Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Thread to organize telling Goko they're wrong  (Read 30196 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Thread to organize telling Goko they're wrong
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2013, 04:18:47 pm »

What if we replace the rating system with apples? After every game, 1 apple is distributed between all the winners. I don't think anyone would say that's unfair.
But that would mean you could get an infinite amount of apples by playing an infinite amount of games.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2013, 04:19:56 pm »

The current rating system doesn't have a unit specified. It's possible we're all currently rated in apples.

That's a lotta apples. In fact, I don't have much incentive to increase my rating anymore; I've already got enough apples to last me for several years. Apples have pretty significant diminishing marginal returns for me.

Well, you don't actually have those apples. My Dominion skill is worth about 6500 apples, give or take, but I can't sell my Dominion skill, so I can't actually access the apples.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2013, 04:50:23 pm »
+3

Well, you don't actually have those apples. My Dominion skill is worth about 6500 apples, give or take, but I can't sell my Dominion skill, so I can't actually access the apples.

It's like having a blue dog but not being able to walk it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2013, 04:54:55 pm »

There's a Cards Against Humanity joke just lurking in here somewhere.  I can't quite find it though.

And this is usually a family-friendly forum.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2013, 07:52:17 am »

If I may be forgiven for returning to the original topic...

Could I persuade a few of you to go click that you like this idea: https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/sort_list_of_player_names?rfm=1

It's a one-line fix, so I'm thinking (hoping) it'll get done quickly if we bring it to their attention.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:05 am »

Could I persuade a few of you to go click that you like this idea: https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/sort_list_of_player_names?rfm=1

It's a one-line fix, so I'm thinking (hoping) it'll get done quickly if we bring it to their attention.

Done. It would be nice if the list of players was sorted. Of course, it would also be nice if the player base wasn't divided into so many small, theme-less rooms.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2013, 09:42:48 am »

Sorting by (pro) rating is another good idea.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2013, 10:18:01 am »
+1

Sorting by (pro) rating is another good idea.
Or even showing Pro ranking:
https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/display_pro_rating_by_default_in_player_list
+1 this too please.

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2013, 11:27:09 am »

Done. It would be nice if the list of players was sorted. Of course, it would also be nice if the player base wasn't divided into so many small, theme-less rooms.

Done. It would also be nice if the lobby seems to look like a real lobby as in a lot of online gaming !

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1385
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2013, 06:16:25 pm »

It wouldn't be nonsensical to make a "shared victory" better than a "tie". If you think of a win as 1 point, a tie as 0 points, and a loss as -1 points, then a "shared victory" could be worth something in between 0 and 1 (or even equal to 1).
This actually happens in England's top cricket league, the County Championship - a tie (the team batting fourth was all out exactly one run short of its victory target) is worth more points than a draw (the game ran out of time with no other result achieved). Not that it really matters, seeing as ties effectively never happen.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2013, 07:41:57 pm »

It wouldn't be nonsensical to make a "shared victory" better than a "tie". If you think of a win as 1 point, a tie as 0 points, and a loss as -1 points, then a "shared victory" could be worth something in between 0 and 1 (or even equal to 1).
This actually happens in England's top cricket league, the County Championship - a tie (the team batting fourth was all out exactly one run short of its victory target) is worth more points than a draw (the game ran out of time with no other result achieved). Not that it really matters, seeing as ties effectively never happen.

Anyone who follows football/soccer can attest to a tie being worth more than loss as well.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2013, 10:13:59 pm »
+1

I think in most games and sports, a tie is better than a loss. 

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2013, 10:29:59 pm »

I wish I could give +5 to every post in this win-loss-tie debate.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2013, 11:05:53 am »

The main problem with the fact that you lose points for a tie is that a non-existing matchmaking system makes you play against players with whom you possibly lose a few hundred points in a tie.

I'd rather have ties not count for anyone until that changed, because it feels weird. :>
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2013, 12:06:26 pm »

The main problem with the fact that you lose points for a tie is that a non-existing matchmaking system makes you play against players with whom you possibly lose a few hundred points in a tie.

I'd rather have ties not count for anyone until that changed, because it feels weird. :>

You don't have to play games against lower ranked players, you know.  Or at least not against very low ranked players.  In the meantime, again, I so worked exactly the same way, it just didn't show up instantly.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2013, 12:13:38 pm »

No, but I sure have better things to do with my free time than sitting ten minutes in my hosted game and kicking person after person until someone around 6k points shows up, all while those guys yell at me "hurr durr, why kick, he?", "hurr durr, no kick please", "hurr durr, gogo, kekekeke no kick, hurr durr" and "****ing stop kicking me ****ing pi**face and start the stupid game, you retarded retard *ucktard." Sure, not everyone acts that way, but in those ten minutes usually at least one of these guys shows up, and usually I have to kick him 10-40 times until he gives up.

Experience might differ in your timezone.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:16:13 pm by Schlippy »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2013, 12:17:24 pm »

Yeah, that's been nowhere near my experience, ever.  You put a 5k+ or something in your game name, right?

Schlippy

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2013, 12:37:56 pm »

Yes, but only when I feel like I care. More often than not I name it "all cards" and start the game without looking at the other players stats because I just wanna play instead of waiting and kicking people. And it is not like I could grab a coffee or something while waiting, because then you come back and some 3000pts guy has been blocking the slot for two minutes. :>

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2467
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2013, 01:19:50 pm »

No, but I sure have better things to do with my free time than sitting ten minutes in my hosted game and kicking person after person until someone around 6k points shows up, all while those guys yell at me "hurr durr, why kick, he?", "hurr durr, no kick please", "hurr durr, gogo, kekekeke no kick, hurr durr" and "****ing stop kicking me ****ing pi**face and start the stupid game, you retarded retard *ucktard." Sure, not everyone acts that way, but in those ten minutes usually at least one of these guys shows up, and usually I have to kick him 10-40 times until he gives up.

Experience might differ in your timezone.

I have had that problem a couple of times. Once, the person immediately rejoined each time after I kicked him, as if he were expecting to be kicked and had his cursor pointed right over the table thing. Another time I had an under 4K player tell me they were good and please let them play after I kicked them about 5 times. And, I have experienced what you have quite often. Decline of civility on Goko. lol

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2013, 03:35:25 pm »

I will say though, I'll typically accept any forumite no matter their rating if I recognize their name.  Of course, most forumites are already above 5k rating anyway...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2013, 03:56:07 pm »
+1

Heh... just now had someone at the start of the game suggest I must have quit a lot to get my rating (5700) and particularly record (411-188), which was interesting.  I then... well, I feel bad about really thrashing him, but he went Tribute on 5/2 with Ghost Ship on the board...

Anyway, I decided to see if adventures and bot play counted in the record as well as the rating.  And it turns out they do!  So something like 150 of those wins are from the adventures, which really, really, really shouldn't count.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 1.93 seconds with 22 queries.