Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Please Do Not Say "GG" Before the Game Is Actually, Literally Over  (Read 32095 times)

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Please Do Not Say "GG" Before the Game Is Actually, Literally Over
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2013, 06:40:33 pm »

Amazed to see so many different opinions on this thing. I also treat gg as a common courtesy at end of game, but often people leave so quick anyway. If you're badly beaten then one is often tempted to just scurry away- I know I have hesitated to type gg when I feel luck has gone against me. But do people think it is or is not rude to just type nothing? In most games/ sports competitors have a hand shake. Would wp be a better "digital handshake"? I go the assumption that whilst a full sentence will probably be the nicest option for the minor social nicety we are discussing anyway, most will not have the time (or inclination) to fully type out a considered end of game platitude.   

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2013, 07:05:52 pm »

I think, the majority tends to write gg and expects gg, for different reasons maybe. Most of us have felt we got really bad luck or just have had bad days and not typed gg, so most useful is probably to write gg and when someone doesn't, this:

I would recommend to everyone (myself included) to try and not be annoyed by these small things.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12890
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2013, 02:21:53 am »
+1

Amazed to see so many different opinions on this thing. I also treat gg as a common courtesy at end of game, but often people leave so quick anyway. If you're badly beaten then one is often tempted to just scurry away- I know I have hesitated to type gg when I feel luck has gone against me. But do people think it is or is not rude to just type nothing? In most games/ sports competitors have a hand shake. Would wp be a better "digital handshake"? I go the assumption that whilst a full sentence will probably be the nicest option for the minor social nicety we are discussing anyway, most will not have the time (or inclination) to fully type out a considered end of game platitude.
I think it is rude to leave without saying gg first. I don't think that wp would be a better "digital handshake", because that's actually useful for its literal meaning.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2013, 09:39:03 am »
+1

if you're playing on an ipad you can't chat at all.  I like to assume that players who don't chat can't chat.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1858
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2013, 02:42:22 am »

if you're playing on an ipad you can't chat at all.  I like to assume that players who don't chat can't chat.

Thanks for pointing this out. I played goko on my tablet last night and was embarrassed not to be able to say gg -- hope no one was offended!

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2013, 05:47:51 am »

I think it is rude to leave without saying gg first. I don't think that wp would be a better "digital handshake", because that's actually useful for its literal meaning.

I don't think it's rude; if nobody said it already (unless it is intended, of course - 'I left fast do deny him gg'). It's a bit rude/awkward if opponent had already said it.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2013, 07:53:52 am »
+10

I always say gg every turn, sometimes multiple times per turn.  You ppl are all crazy.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2013, 06:17:42 pm »
+9

I always say gg every turn, sometimes multiple times per turn.  You ppl are all crazy.

I always say it in reverse, though.  So gg, not gg.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2013, 02:51:53 pm »

Maybe they're just starting a casual conversation during the turns.  Like, "Hey, this is a good game.  I'm glad we're playing it."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.