Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 275  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 352861 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #5300 on: April 03, 2023, 02:53:46 pm »

In other words our positions are actually really close?

I guess? About taxation, I would also tax CO2 intensive consumption a lot harder than is currently done, consumption in general harder than is currently done, wages relatively lightly, inheritance relatively heavily, and capital income extremely progressively such that low amounts of capital income are lighter taxed than wages or even tax-free, and at the high end, it should get close-ish to a hard limit on how much capital income a person can earn.

I approximated all these correct positions without reading the news!

I also have a pretty good idea which of these are feasible to implement in the current political climate in Finland!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5301 on: April 03, 2023, 04:02:12 pm »

Also, I definitely don't want to criminalize most forms of advertising.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: April 03, 2023, 04:40:16 pm »

what? why not? that's like the most important policy on the list

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5303 on: April 03, 2023, 05:02:56 pm »

Advertising is extremely useful, it lets people know about alternatives to big megacorporations. Meanwhile, big megacorporations don't have to advertise because they're already well known (they still do advertise e.g. to gain an advantage against each other, but they wouldn't have to if nobody was doing it). It's really hard to see how decentralization could be feasible without small businesses being able to advertise, and decentralization is FUCKING GREAT! This is what society needs!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: April 03, 2023, 05:28:23 pm »

Advertising is extremely useful, it lets people know about alternatives to big megacorporations. Meanwhile, big megacorporations don't have to advertise because they're already well known (they still do advertise e.g. to gain an advantage against each other, but they wouldn't have to if nobody was doing it). It's really hard to see how decentralization could be feasible without small businesses being able to advertise, and decentralization is FUCKING GREAT! This is what society needs!

We're not banning all advertising! We're banning obnoxious advertising (anything that flashes or pops up or deceives the user in any way) and maybe restricting advertising. I don't concede that this helps big corporations. It may hurt them if we flat out restrict how much $ any corporation can spend on ads. (Though idk if this is doable or could just be circumvented.) Like I don't know exactly how the policy should look like, but it's not "small businesses cannot make themselves known".

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: April 03, 2023, 05:30:13 pm »

It should achieve two things

- maximizing time-spent-on-platform seizes to be the incentive for platforms
- ads stop being so toxic that people hate them

Right now I couldn't see any ads of your band, for example, because I use adblock on both PC and mobile. If cancerous ads were banned, I'd probably stop

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5306 on: April 03, 2023, 05:43:46 pm »

(anything that flashes or pops up or deceives the user in any way)

Wait, we're talking about online advertising? Doesn't that just affect phoneposters?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: April 03, 2023, 06:25:44 pm »

there are offline ads? :o

uh what do you mean by phoneposters?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5308 on: April 03, 2023, 06:52:42 pm »

there are offline ads? :o

...yes? On TV, radio, newspapers, billboards, small posters on (the physical kind of) bulletin boards, flyers, etc. Just a few years ago, most advertising was offline.

uh what do you mean by phoneposters?

People who use their phones (as opposed to computers) for posting and hence can't use an ad blocker.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: April 04, 2023, 01:30:43 am »

- maximizing time-spent-on-platform seizes to be the incentive for platforms
I assume you mean "ceases" (usually I wouldn't correct spelling errors, but this one is very confusing).
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5310 on: April 04, 2023, 02:46:13 am »

...yes? On TV, radio, newspapers, billboards, small posters on (the physical kind of) bulletin boards, flyers, etc. Just a few years ago, most advertising was offline.

yes. the joke was supposed to be that I'm online too much to know offline ads. But I guess I'm not that online actually so mb it wasn't a good one.

People who use their phones (as opposed to computers) for posting and hence can't use an ad blocker.

I have an adblocker on my phone, too.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: April 04, 2023, 02:47:11 am »

I assume you mean "ceases" (usually I wouldn't correct spelling errors, but this one is very confusing).

well when I wrote that, my brain was like "hm I mix these two words up sometimes, so let's be careful... seizes not ceases. Yeah that looks right."

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: April 04, 2023, 03:56:33 am »

I don't think advertising is working as you intend. The vast majority of ads is from megacorporations. The way I find alternatives to megacorporations isn't via ads but rather through word-of-mouth, review aggregators, search engines or online marketplaces like Etsy.

It's probably reasonable to have localized advertisingto some extent. In general, people should only see ads if they actively choose to engage with them.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5313 on: April 04, 2023, 04:11:59 am »

I don't think advertising is working as you intend. The vast majority of ads is from megacorporations. The way I find alternatives to megacorporations isn't via ads but rather through word-of-mouth, review aggregators, search engines or online marketplaces like Etsy.

How do you get your small business known enough to have word-of-mouth, review aggregators and search engines bring more traffic to it without advertising?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: April 04, 2023, 04:27:15 am »

How do you get your small business known enough to have word-of-mouth, review aggregators and search engines bring more traffic to it without advertising?
Word-of-mouth has no lower threshold. If you have a physical store, then it will show up when people search for "X near me" no matter how well-known it already is, and of course you have a physical store front that people can see. If you have a purely online business, then you can use an online marketplace. Ideally these would be publicly owned and transparent in how you can get visibility.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: April 04, 2023, 04:40:36 am »

It's probably reasonable to have localized advertisingto some extent. In general, people should only see ads if they actively choose to engage with them.

yes, strongly endorse this. That's a good way to phrase the policy goal.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5316 on: April 04, 2023, 04:58:32 am »

Word-of-mouth has no lower threshold.

It kind of does, because most people who like a thing don't like it enough to recommend it to others, and most people who hear a recommendation don't check the thing out anyway. You need a large number of people to already like your business to get substantial benefits out of word-of-mouth.

If you have a physical store, then it will show up when people search for "X near me" no matter how well-known it already is, and of course you have a physical store front that people can see.

I would count a physical store front and SEO as forms of advertising.

If you have a purely online business, then you can use an online marketplace.

It still depends a lot on the type of product/service you're selling how well you're able to perform just based on the platform's recommendation algorithm. Most likely, the algorithm favors things that are already popular.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: April 04, 2023, 05:26:33 am »

It would probably help to get some concrete examples. What is a business that you only heard from through advertising?

Here is a story of how I imagine small stores to succeed, a real-life example if you will. We had a small Chinese restaurant near our old flat. It has an obscure name that doesn't make you think it's a restaurant at all, it's not open on weekends, and you can't see much from outside. We were passing by that place multiple times, wondering what it was. So eventually we googled them and found out what they are. Then we ordered food from there and it was amazing.
When we had our wedding, we chose them to do the catering. Thus all our friends were introduced to their food. We have since moved out of that flat into another one, and friends of ours who were at the wedding have moved into the old flat. They now know about that restaurant, and will eat there every now and again.
I'm pretty sure that restaurant never spent any significant amount of money on advertising.

I would count a physical store front and SEO as forms of advertising.
Well, then a physical store front is definitely the form of localized advertising I am okay with. SEO... well I don't like it much, but it seems hard to regulate. The ultimate solution is to get rid of the profit motive.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5318 on: April 04, 2023, 05:45:27 am »

It would probably help to get some concrete examples. What is a business that you only heard from through advertising?

DistroKid, GetGood Drums, NeuralDSP, Accusonus, Lewitt, Paiste, Solar Guitars, Ghosthack, URM Academy for example. I'm pretty sure there are others but I remember these ones at least.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: April 04, 2023, 05:51:36 am »

DistroKid, GetGood Drums, NeuralDSP, Accusonus, Lewitt, Paiste, Solar Guitars, Ghosthack, URM Academy for example. I'm pretty sure there are others but I remember these ones at least.
And did you just randomly stumble onto ads for these or did you seek out places where these might be advertised?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5320 on: April 04, 2023, 06:48:49 am »

And did you just randomly stumble onto ads for these or did you seek out places where these might be advertised?

Most of them I have seen in sponsored videos on YouTube channels I'm subscribed to, so I guess if subscribing to YouTube channels that sometimes do sponsored videos with companies counts as "seeking out places where these might be advertised" then it's the latter. Some were ads on Facebook at times when they updated how their ads worked and temporarily got through my ad blocking, and a physical Paiste ad in particular was shipped to me alongside some drum-related products I ordered like 15 years ago.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: April 04, 2023, 08:53:34 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: April 04, 2023, 11:04:38 am »

So two days ago, I saw Tár, and it was pretty incredible. Definitely never seen anything like it.

It's a movie about a female musical conductor, and after a some mysterious pre-credit stuff, it opens with (going by memory) about a 10 minute long interview, which feels so real that you think you're watching a documentary. It's all one still shot and the content is the kind of obscure classical music jargon that I'd expect from an actual interview, not the simplified, clearly foreshadowing thing I'd expect from a movie.

but then it goes on and no it is an actual movie with an actual story, and it's not even about a real person, the character is genuinely just made-up. And it becomes something very different from what you think it will be. It's very strange how the movie basically switches genres. And at first I was like, isn't giving a literal interview kind of a lazy way to do exposition, but given what the movie was actually about in the end, that complaint no longer applies.

It's also very long, like 2,5 hours. And it remains incredibly authentic throughout. I'm not a classical music expert, but you often can tell that something is a bad representation of an expert in a field, and with this movie, I believed everything. really incredibly performance. I'm guessing a lot of people would get bored, but I wasn't.

Haven't decided on a score yet, but either 8 or 9

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: April 04, 2023, 11:07:12 am »

I'm also slowly running out of new movies to watch or download . . . :(

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: April 04, 2023, 02:11:51 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 275  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 16 queries.