Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 69  All

Author Topic: RMM12: Time War Mafia (Game Over - Town + Survivor win!)  (Read 157263 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: RMM12: Time War Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2013, 12:12:13 am »

I like nothing about Ash's claim. If you're going to claim D1, you'd better have a cogent, well-argued case for it being pro-town. He doesn't.

I would be ok with lynching him D1, but I also see the case for waiting a bit.

If he is scum, xeiron is his partner. He did the chainsaw thingy. I think, might be wrong on the lingo, it's been a while, but he started the Archetype wagon to distract from my ashersky vote.

Those are the lynches I support right now.

You've been gone awhile.  I'm fairly certain there will be nothing whatsoever about my play that you will like, unless you are scum.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2013, 12:46:37 am »

I like nothing about Ash's claim. If you're going to claim D1, you'd better have a cogent, well-argued case for it being pro-town. He doesn't.

I would be ok with lynching him D1, but I also see the case for waiting a bit.

If he is scum, xeiron is his partner. He did the chainsaw thingy. I think, might be wrong on the lingo, it's been a while, but he started the Archetype wagon to distract from my ashersky vote.

Those are the lynches I support right now.

I have the exact opposite view as you, actually.

Scum, more likely than town, are the ones who make sure all their ducks are in a row before a claim.  "I'm going to claim X, back it up with Y and Z.." so it looks like their claim was "correct", or whatever people will judge it to be.

I still don't think Ashersky's claim by itself was entirely helpful to town.  It's not like he presented us with some astonishing new information that will help us catch scum (at the very least, not today).  But, if you examine the claim as a way to kickstart the game, get people voicing real opinions, it's been very successful.  We've had real conservation since the first hour of this game, something that often takes a few days to take place.  And this conversation is pro-town.

If you look at the claim more as, "What the hell, let's say something to get the game started", instead of "I've analyzed my PM and come to the conclusion that the town needs to know what I know", which I think it is, Ash comes off looking very towny from where I stand.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2013, 12:48:02 am »

Scum wouldn't fake claim without that cogent, well-argued case.  (Well, if any scum would, it's Ash.. haha.  But I don't think he is).  Town is more likely to do so.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2013, 12:50:30 am »

Vote Count 1.3

sudgy (2): ashersky, Walrus
Archetype (3): Jimmmmm, faust, xeiron
xeiron (3): jotheonah, Archetype, sudgy

Not voting (6): 2.7..., chairs, EFHW, Galzria, nkirbit, pingpongsam

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.

D1 ends on Friday, December 27 at 530 PM forum time (two days added due to the original deadline falling on Christmas)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 20, 2013, 01:18:25 am »

unvote
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 20, 2013, 05:16:05 am »

I voted ashersky. The archetype wagon, which has scum written all over it, sprung up almost immediately thereafter. Xeiron started it, with the flimsiest of reasons.
Three RVS-votes, my post, and then two more RVS, including jimm voting twice.
Why is there written scum all over that wagon?

I am also not sure in what degree I started the wagon. I am among the second half of the voters, and Sudgy and jimm who voted after me seems to vote not because of my vote, but because they saw a pontential to make jokes from Archetypes answers.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2013, 06:38:53 am »

I voted ashersky. The archetype wagon, which has scum written all over it, sprung up almost immediately thereafter. Xeiron started it, with the flimsiest of reasons.

I am also not sure in what degree I started the wagon. I am among the second half of the voters, and Sudgy and jimm who voted after me seems to vote not because of my vote, but because they saw a pontential to make jokes from Archetypes answers.

It's hard to classify the 4th, 5th and 6th votes on a wagon as RVS.

2.718 and EFHW RVS'd. I'm still not so sure Jimmmmm was RVS as the 3rd vote in. Your 4th vote was just ambiguous enough to pass as RVS while still getting you in early in case a wagon built which it did and on which you have stayed. If it was so RVS of you why are you still on there?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2013, 06:43:57 am »

Apologies on reread I see you were the 5th vote after faust. And you still claim as the 5th voter you were still just RVSing... despite reinforcing your vote with an "I'm serious"?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2013, 06:51:19 am »

Starting a wagon isn't being the 1st vote on and often not the 2nd when it is D1 RVS. 3rd is arguable but come on, 4th and up is "starting a wagon". You were emphatically interested in seeing a wagon built on Archetype and your standing vote confirms that. faust is the only standing vote that has any solid reasoning behind it. You have provided no basis whatsoever for your vote. What is your interpretation of ashersky's claim with regards to your perception of his alignment?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2013, 08:26:52 am »

Tree stumps. 
Even though they are "dead" they could still be useful.  Now, chairs, do you know if your alignment will be mod-confirmed when you become a tree stump?  because if that is the case, you will be a virtual IC, except you can't vote and are already "dead."  However, that might be useful to us to have your reads as an IC.  Not so sure that you becoming a tree stump is a terrible thing.  I mean, it could even protect you for a while and then maybe there is a role that has the power on N3 or something to bring you back.  I wouldn't put it past the setup.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 20, 2013, 08:39:55 am »

You keep using that acronym. I do not think it means what you think it means.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2013, 09:32:20 am »

Well, this starts to get fun.

I agree with e (I think?) that chairs' claim is too ridiculous to be fake. But chairs, maybe you could also flavor claim, in case that helps us find a "cure" for you?

I like ash's claim. Maybe I just like people trying out crazy stuff. I think we should let him live at least for today. As he himself says, things might be clearer tomorrow.

pps seems his usual self which always gives me a slightly scummy vibe, but has ended up on the town side in the games I played with him.

I'm still fine with my vote on Archetype as I didn't see any actions scummy enough to make me move my vote. That the wagon on him grew so quickly is interesting, but I don't think it's scum who pushed him. That's by the "early wagons don't succeed"-argument.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 20, 2013, 09:48:24 am »

I'm still fine with my vote on Archetype as I didn't see any actions scummy enough to make me move my vote. That the wagon on him grew so quickly is interesting, but I don't think it's scum who pushed him. That's by the "early wagons don't succeed"-argument.

So you're saying that your vote on Archetype was RVS ... but you're not unvoting because no one else is scummy enough? You know you can just unvote without moving your vote, right?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 20, 2013, 09:52:21 am »

So you're saying that your vote on Archetype was RVS ... but you're not unvoting because no one else is scummy enough? You know you can just unvote without moving your vote, right?

My vote was not RVS. Other than that, of course I can just unvote, but I think it's good if my vote is out there and causing some interactions.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 20, 2013, 11:09:38 am »

2.718 and EFHW RVS'd. I'm still not so sure Jimmmmm was RVS as the 3rd vote in. Your 4th vote was just ambiguous enough to pass as RVS while still getting you in early in case a wagon built which it did and on which you have stayed. If it was so RVS of you why are you still on there?

PPS are you maybe mixing up xeiron and faust?  xeiron gave a reason for his vote.  faust did not.  xeiron said "not RVS", didn't try to pass it off as that.  I don't see where faust did, either, actually.  I'm concerned you may be scum trying to create confusion.

Also, I never voted for Arch at all.  Just sudgy.

I didn't get the jokes re: Jimmmmmm's and sudgy's votes, but now that xeiron mentions it, I can see it's possible.  Jimmmmmm and sudgy please clarify why you voted!

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 20, 2013, 11:12:09 am »

Tree stumps. 
Even though they are "dead" they could still be useful.  Now, chairs, do you know if your alignment will be mod-confirmed when you become a tree stump?  because if that is the case, you will be a virtual IC, except you can't vote and are already "dead."  However, that might be useful to us to have your reads as an IC.  Not so sure that you becoming a tree stump is a terrible thing.  I mean, it could even protect you for a while and then maybe there is a role that has the power on N3 or something to bring you back.  I wouldn't put it past the setup.

This is a really good point.  We could probably confirm his status D2 by having him vote and seeing if it shows up in the vote count.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 20, 2013, 11:28:50 am »

PPS are you maybe mixing up xeiron and faust?  xeiron gave a reason for his vote.  faust did not.  xeiron said "not RVS", didn't try to pass it off as that.  I don't see where faust did, either, actually.  I'm concerned you may be scum trying to create confusion.

Also, I never voted for Arch at all.  Just sudgy.

I didn't get the jokes re: Jimmmmmm's and sudgy's votes, but now that xeiron mentions it, I can see it's possible.  Jimmmmmm and sudgy please clarify why you voted!

Xeiron's "reason" wasn't a reason as I define a reason. It was a preemptive strike. Preemptive strikes are good for drawing out reactions whereby a reason can be formed. The preemptive strike is not in and of itself a reasoning. Preemptive strikes as a wagon forming vote that remains after the RVS voters rescind look really scummy to me and make good reasons for votes on xeiron which never occured preemptively to begin with.

faust stated that his vote on archetype was due to his perception that ashersky may well be Town and Archetetype was using the claim to get him lynched especially if ashersky does enable Town. Here, Archetype made the preemptive strike on ashersky. faust used reasoning to determine that the behavior deserved a vote. I publicly stated that I understood faust's vote because Archetype was directly confronting what I perceived at the time to be pro-town play.

No, I don't think I'm getting the 2 confused, I think we are reading them entirely differently.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 20, 2013, 12:18:22 pm »

Vote count please.

Intent to vote for xeiron.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 20, 2013, 12:19:27 pm »

Nevermind on vote count, I missed the one earlier on page.

vote: xeiron

I think the overall argument for xeiron's lynch is more than reasonable.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 20, 2013, 01:01:39 pm »

@pps:  I do agree, as I said before, that xeiron's vote was poorly justified.  I think I get what you are saying about preemptive strike, but I'm not sure.  You are saying his vote was a tactic 1. to distract from ashersky and 2. give momentum to an Archetype wagon without giving a different kind of reason.  What makes the "warning: he's lining up lynches" reason different from and scummier than other (not very good) reasons he might have given?

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 20, 2013, 01:03:47 pm »

Nevermind on vote count, I missed the one earlier on page.

vote: xeiron

I think the overall argument for xeiron's lynch is more than reasonable.

chairs please say more.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2013, 02:07:26 pm »

I'm barely off the first page, but since Ash claimed so early, I'll put down my thoughts now. Some of these may have been addressed further on, but I'd rather not have clouded judgement when expressing myself.

First, the claim:

-- "Enabler, that almost certainly enables town"

This is a very different situation than I had in MC, and I'm not comfortable with the comparisons that Ash draws between the two. I had neither knowledge of the role that I enabled, nor of the alignment of that role. As I was forced to make a guess regarding the alignment of the player whom I enabled, my claiming was not -strictly- bad for town. Rather, to clarify, my death was not strictly bad for town.

By that I mean that there were two situations that I was aware of being possible:

{Me} --- {Scum}
{Me} --- {Town}

Obviously, being town myself in MC, the second situation was a disaster. I was telling scum that not only could they kill me (someone they knew to be town), but in doing so they were effectively taking out a PR. In the first situation however, I felt like I was a detriment to the town to keep alive. I was essentially a VT-, instead of a VT+. My dilemma in MC was that I didn't know which situation I was in.

Now, back to this game. Ash has claimed that, having "created" (first used on f.ds) the role of 'Enabler', he's best equipped to judge how it should be played. He's said that he felt that I played it optimally, and that (Arch?) played it sub-optimally in MC. But our roles in MC, as I have shown above, were very different to what Ash has claimed here. Here, he's claimed to KNOW that he's in situation #2 above. And that leaves me at a loss from a town standpoint... because you're essentially telling scum (who, unless we're dealing with multiple scum, know that you're town) that you control town PR's, and that removing you from the game knocks out those PR's.

So what conclusions do I come to regarding the claim?

Well, there's a few things.

#1. Ash may be lying.
- This could be about what he Enables, who he Enables, or about what his role is entirely. For any number of reasons, he could very well be trying to draw a NK. He hasn't advocated his own lynch, which, given the exact nature of his claim makes sense (compared to me in MC anyway). "Town should never lie" isn't exactly always true. There are times, albeit rare, when that rule can and should be broken. But one must tread VERY carefully in doing so, and put a LOT of thought into it ahead of time.

#2. Ash could be trying to draw night protection, given that he could power multiple roles.
- This is dangerous, as we have an IC in our midst. Although there's an interesting game of 'cat-and-mouse' that could be played with time travel (I need to review how that mechanic works. I haven't looked at it since I /in'd way back when) in that, if scum kills the IC on, say, N1, then a time traveling doctor could go back and save them from N2, and they would be alive again on D3 (I think that's how it works....? Again, I'll need to review). Still, from a Town!Ash perspective, given that he couldn't know that we would have an IC announcement made, any plans he came up with on N0 regarding claiming and option #2 would, I think, be put on hold for at least a little while following the opening flavor while he chewed over the correctness of the claim.

#3. Ash is trying to get scum to WIFOM town.
- This is one I think that he's claimed to be the case, but really feels like a stretch to me. The premise goes, if I'm correct, that "I'm town, and I enable town. Scum want me dead, but they would rather see me lynched then wasted a NK on me. Thus by claiming, I make myself an obvious scum target N1... and in doing so, give them the option to NOT kill me, in the hopes of trying to get me lynched D2 on the theory that 'scum would've killed town!Ash N1, thus Ash's survival must mean he's scum'".

Whew, that's a mouthful. Umm.... maybe? It just feels really, really weak to me. Put another way, if what Ash claims is 100% accurate,and I had that role, then under no circumstances would I EVER, EVER feel that playing to option number 3 here was in ANY way optimal. Ever.

#4. Ash is scum.
- I suppose maybe this falls under #1, but it seems better to give it it's own piece. In the last game I played with Ash, Dynasty Warriors 1, he claimed very early on D1 to help us out with the setup. He took a lot of flak for it, but in general I supported the claim. As an IC myself in that setup, it allowed me to focus my thoughts throughout the game in a "If Ash is town then..." and "If Ash is scum then..." light. Our Vig stepping up to shoot him N1, while also controversial, was terrific. I digress some though - my point is that Ash knows a few things to be true: A) I'm a huge proponent of "solve the setup" Mafia. I think that he generally is as well. B) Ash is constantly aware of his town Meta's. B) While "Solve-the-setup" is one of town's greatest tools, "confuse-the-hell-out-of-town" is one of Scum's. Claiming "Town that Enables Town" is just a hard pill to swallow as being "pro-town" in any way. Thus every instinct in me says "It's not. Ash is trying to pull something". And maybe he is. The problem is... is he scum or town? If scum, he knows this brings attention to himself... but in MC that wasn't a bad thing, as scum had their own "Godfather granter" role... maybe there's something similar here?

I don't know. And point #3 keeps getting away from me because, well, I don't know. I guess the best I can describe my feelings on the claim are... "If 100% accurate, it makes no sense whatsoever from a town standpoint. Thus I'm forced to assume that it isn't true. Given then, that I don't believe the claim for what it is, which part of the claim do I NOT believe most?"

I'm not sure. But I think the 4 options above cover most of the spectrum of my feelings on it.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2013, 03:21:04 pm »

What makes the "warning: he's lining up lynches" reason different from and scummier than other (not very good) reasons he might have given?

The substantial lack of evidence. It's one thing to submit to the public the rumination what ashersky might be doing. It's another thing to make it the basis for a momentum vote without prior reasoning to substantiate it. I'm still withholding judgement on xeiron until he can actually respond to some of the discourse surrounding him. I asked him several direct questions this morning and made some pointed allegations while I was at it.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2013, 03:27:41 pm »

Galzria, that was a good extrapolation, but missing a conclusion. What does all that say about ash and whether we should lynch him?

He/him

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 20, 2013, 04:08:49 pm »

Your mod will be on limited access from now through 12/29. I will be checking in at least twice a day, but vote counts/thread locking/etc. may be delayed. I have not heard from mail-mi regarding his upcoming availability, so if anyone wants to volunteer to help out with vote counts, please PM me.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 69  All

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 16 queries.