Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Develop in a Non-Engine Game  (Read 1562 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Develop in a Non-Engine Game
« on: January 10, 2014, 04:03:42 pm »
+5

Code: [Select]
Develop, Menagerie, Feodum, Quarry, Salvager, Harvest, Horn of Plenty, Inn, Royal Seal, Bank
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140109/log.50ea2963e4b0429cfe091cec.1389330993261.txt

Overall this is a weak board.  The HoP mega turn is quickly ruled out by the only net +Card being Menagerie's +3 Card which can not trigger with duplicate HoP's.  Generic engine is also weak due to lack of good supporting engine cards in addition to low power trashing.

So this makes for a BM game.  This is significantly more interesting BM game than a Smithy-BM.  The opening buys are crucial here and I will saw that the optimal opening is in fact Feodum/Develop.  This combination has a high probability of hitting the Silver pinata.  Even if Develop comes in turn 3 you can simply Develop Estate in another Develop placing it on top of your deck.  In a normal BM game this opening would not be advisable because Develop would quickly become a dead card,  However this game also contains Bank!  Develop can trash Bank into a Province and a Gold allowing it to continue to be useful later in the game.  In the end it gains 5 Provinces and a Duchy by Turn 15 and my opponent suicides coming up 6 points short in his Turn 16.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Re: Develop in a Non-Engine Game
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 05:00:13 pm »
+2

This is a great board! It's not often you see Develop be such a key card.

I would have attempted a full-on Develop-Menagerie engine. Salvager and one HoP for buy/gain, and try to develop salvagers/quarries into Inn and Menagerie on deck in addition to Estates -> Menageries. One of each treasure gives you enough for double Province ($16), which is enough of an engine incentive for me. Harvest gives money, HoP into Province late, too.

Feodum gives the money player legs, though, too, and both players can develop Bank into Province/Gold, so it could be a good race. This looks fun.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:34:04 pm »

Now I'm interested if the Inn/Menagerie can be fast enough.  The trashing is weak but maybe it's doable.  Like you said, it'd be an interesting race.  I just don't know if you could hit the critical mass of cards needed early enough.  The Develop/BM person (I can't believe I just wrote that) is going to be getting green quickly and there are limited buys/gains that the engine player could conceivably get each turn.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 07:36:08 pm »
+9

I definitely think the engine is the way to go, I managed 7 Provinces in 13 turns (http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140110/log.51201cbee4b04e88c8da4f9a.1389400067718.txt) and I'm certain that this could be fine tuned to be a little faster as well.

There are so many nice interactions for the engine. There's no need to be afraid of gaining multiple HoP, Banks or whatever, just discard your extra copies with Inn and draw them back later. Or you can gain multiples of the big treasures and Salvage them in the middle of your turn if you need to get rid of a duplicate (I didn't do this aggressively enough in my game). The light trashing plus Inn is enough to make Menagerie a powerhouse. HoP can gain expensive fuel for Salvager, the engine can make better use of the Develop/Bank synergy than the BM player. I don't think there's any competition from the Develop/Feodum thing.

Really cool kingdom.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:52:18 pm »

remind me how to do solitaire?
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 04:14:03 pm »
+1

remind me how to do solitaire?
In Secret Chamber.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.