Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 58  All

Author Topic: MXXXIX: Adventure Time! Mafia (Town Wins on D5!)  (Read 129859 times)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: MXXXIX: Adventure Time! Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2014, 11:26:24 am »

I think we should lynch one of the new guys just to help him grow the thick skin he's gonna need moving forward.

Vote: Andrew

Thick skin? Yeah I need an online forum game for that, thanks.

Yes I'm new and I could be wrong but I don't see how a post like Robz's post could be considered either townie or scummy. Both town and scum are capable of posting something like that. I guess you guys know the kind of stuff he does during games but he knows that too and can adjust accordingly. PPS's logic is just as good as anyone else's right now, at least in my mind.

That said, everyone knows Axxle better than me so maybe you can clue me in but I feel like he's trying too hard to seem town.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2014, 02:19:38 pm »

I think PPS's post was a joke, although watching how people react to jokes is a big part of the early game. Getting super-defensive right away isn't exactly super townie.

What exactly did Axxle post that seems like he's "trying too hard"? Not trying to be aggressive, just asking for something specific.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2014, 02:52:34 pm »

I think PPS's post was a joke, although watching how people react to jokes is a big part of the early game. Getting super-defensive right away isn't exactly super townie.

What exactly did Axxle post that seems like he's "trying too hard"? Not trying to be aggressive, just asking for something specific.

Yeah it's a joke, but it's not the first time I've heard "thick skin" be mentioned in the same breath as mafia and I think it's silly.

Again, I have no experience with what is "scummy" or "townie" but Axxle's erratic posting and constant joking about being scum is obviously to get some sort of response. Would it be scummy to cast early suspicion on yourself so as not to be considered scummy later?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2014, 04:19:47 pm »

I feel like jokes are pretty null in general. Town does it to get the game going, scum does it to seem townie. You learn more from people's reactions than from any of the joking.

My point wasn't that he made a joke, but rather what his joke was about and the historical context of it. Making a joke doesn't really signify anything, but the context of the joke I think can.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2014, 05:51:36 pm »

Okay, so looking at the players in the game, I have a few questions for the people I don't know.

1.  Eevee - no questions here, he's fuzzy and adorable
2.  scott_pilgrim - I don't know you, can you please give a brief recap of your previous mafia experience whether it be in person or online
3.  Robz888 - no questions
4.  mail-mi - no questions
5.  yuma - no questions
6.  mcmcsalot - no questions
7.  A Drowned Kernel - I think you were showing up as I was leaving but I don't remember much, can I get a recap from you too, please?
8.  pingpongsam - I don't believe our paths ever crossed but I think you were around here before I was.  No questions just yet.
9.  raerae - nada
10. AndrewisFTTW - You are completely new to me, recap please?
11. shraeye - no questions
12. Axxle - no questions

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2014, 06:01:21 pm »

2.  scott_pilgrim - I don't know you, can you please give a brief recap of your previous mafia experience whether it be in person or online

This is my third game here (I'm also in Diffusion of Powers and Super Mario Mafia, both of which are still going).  I've also played IRL a few times.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2014, 06:23:28 pm »

Recap? Hi, I'm Andrew! This is my first mafia game ever and It probably shows. Anything else you would like to know just ask!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2014, 06:24:10 pm »

I've been on the forums for ages as a semi-lurker, I just started mafia a few weeks ago though. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've played mafia IRL but usually at parties where people are drunk so never in a very serious context. I'm in one other game right now, Super Mario, and that one is my first forum game. Anything else you'd like to know?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2014, 08:43:02 pm »

Soon, my new friends, soon I will ask more questions...

In the meantime, vets! Who's meta's changed in the last six months?  Is Yuma still unreadable?  Is robz still full of hate and fun and vinegar?  Is Eevee still everybody's buddy?

Scott (do you have different name f.ds people call you?  calling you by a real name feels weird), why are you defending Eevee in this post?  Do you make a habit of defending other players so early or just your partners?

In Eevee's defense, I didn't read him as being nervous, and I also don't think being nervous is really scummy.  I do find it odd though that he would first question whether nervousness is scummy, then say he wasn't nervous.  Actually if he hadn't later said that he wasn't actually nervous, I would think that was scummy, because that demonstrates an unawareness of how he is perceived, but since he did later say that he was never nervous...I'm just confused.  I think Eevee was confused?  I don't really think it's indicative of anything.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2014, 08:52:30 pm »

Yeah it's a joke, but it's not the first time I've heard "thick skin" be mentioned in the same breath as mafia and I think it's silly.

Again, I have no experience with what is "scummy" or "townie" but Axxle's erratic posting and constant joking about being scum is obviously to get some sort of response.
This is just how I post.
Would it be scummy to cast early suspicion on yourself so as not to be considered scummy later?
I've heard that scum that get suspected early sometimes get a free pass to the endgame. It's hearsay though and I don't know if scum has ever purposefully done it.

shraeye: vote for someone.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:53 pm »

Again, I have no experience with what is "scummy" or "townie" but Axxle's erratic posting and constant joking about being scum is obviously to get some sort of response. Would it be scummy to cast early suspicion on yourself so as not to be considered scummy later?

That question.  By asking it, what information are you trying to learn?  Is it rhetorical?

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2014, 09:21:12 pm »

Scott (do you have different name f.ds people call you?  calling you by a real name feels weird), why are you defending Eevee in this post?  Do you make a habit of defending other players so early or just your partners?

In Eevee's defense, I didn't read him as being nervous, and I also don't think being nervous is really scummy.  I do find it odd though that he would first question whether nervousness is scummy, then say he wasn't nervous.  Actually if he hadn't later said that he wasn't actually nervous, I would think that was scummy, because that demonstrates an unawareness of how he is perceived, but since he did later say that he was never nervous...I'm just confused.  I think Eevee was confused?  I don't really think it's indicative of anything.

Well, if they are being accused of being scummy when I don't think they've done anything scummy, I'll point that out.  I'm not saying I'm committed to defending Eevee in general, I'm just saying I find what he did there to be null (in contrast to the people who perceived it as scummy).

Scott is not my IRL name, if that makes you feel better?  (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is an awesome movie that I chose my username after.)  Or you can call me SP, that's not a "normal" name.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2014, 09:45:15 pm »

Aw naw, you're scotty forever to me now.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2014, 09:47:49 pm »

I've heard that scum that get suspected early sometimes get a free pass to the endgame. It's hearsay though and I don't know if scum has ever purposefully done it.

I believe it is a general truth and see D1 of the newly completed "Diffusion of Power" where it was purposely done to great effect.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2014, 10:05:24 pm »

That question.  By asking it, what information are you trying to learn?  Is it rhetorical?

I just thought it would be helpful to learn common strategies and things to look for but I guess there are other places I can learn stuff like that.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2014, 10:09:04 pm »

We'll give you strategies but you have to pinkie promise that you're not mafia.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2014, 10:11:52 pm »

We'll give you strategies but you have to pinkie promise that you're not mafia.

Really? The game is that easy?  ;)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2014, 10:20:40 pm »

Vote Count 1.5:

shraeye (2): raerae, Axxle
Axxle (1): AndrewisFTTW
raerae (1): Eevee
yuma (1): mail-mi
AndrewisFTTW (1): pingpongsam

Not Voting (6): scott_pilgrim, Robz888, yuma, mcmcsalot, shraeye, A Drowned Kernel

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.

Day 1 ends at 4:30 p.m. on February 26, 2014.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2014, 08:32:48 am »

We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2014, 01:19:25 pm »

btw, this is rhetorical. Shraeye is just trying to make the new player look scummy for asking for scumhunting advice. Both trying to get people to target him and discouraging asking these kinds of questions.
Confirm vote: shraeye

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2014, 02:38:16 pm »

btw, this is rhetorical. Shraeye is just trying to make the new player look scummy for asking for scumhunting advice. Both trying to get people to target him and discouraging asking these kinds of questions.
Confirm vote: shraeye

Hm. That's a good point. vote: shraeye
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »

It is an interesting question though... because it is what I would consider a higher thinking sort of question. Not that a new player couldn't have such a higher question (they obviously can and do!) but it is something that has only recently for f.ds mafia become even a point of discussion... so it does make me wonder if it is possible that andrew is partners with someone who mentioned something along the lines in a QT to introduce him to the concept and is now asking for more.

Andrew what made you want to ask the question?

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2014, 03:03:19 pm »

It is an interesting question though... because it is what I would consider a higher thinking sort of question. Not that a new player couldn't have such a higher question (they obviously can and do!) but it is something that has only recently for f.ds mafia become even a point of discussion... so it does make me wonder if it is possible that andrew is partners with someone who mentioned something along the lines in a QT to introduce him to the concept and is now asking for more.

Andrew what made you want to ask the question?

I don't think it's higher thinking, it's just something that I thought was a real possibility in this game. I saw Axxle joking about being scum (if my memory is correct) and I thought maybe he's trying to make people overlook him. Not that I think he is scum necessarily, but I just wanted to see if anyone else thought that was a possibility.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2014, 03:12:53 pm »

Deliberately casting suspicion on yourself seems like the sort of thing that could really easily backfire, though. Both because you might not be able to shake it off and get lynched right away, and later in the game people are probably going to remember the suspicions they had first most clearly. It seems less likely that people are going to be like "Oh, I suspected so-and-so earlier but then we decided that they were actually townie, so let's not consider them again" than "Oh, remember when so-and-so was scummy back at the beginning of the game? Let's lynch them!"

As a deliberate gambit on scum's part it seems pretty risky, and I think most scum would be more likely to want to play it safe. I guess it depends on the scum, though.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2014, 03:29:05 pm »

I really like the way Andrew is thinking, but "trying to see if anyone else thought this could be scummy" is definitely a scumtell.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 58  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.