Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 275  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 352804 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #5275 on: April 03, 2023, 10:51:49 am »

Also I'm very curious what ideology you think I have if not minimizing bureaucracy

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: April 03, 2023, 10:52:52 am »

oh also lower the voting age to 0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: April 03, 2023, 10:57:49 am »

- remove all minimum wage laws

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: April 03, 2023, 11:15:30 am »

The dream would be a society where you can employ someone without any obstacles. You just sign a contract and they start working, and as long as no one thinks it got violated, the state does not get involved at all.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: April 03, 2023, 11:17:33 am »

I have numbered these for ease of reference.
1. have the most draconian CO2 tax anyone has ever seen
2. UBI or low-wage subsidies
3. remove most welfare programs (not all)
4. have a high tax on purchased goods, especially non-essential ones, especially especially luxury goods
5. remove most other taxes (not all)
6. open borders
7. legalize all drugs and tax them as high as possible without seriously incentivizing a black market
8. criminalize most forms of advertising
1. is against the BMV
2. is against the BMV (not having this would be less bureaucracy)
3. is aligned with the BMV
4. is against the BMV (especially so with the distinction essential vs non-essential vs luxury)
5. is aligned with the BMV
6. depends. Open borders would probably require some form of bilateral agreement with all other countries, unless everything is organized under a world government, but then that is also not really aligned with the BMV.
7. Legalization is aligned with the BMV, taxation isn't
8. is against the BMV

Based in this sample, I would question that you prioritize the BMV particularly highly.

What is the single principle that most closely approximates this list of not "minimize bureaucracy?"
I don't know but I don't think "minimize bureaucracy" does any better than, say, "make sure rich people remain rich in perpetuity".

Do not abolish the police isn't something that would have occured to me bc it seems very obvious that you do need the police.
I mean what seems obvious to you probably says the most about your ideological background. It doesn't seem obvious to me.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5280 on: April 03, 2023, 11:52:48 am »

1. have the most draconian CO2 tax anyone has ever seen
2. UBI or low-wage subsidies
3. remove most welfare programs (not all)
1. is against the BMV
2. is against the BMV (not having this would be less bureaucracy)
3. is aligned with the BMV

Oh come on. Saying UBI is against the BMV is like saying nuclear reactors are against the "minimize CO2 worry" norm because they produce CO2. We need to have redistribution, and among all the ways that do redistribution, UBI is the one with the least amount of bureaucracy, which is why I like it.

Ditto with 7 (you need a way to generate income, and taxing drugs is a low-bureaucracy way to do it), ditto with 4 (this tax requires less bureaucracy than any other tax afai,, which is why I like it)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: April 03, 2023, 11:53:39 am »

I refuse to believe that you can honestly look at this list and not agree that the overall package aligns really closely with reducing bureaucracy

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: April 03, 2023, 11:54:19 am »

And ditto 1, we need to fight climate change and taxing CO2 is one of the simpler ways to do it, and it also generates income

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: April 03, 2023, 12:09:26 pm »

I refuse to believe that you can honestly look at this list and not agree that the overall package aligns really closely with reducing bureaucracy

Especially because it's *also* what I'm telling you. I mean we're literally only debating my personal motivation here, not whether any of these policies are a good idea, and I have some privileged access into what my motivation is. So even I were wrong about a VAT being much simpler than another tax, it wouldn't matter. And if I did think another tax was simpler, I'd probably prefer that one.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5284 on: April 03, 2023, 12:24:33 pm »

Oh come on. Saying UBI is against the BMV is like saying nuclear reactors are against the "minimize CO2 worry" norm because they produce CO2. We need to have redistribution, and among all the ways that do redistribution, UBI is the one with the least amount of bureaucracy, which is why I like it.

We don't actually need to have redistribution. I agree that we should, but that's an ideological position; the extent to which we should have it is also debatable.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: April 03, 2023, 12:30:22 pm »

We don't actually need to have redistribution. I agree that we should, but that's an ideological position; the extent to which we should have it is also debatable.

sure, but given that I think we definitely need redistribution -- a lot more than we have rn in fact -- would you agree that UBI is one of the less bureaucracy-y ways to do it?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5286 on: April 03, 2023, 12:30:33 pm »

This is very reductive. It might be true if we were talking about some messenger app like WhatsApp, but Twitter is a social media platform and you post there because you want your ideas to reach a lot of people. That just cannot happen if you move somewhere else.

Sure, but freedom of speech does not give you the right to a large audience, it only gives you the right to say whatever you want to the people who actually want to hear it, and to those people it gives the right to hear what you're saying. As long as you aren't getting censored by Internet infrastructure providing companies, that works out exactly as it should.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: April 03, 2023, 12:31:46 pm »

(and even if not, am I really lying about thinking so?)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5288 on: April 03, 2023, 12:34:44 pm »

This is very reductive. It might be true if we were talking about some messenger app like WhatsApp, but Twitter is a social media platform and you post there because you want your ideas to reach a lot of people. That just cannot happen if you move somewhere else.

Sure, but freedom of speech does not give you the right to a large audience, it only gives you the right to say whatever you want to the people who actually want to hear it, and to those people it gives the right to hear what you're saying. As long as you aren't getting censored by Internet infrastructure providing companies, that works out exactly as it should.

That being said, I do think there is a spectrum there — the larger and less specific a community is, the more of a social responsibility it should have to protect unpopular but legal speech there, at least to some semi-reasonable extent, and instead provide tools for individual users to block topics/users they don't want to see in their feeds. That shouldn't be enforced by the state though, but rather, by the users.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5289 on: April 03, 2023, 12:37:42 pm »

sure, but given that I think we definitely need redistribution -- a lot more than we have rn in fact -- would you agree that UBI is one of the less bureaucracy-y ways to do it?

Yes, and I basically think the state should stop spending money on most things that aren't UBI (excluding stuff like military, the justice system, etc that would actually be highly questionable to organize through a free market, but including stuff like health care and education where the only problem with free markets is that poor people can't afford it at its market price, which the UBI is supposed to fix) and channel all of that money into UBI instead.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: April 03, 2023, 12:41:46 pm »

To expand on the vector image, we can think of politics as an optimization problem; you want to optimize results under a set of given constraints.

We may model this such that amount of bureaucracy is the variable you'd like to minimize. But that's not interesting to me; practically everyone would want to minimize for that. It's not an ideological position. I am more interested in the constraints we put on that optimization problem. And here we learn something about your ideology:
you do need the police.
We need to have redistribution
we need to fight climate change

All of these for me say more about your ideology than "I want to minimize bureaucracy".

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: April 03, 2023, 12:47:50 pm »

That being said, I do think there is a spectrum there — the larger and less specific a community is, the more of a social responsibility it should have to protect unpopular but legal speech there, at least to some semi-reasonable extent, and instead provide tools for individual users to block topics/users they don't want to see in their feeds. That shouldn't be enforced by the state though, but rather, by the users.
Well, we at least can agree that there is a spectrum. I don't think it's reasonable to put the onus on the users who don't have the power to enforce anything. Or said differently, I would put the onus on the users but also give them the tools to implement this by expropriating commercially owned platforms and making the users the owners.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: April 03, 2023, 12:49:27 pm »

To expand on the vector image, we can think of politics as an optimization problem; you want to optimize results under a set of given constraints.

We may model this such that amount of bureaucracy is the variable you'd like to minimize. But that's not interesting to me; practically everyone would want to minimize for that. It's not an ideological position. I am more interested in the constraints we put on that optimization problem. And here we learn something about your ideology:
you do need the police.
We need to have redistribution
we need to fight climate change

All of these for me say more about your ideology than "I want to minimize bureaucracy".

ok, that's fair. I don't disagree with this characterization. But like these constraints all seem pretty basic to me.

Like if you start from a very large overton window, then yeah these principles do most of the lifting. But like usually I think the windows is much smaller, and then the main questoin is how you navigate in that window.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: April 03, 2023, 12:50:10 pm »

Yes, and I basically think the state should stop spending money on most things that aren't UBI (excluding stuff like military, the justice system, etc that would actually be highly questionable to organize through a free market, but including stuff like health care and education where the only problem with free markets is that poor people can't afford it at its market price, which the UBI is supposed to fix) and channel all of that money into UBI instead.

In other words our positions are actually really close?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: April 03, 2023, 12:54:16 pm »

Nitpicking terminology, I don't think these are my ideology. There's an extremely strong utilitarian argument for redistribution because of the diminishing returns of wealth. Letting Climate change do its thing also seems like it has very bad consequences for a lot of people. Police is the most arguable one but I don't really have a model of how else you could have a society that works, I could maybe be convinced there. So if you really care about ideology, I think it starts and ends with valence utilitarianism

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5295 on: April 03, 2023, 01:59:17 pm »

Nitpicking terminology, I don't think these are my ideology. There's an extremely strong utilitarian argument for redistribution because of the diminishing returns of wealth. Letting Climate change do its thing also seems like it has very bad consequences for a lot of people. Police is the most arguable one but I don't really have a model of how else you could have a society that works, I could maybe be convinced there. So if you really care about ideology, I think it starts and ends with valence utilitarianism
I grant that some of these points can be traced back to a different ideological base. However I don't think your ideology starts and ends with valence utilitarianism, at the very least it includes capitalism. Multiple of the above points presuppose a capitalist system.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5296 on: April 03, 2023, 02:01:01 pm »

Well, we at least can agree that there is a spectrum. I don't think it's reasonable to put the onus on the users who don't have the power to enforce anything.

They have the power to leave and use a different platform (or indeed make their own platform if necessary). A lot of people use other platforms instead of Twitter and they're completely fine. I'm guessing usually it's actually because Twitter censors less speech than they would prefer and not because it censors too much, but I digress.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: April 03, 2023, 02:01:50 pm »

Like if you start from a very large overton window, then yeah these principles do most of the lifting. But like usually I think the windows is much smaller, and then the main questoin is how you navigate in that window.
The is probably true by the way. Probably a result of myself being pretty far on the fringes of the current overton window.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5298 on: April 03, 2023, 02:07:52 pm »

I guess? About taxation, I would also tax CO2 intensive consumption a lot harder than is currently done, consumption in general harder than is currently done, wages relatively lightly, inheritance relatively heavily, and capital income extremely progressively such that low amounts of capital income are lighter taxed than wages or even tax-free, and at the high end, it should get close-ish to a hard limit on how much capital income a person can earn.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: April 03, 2023, 02:11:31 pm »

I guess? About taxation, I would also tax CO2 intensive consumption a lot harder than is currently done, consumption in general harder than is currently done, wages relatively lightly, inheritance relatively heavily, and capital income extremely progressively such that low amounts of capital income are lighter taxed than wages or even tax-free, and at the high end, it should get close-ish to a hard limit on how much capital income a person can earn.

I approximated all these correct positions without reading the news!
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 275  All

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 16 queries.