Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 274  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 352070 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #4750 on: January 03, 2023, 10:32:48 am »

Biden is at 23% vs 32% of DeSantis. I think if I had money to gamble and access to a functional market, I'd buy DeSantis shares. Biden vs. DeSantis just seems hopeless. And I'm not even sure if it's a bad thing if DeSantis wins.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: January 03, 2023, 12:02:15 pm »

And I'm not even sure if it's a bad thing if DeSantis wins.
What the fuck.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: January 03, 2023, 12:08:31 pm »

I mean having an 80yo president is super not good

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: January 03, 2023, 12:09:01 pm »

If someone else gets nominated, totally different story

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4754 on: January 03, 2023, 01:47:50 pm »

It is absolutely a bad thing if DeSantis wins. He's not the biggest possible disaster but basically his only issue he has an actual good take on is gun rights, on other issues he ranges from horrible to borderline acceptable at best.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: January 03, 2023, 01:53:59 pm »

It is absolutely a bad thing if DeSantis wins. He's not the biggest possible disaster but basically his only issue he has an actual good take on is gun rights, on other issues he ranges from horrible to borderline acceptable at best.

Ok, but (and I realize I didn't say this) I was only talking about DeSantis vs Biden.

If you went back to when Obama was still president and told me the next one is DeSantis, yeah that would be horrible news

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: January 03, 2023, 01:55:32 pm »

Maybe I'm too worried but there's something just really wrong about putting someone this old in charge. If it were Biden but 50yo, again no problem

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4757 on: January 03, 2023, 02:43:53 pm »

There's the vice president if something happens to the main one.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: January 03, 2023, 03:40:05 pm »

Why exactly is it bad if a president is old?

Biden is certainly not my favorite but the age doesn't really matter to me. Bernie would have been much better despite being about the same age.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: January 03, 2023, 10:43:40 pm »

There's the vice president if something happens to the main one.

If the thing that happens is tangible, sure. If he is just senile, not so much. (Also the presumptive democratic vice president kinda sucks.)

I begrudgingly admit that this is probably not sufficient reason to favor DeSantis, but having a senile president feels really dystopian to me.

I would also favor Bernie, while he looks worse, he seems more mentally fit. But I'd take most younger people for either.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: January 03, 2023, 10:44:32 pm »

And the other thing is that if things were reversed, I know I'd point to the Republican's age and mental decline as a reason to favor Democrats

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: January 04, 2023, 02:42:52 am »

Better a senile president than a fascist one, is my general rule for life.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: January 05, 2023, 02:00:26 pm »

The first three episodes of Wednesday are genuinely incredible. The second half is much weaker, alas.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: January 05, 2023, 03:07:19 pm »

The first three episodes of Wednesday are genuinely incredible. The second half is much weaker, alas.
Ah, okay. I was slightly surprised about your praise, but it makes sense, the first episodes were better.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: January 05, 2023, 06:16:03 pm »

I'd still give it a solid 8 overall. I just appreciate the main character so much. Usually when you have someone who's thing is that they're cynical, the characterization is a strawman. (Ditto most other highly unusual people.) Wednesday feels like a real person. Yes, she's also compeletely overpowered and many of the anecdotes are over the top, but her actual actions throughout the series are for the most part completely logical. It's everyone else who's being stupid and wasting time on things that don't matter; she's just trying to find the monster. I do love people who decide on the best thing to do and then to that thing, without all the usual bs.

Also, the cello scenes in e1 and e3. That was perfection.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: January 05, 2023, 06:16:28 pm »

Don't know anything else about the franchise, I know there are books or something and other shows, but I've never looked into anything.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: January 05, 2023, 06:37:59 pm »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: January 06, 2023, 04:37:09 am »

I'd still give it a solid 8 overall. I just appreciate the main character so much. Usually when you have someone who's thing is that they're cynical, the characterization is a strawman. (Ditto most other highly unusual people.) Wednesday feels like a real person. Yes, she's also compeletely overpowered and many of the anecdotes are over the top, but her actual actions throughout the series are for the most part completely logical. It's everyone else who's being stupid and wasting time on things that don't matter; she's just trying to find the monster. I do love people who decide on the best thing to do and then to that thing, without all the usual bs.

Well, I like the aesthetics, and as such I agree that the cello scenes are awesome. I have issues with Wednesday's characterization though. I would have liked it to go one of two ways: She remains the cynical genius psychopath throughout (which I think would be most in line with the franchise, though I haven't watched much Addams Family), or else she realizes that she's not as special as she thinks and has to come to terms with the fact that's she's just a normal teenager like everyone else.

The show, I feel, tries to have it both ways: She keeps her cynical comments and genius but also learns the value of friendship (a cliche if ever there was one). Which gives neither interesting character growth nor a true outsider, but just a kind of run-of-the-mill Tim Burton character.

That's my main complaint. There are some smaller gripes, like the kind of desperate attempts at allegory (Enid's whole trans werewolf arc for example), or some weird plot contrivances. It's still entertaining enough but if I'd have to give a rating, it would probably not exceed a 6.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: January 06, 2023, 05:18:17 am »

Well, I like the aesthetics, and as such I agree that the cello scenes are awesome. I have issues with Wednesday's characterization though. I would have liked it to go one of two ways: She remains the cynical genius psychopath throughout (which I think would be most in line with the franchise, though I haven't watched much Addams Family), or else she realizes that she's not as special as she thinks and has to come to terms with the fact that's she's just a normal teenager like everyone else.

If they committed to the latter, I'd call total bullshit. Based on the early episodes, for all intents and purposes, she is as special as she thinks she is. There's no instance of her overestimating herself or getting into trouble out of hubris; the only stupid choice she does make imo is trust too much in her visions, and the plot gives here a pass on that one (which I thought was really bad).

Aside from the fact that it's a cliche, what's wrong with learning that treating other people better is a good idea? Like, if I had to give her advice, this would be among it. Not saying that it was handled great, it wasn't, and we probably agree on the stuff in your smaller gripes, but the direction itself seems ok.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: January 06, 2023, 05:20:35 am »

It depends on how far they go with it in the second season which we'll almost certainly have. Getting a phone is a totally fine thing to do, but if she starts to go onto social media, for instance, yes they will have retroactively ruined it

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: January 06, 2023, 07:52:23 am »

If they committed to the latter, I'd call total bullshit. Based on the early episodes, for all intents and purposes, she is as special as she thinks she is. There's no instance of her overestimating herself or getting into trouble out of hubris; the only stupid choice she does make imo is trust too much in her visions, and the plot gives here a pass on that one (which I thought was really bad).
Yeah, if they went with that option the show would have to be completely different, including the earlier episodes.

Aside from the fact that it's a cliche, what's wrong with learning that treating other people better is a good idea? Like, if I had to give her advice, this would be among it. Not saying that it was handled great, it wasn't, and we probably agree on the stuff in your smaller gripes, but the direction itself seems ok.
What mostly annoys me is the fact that it is a cliche. It also plays into an annoying stereotype that smart people must have some sort of social ineptitude.

By the end of season 1 I feel like Wednesday has become way too smooth, like going from a proper outcast to some slightly edgy teen with superpowers whose cynicism is just performance, and that is boring to me.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: January 06, 2023, 09:53:20 am »

So I admit the trans angle hasn't occurred to me at all. And after reading an article about it, I'm not convinced. Beware of overfitting random patterns.

If it is intentional, yeah it's not very good.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: January 06, 2023, 09:54:47 am »

Certainly her character is totally fine without the implication.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: January 06, 2023, 09:58:19 am »

(her hair is solid evidence, the rest I've seen seems far-fetched)

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: January 06, 2023, 09:59:52 am »

So I admit the trans angle hasn't occurred to me at all. And after reading an article about it, I'm not convinced. Beware of overfitting random patterns.

If it is intentional, yeah it's not very good.
Well her parents literally want to send her to conversion therapy. I don't think it gets more on the nose than that (could also apply to homosexuality of course).
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 274  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 16 queries.