Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Victory card that searches for victory cards; which one is the most interesting?  (Read 2493 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
+1

Option 1:

Homestead

Action/Victory - $3/$4
Worth 1VP
---
+2 Actions
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Put that in your hand and discard the other revealed cards.

Option 2:

Serf
Action/Victory - $4
Worth 1VP
---
+1 Action
+$1
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Put that in your hand and discard the other revealed cards.

Option 3:

Plantation
Action/Victory - $4/$5
Worth 1VP
---
+1 Action
+1 Card

I'd rather a $4 card most of all, but which of the ideas make the most interesting use of the "non terminal that draws either itself or a dud" mechanic?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 03:05:23 am by NoMoreFun »

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
+2

I think Plantation has +1 Card instead of +$1? Also, why is this not in the Variants-forum?

I think all cards are rather weak. As you said, you either draw itself or (often) a dud, which means that at the end of such a chain, you'll always draw at least one dud. I think option 1 wouldn't be too popular, even at $2 (although then it would be strictly better than Estate), Option 3 2 would probably be OK at $3, and Option 3 would probably be OK at $4 (I think I usually prefer Caravan, but OK, that's a strong $4). I like Option 3 best, as a nice sub-lab.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 03:18:34 am by florrat »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+1

I think Plantation has +1 Card instead of +$1? Also, why is this not in the Variants-forum?

Thanks for the corrections. I did mean to post this in the Variants forum; Mods can you please move it?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile

Doesn't Prefecture (by Fragasnap) qualify?  (from the Intrigue contest, same as Homestead)
Prefecture
Types: Action – Victory
Cost: $5
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. If you do, put it and one other revealed card into your hand. Discard the rest.

Worth 2 VP.

I don't really like serf, but it's a tough choice between the others.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:47:17 am by LibraryAdventurer »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

Is plantation too strong for $4? One of the best things a lab can draw is another lab, but it's  not going to happen until you have a few and the deal's off late game. I'm concerned it's too much better than great hall, although there are things like chancellor/scavenger.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

Doesn't Prefecture (by Fragasnap) qualify?  (from the Intrigue contest, same as Homestead)
Prefecture
Types: Action – Victory
Cost: $5
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. If you do, put it and one other revealed card into your hand. Discard the rest.

Worth 2 VP.

I don't really like serf, but it's a tough choice between the others.

Sort of but it's terminal. I like the card but it's not what I'm going for here. Prefecture is a self limiting Demonic tutor. My cards are just spins on existing cards that are more likely to draw themselves at the cost of drawing junk the rest of the time.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
+1

I think it would be interesting to have a one pile of 4 each like the knights
in a two player game you randomly choose 8 of them.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile

Is plantation too strong for $4? One of the best things a lab can draw is another lab, but it's  not going to happen until you have a few and the deal's off late game. I'm concerned it's too much better than great hall, although there are things like chancellor/scavenger.
Yeah, on second thought I think you're right. If you can trash your starting estates, these would get a real Hunting Party effect, which is strong, and the 1 VP is a nice non-negligible bonus. I think $5 would be okay.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile

On a second look at serf, I like it too.  When it draws itself, it's like adding a copper to your hand which then has the possibility of adding another (if you have another in your deck of course).
So I like all three.  Might be interesting to use RTT's idea to have one pile with four of each.

The think I still don't like about serf is the name.  Seems like a card called 'serf' shouldn't have VP on it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:30:34 pm by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.