parenthesis.  I also despise using the whole "x" symbol for multiplication, and that is another reason that the above problem was written by some pre-algebra student who was feeling clever but instead just displayed his own ignorance.  When writing multiplication on a computer I always use * (unless I am using LaTeX or some other program)
On a computer, I'll expect to see * for multiplication. Written, I'll sometimes just see a dot in midair for multiplication. Even better, 3(2+5) is understood to mean 3*(2+5).

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 10:10:53 pm »

No self-respecting mathematician would ever put a string of numbers and operations together like that without parenthesis.
Depending on what you mean exactly with "like that", this is wrong. Of course, a mathematician wouldn't write this specific example, but there are enough examples which would be written without parentheses, because it's easier readable when you know how it works:

polynomials: a*x^2+b*x+c instead of (a*(x^2))+((b*x)+c)           -- (*)
logic: ¬A∧¬B→C→D∨E instead of ((¬A)∧(¬B))→(C→(D∨E))
lambda calculus: λx.λy.λz.xz(yz) instead of λx.(λy.(λz.((xz)(yz))))
and there are other examples

So there is definitely a good reason to omit parentheses when it's clear what you mean. I agree with others that it's not important to memorize the order of operations at a young age, but it's not an arbitrary rule just made to confuse people, either.

(*) [okay, usually this is written as ax2+bx+c which makes it easier to see what the order of operations is, but still there can be examples when you prefer the first one, for example when you have to write pure ASCII (e.g. in a e-mail) or when you have variables which might consist of more than one letter, like in computer science]

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 09:57:02 am »

That's a really good idea. There is a lot of psych and cognitive work out there showing people are really bad at interpreting percentages, but much better at interpreting the same information presented as frequencies. Percentages just aren't "natural". And compare that to winning the lottery is like rolling 20s on 6/6 dice in one shot.

Also, why was he lamenting that he WON the snow lottery?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 09:58:01 am »

On a tangent, the percentage for the forecast isn't all that meaningful, anyway. The percentage chance of precipitation = percentage chance precipitation will form TIMES the estimated coverage area.

So, it could be that a 40% chance of snow means there is a 100% chance just the north side of town gets snow. If that's the way storms usually blow through town, and you live on the south side, then your personal forecast of snow could be a much lower number.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 03:20:04 am »

On a tangent, the percentage for the forecast isn't all that meaningful, anyway. The percentage chance of precipitation = percentage chance precipitation will form TIMES the estimated coverage area.
Given a large enough area this would in many cases entail a violation of a Kolmogorov axiom.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 04:11:12 am »

In the Netherlands I believe the rain percentage is based on this simple formula:
(Number of times it rained on days with similar conditions / total # of days with similar conditions) * 100%

I don't know exactly what they mean with "similar conditions", but they're probably looking at pressure, temperature and a few other things.

So if there is a 40% chance of rain, it just means that it out of every 10 days in the past with similar conditions, it rained on 4 of them. The Netherlands are small enough that we don't really need to factor in coverage area for our national percentages; we just take averages and it's close enough.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.