Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 346722 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #5250 on: April 03, 2023, 05:38:54 am »

There is this LessWrong article Well Kept Gardens Die By Pacifism about how refusing to moderate a platform will yield to total value loss of the platform.
I find this article very interesting. Like, I agree with it, but also I feel like this comes from a community that I associate with "free speech absolutism". The article is very specific about dealing with online communities, but it doesn't take much to generalize it to society at large, and then I feel like it would contradict a lot of the beliefs held by this crowd.

So either my opinion of the community is wrong, or else they would argue that this doesn't in fact generalize, but I'm not sure which one it is.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: April 03, 2023, 06:12:59 am »

I enjoy the movie take here btw. I don't tend to watch a lot of movies but I like to think that when I'm in the mood for one I can come here and find something good.

Have you seen Everything Everywhere All At Once? That move got very hyped and I don't really have a good prediction for how you would rate it, so I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Thanks! I did, yes. I gave it a 7, pretty close to an 8. I don't think it's super smart or anything, it's just a ton of fun to watch. I wasn't annoyed at anything and it just kept doing crazy things that were all entertaining. My favorite part was the universe with the two rocks.

It's kinda funny because Katja Grace had this post on LessWrong about the movie where to her it seemed like the worst, most pointless thing ever and she was asking other to explain what's so great about it -- and I really  don't have a great answer other than that it was entertaining. Also didn't think anyone else could really explain it. One person said it's all a metaphor for meditation, but I don't think I buy that. And I agree that the nihilism treatment and the drama are both really not special.

Although just showing a believable family dynamic is a bar most movies don't pass and this one definitely did.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: April 03, 2023, 06:24:34 am »

There is this LessWrong article Well Kept Gardens Die By Pacifism about how refusing to moderate a platform will yield to total value loss of the platform.
I find this article very interesting. Like, I agree with it, but also I feel like this comes from a community that I associate with "free speech absolutism". The article is very specific about dealing with online communities, but it doesn't take much to generalize it to society at large, and then I feel like it would contradict a lot of the beliefs held by this crowd.

So either my opinion of the community is wrong, or else they would argue that this doesn't in fact generalize, but I'm not sure which one it is.

Does free-speech absolutism mean that the government specifically should never ban any speech unless it's explicitly a call for violence, or that platforms shouldn't do this? If it's the second, I think that's wrong.

Going by past surveys, there are a lot of libertarian-leaning people in the community (afaik if you just ask whether people associate most with "democrat" "republican" or "libertarian", then the last one is a plurality), but it's also left-leaning (I know for some reason libertarian ideas are associated with the right in the USA). But what that gives you depends on where you apply it. You could say it's the libertarian thing for platforms not to censor, or you could say it's the libertarian thing for platforms to be able to do whatever the hell they want. I'm guessing most people would say the second thing. So as long as the government doesn't interfere, then e.g. twitter would be free to become anything, even a right wing propaganda machine, if it chooses to.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: April 03, 2023, 06:57:13 am »

Does free-speech absolutism mean that the government specifically should never ban any speech unless it's explicitly a call for violence, or that platforms shouldn't do this? If it's the second, I think that's wrong.
So you think it makes a difference whether it's the government or platforms? Why?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5254 on: April 03, 2023, 07:03:58 am »

I'm not a very active LW user so I'm not going to speak on their behalf, but I strongly agree with the article and I would argue that it does not generalize. It is, for example, not important that political discussions can be had on a specific platform, but it is important that they can be had somewhere, which is why it is completely fine if a specific platform bans all political discussion and completely unacceptable if the government does.

(I know for some reason libertarian ideas are associated with the right in the USA)

Because low taxes and minimal government involvement in the economy are, like, core right wing ideology. Hence both the Democrats and the Republicans are right wing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: April 03, 2023, 07:11:55 am »

Note that I meant "that's wrong" as in "that's not true for how the community thinks" though in this case I think I agree with the community. But now it comes apart because idk how others would justify the difference.

Me, there are two things that strike me as strongly dissimilar between the government and e.g. twitter. One is that if the government censors a correct view, the results are potentially catastrophic, so better not risk that and just be against any censorship. (Whereas if twitter does, you can still say the thing elsewhere.) The other is that platforms work like market to some extent, so if an idea is popular and twitter bans it, it should create an incentive for another platform to allow that view point.

I'm actually more in the not tolerating certain content camp than most, e.g. I think LessWrong should not touch any culture war issues ever, and there've been debates about this before.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: April 03, 2023, 07:16:33 am »

Because low taxes and minimal government involvement in the economy are, like, core right wing ideology. Hence both the Democrats and the Republicans are right wing.

Yeah, I don't think that LW people are for low taxes. I know that's a libertarian thing classically but I think that's a really stupid way to apply the libertarian ideas. Like the way that it makes sense is to basically think that large bureaucracies are really bad, and in many cases large government means more bureaucracy. But high taxes don't do that. *simplifying* the tax system is another thing, but unfortunately this is often used as an excuse for lowering them.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: April 03, 2023, 07:28:29 am »

I'm not a very active LW user so I'm not going to speak on their behalf, but I strongly agree with the article and I would argue that it does not generalize. It is, for example, not important that political discussions can be had on a specific platform, but it is important that they can be had somewhere, which is why it is completely fine if a specific platform bans all political discussion and completely unacceptable if the government does.
Me, there are two things that strike me as strongly dissimilar between the government and e.g. twitter. One is that if the government censors a correct view, the results are potentially catastrophic, so better not risk that and just be against any censorship. (Whereas if twitter does, you can still say the thing elsewhere.) The other is that platforms work like market to some extent, so if an idea is popular and twitter bans it, it should create an incentive for another platform to allow that view point.
I debate the meaningfulness of this distinction. If a specific platform bans political discussion, it can be had on another platform. If a specific country bans political discussion, it can be had in another country.

How viable each of those are depends not on the country/platform distinction but rather on the size of each and ease of moving elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 07:30:54 am by faust »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5258 on: April 03, 2023, 08:15:45 am »

Yeah, I don't think that LW people are for low taxes. I know that's a libertarian thing classically but I think that's a really stupid way to apply the libertarian ideas. Like the way that it makes sense is to basically think that large bureaucracies are really bad, and in many cases large government means more bureaucracy. But high taxes don't do that. *simplifying* the tax system is another thing, but unfortunately this is often used as an excuse for lowering them.

It's not a stupid way to apply the libertarian ideas. Obviously if you want the state to have less control over people's lives in general, letting people decide how they spend their own money rather than having the state take some of it to control how it's spent is working towards that goal.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5259 on: April 03, 2023, 08:27:45 am »

I debate the meaningfulness of this distinction. If a specific platform bans political discussion, it can be had on another platform. If a specific country bans political discussion, it can be had in another country.

How viable each of those are depends not on the country/platform distinction but rather on the size of each and ease of moving elsewhere.

There is still the difference that countries are tied to physical places on Earth, of which there is a limited amount, and everywhere is already occupied by one of the existing countries. Meanwhile, there is no limit to how many websites can exist. If you don't like any of the existing websites, you can just make your own website; if you don't like any of the existing countries, you can't just start a new independent country.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: April 03, 2023, 08:37:45 am »

There is still the difference that countries are tied to physical places on Earth, of which there is a limited amount, and everywhere is already occupied by one of the existing countries. Meanwhile, there is no limit to how many websites can exist. If you don't like any of the existing websites, you can just make your own website; if you don't like any of the existing countries, you can't just start a new independent country.
I don't think that's relevant. You can start a website, yes, but we are talking about platforms. If your website is supposed to be a platform, then it doesn't help that you can buy a website; you actually need a critical mass of people to be there.

So in the realm of countries, this would be more analogous to starting a separatist movement, and those do exist and have been successful in the past.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: April 03, 2023, 08:55:46 am »

It's not a stupid way to apply the libertarian ideas. Obviously if you want the state to have less control over people's lives in general, letting people decide how they spend their own money rather than having the state take some of it to control how it's spent is working towards that goal.

If the metric you care about is how much control the state has, yes. I think the metric that LW people tend to care about (and certainly the one I care about) is how much of a bureaucracy it creates. I guess there isn't really a term for this. Negative Bureaucracy Liberatarianism rather than Control Utilitarianism!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: April 03, 2023, 08:58:40 am »

I'm think this "more control/individualism = good" thing is very non-obvious. Arguably people can be very happy feeling like they're part of a greater thing, and I can imagine a society where the state has a much greater role than it does in Germany or the USA to work really well.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: April 03, 2023, 08:59:09 am »

Control Utilitarianism!

*control libertarianism

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5264 on: April 03, 2023, 09:06:24 am »

I don't think that's relevant. You can start a website, yes, but we are talking about platforms. If your website is supposed to be a platform, then it doesn't help that you can buy a website; you actually need a critical mass of people to be there.

So in the realm of countries, this would be more analogous to starting a separatist movement, and those do exist and have been successful in the past.

You don't actually need a critical mass of people to be there. Any number of people who are interested in discussing something that's banned on Twitter can start their own platform and then they'll get to discuss that thing there.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5265 on: April 03, 2023, 09:10:27 am »

I'm think this "more control/individualism = good" thing is very non-obvious. Arguably people can be very happy feeling like they're part of a greater thing, and I can imagine a society where the state has a much greater role than it does in Germany or the USA to work really well.

The thing is that people have to actually feel like they're part of a greater thing for that to work, which they won't if they don't have any control over anything.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: April 03, 2023, 09:13:58 am »

If the metric you care about is how much control the state has, yes. I think the metric that LW people tend to care about (and certainly the one I care about) is how much of a bureaucracy it creates. I guess there isn't really a term for this. Negative Bureaucracy Liberatarianism rather than Control Utilitarianism!
I'm just not sure how useful a metric this is. Noone is in favor of more bureaucracy for bureaucracy's sake. I don't think it makes any sense to have an ideology just for that. The question is, what are you willing to give up in order to achieve less bureaucracy?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: April 03, 2023, 09:17:03 am »

You don't actually need a critical mass of people to be there. Any number of people who are interested in discussing something that's banned on Twitter can start their own platform and then they'll get to discuss that thing there.
This is very reductive. It might be true if we were talking about some messenger app like WhatsApp, but Twitter is a social media platform and you post there because you want your ideas to reach a lot of people. That just cannot happen if you move somewhere else.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: April 03, 2023, 09:18:36 am »

I'm just not sure how useful a metric this is. Noone is in favor of more bureaucracy for bureaucracy's sake. I don't think it makes any sense to have an ideology just for that. The question is, what are you willing to give up in order to achieve less bureaucracy?

Right, it's about how much you penalize bureaucracy, and I'm saying penalize it a lot. not infinitely, but very highly. I think this is very different from how most people approach policy.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: April 03, 2023, 09:25:01 am »

I mean the actual ideology is just utilitarianism. Everything else is a question of results. And as a general rule, I think bureaucracies are a lot more bad than most people think

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: April 03, 2023, 09:42:11 am »

If all countries had open borders and the cost of traveling were cheaper (both $ cost and cost of leaving stuff behind), then there'd be a lot to this argument

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: April 03, 2023, 09:51:42 am »

Right, it's about how much you penalize bureaucracy, and I'm saying penalize it a lot. not infinitely, but very highly. I think this is very different from how most people approach policy.
So are you in favor of police abolition?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: April 03, 2023, 10:09:00 am »

no, that's a case where some bureaucracy seems to be required. You gotta enforce the law

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: April 03, 2023, 10:24:21 am »

no, that's a case where some bureaucracy seems to be required. You gotta enforce the law
And here we see how you question buraeaucracy only in areas where it's ideologically convenient for you.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: April 03, 2023, 10:50:24 am »

And here we see how you question buraeaucracy only in areas where it's ideologically convenient for you.

that seems very uncharitable. I said that you should value the BMV (bureaucracy-minimizing vector) very highly but not infinitely, so yeah there are cases where you go in the direction opposite to the BMV. This doesn't prove anything. It's not even surprising since you pick one policy from a very large set.

Analogously, suppose I put the pdf (1-p)^3, suitably normalized, over the interval [0,1]. I declare that my pdf strongly prefers values close to 0. You look at 100 sampled values and pick the largest one, which is 0.93733444888. You then declare that I dont care about small values unless I'm ideologically incentivized to

Or more practically, I think minimizing bureaucracy is a pretty obvious constant behind my policy views. Here are some of them

- have the most draconian CO2 tax anyone has ever seen
- UBI or low-wage subsidies
- remove most welfare programs (not all)
- have a high tax on purchased goods, especially non-essential ones, especially especially luxury goods
- remove most other taxes (not all)
- open borders
- legalize all drugs and tax them as high as possible without seriously incentivizing a black market
- criminalize most forms of advertising

What is the single principle that most closely approximates this list of not "minimize bureaucracy?" Note that I deliberately included the final point which increases bureaucracy as another example of where we go against the BMV. (Do not abolish the police isn't something that would have occured to me bc it seems very obvious that you do need the police.)
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.