Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 345771 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #4700 on: December 15, 2022, 02:20:00 am »

On topic: I found a pretty decent necro on BGG: over two years just to answer a rules question that was already correctly answered.

Nowhere near as good as the 11-year necro to let someone who had been inactive for years know that Kant never said the quote they had in their signature from the SQL server forums though, that one is the best I've ever seen by far.

Lovely demonstration that people's true motivations usually have little to do with helping others.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: December 15, 2022, 02:47:21 am »

but why does the bonus damage not stack?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4702 on: December 15, 2022, 04:42:27 am »

Lovely demonstration that people's true motivations usually have little to do with helping others.

The same effect happens on f.ds a lot too, someone asks a rules question, someone answers it, and then a bunch of other people chime in with some irrelevant tangents about other rules questions or edge cases the OP didn't actually ask about, presumably mostly to feel good about themselves. It's just not as blatant when this all happens within a few days, almost as if the conversation just naturally flowed that way.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: December 15, 2022, 05:05:16 am »

I actually had a less cynical view on f.ds, where people are self-aware and just do it because talking about rules is fun rather than for signaling. Just because this particular forum has the "cares a lot about rules" meme.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: December 15, 2022, 05:06:00 am »

If true, it would also be not-for-helping-the-person-who-asked, but without the pretense.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: December 15, 2022, 05:07:26 am »

So I got up at 6:30 AM today to shovel snow, for the first time in my life because usually there is no snow (RIP planet). But no one else was doing it! I thought it was like super important to make the path to your house free and you risk a fine

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: December 17, 2022, 06:26:14 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: December 18, 2022, 05:54:10 am »

I only now realized that the "champions are freed from end-of-year exams" thing makes absolutely no sense. They're all seventh-graders. That's the year where the exams are used to apply for work. I don't think "well I don't have a grade because I was champion that year" is an excuse employers will be happy with.

It only makes sense for Harry, who supposedly wasn't expected to participate. Weird how that works!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: December 18, 2022, 06:53:23 am »

So I've been attending a chess club in the past few weeks. The level of play is all over the place, from far worse than me to far better than me.

A somewhat annoying thing is that many people who are better are too polite to criticize your moves openly. You can say something like "this wasn't a good move, was it?" and they'll give some vague answer.

This probably makes them a more pleasant person in many respects, but for this particular context, it's extremely unhelpful. By far the most useful game was the one on my first day, playing against a guy who's very strong and kinda arrogant; probably someone I wouldn't want to be friends with. Well, in this context, those qualities are great. Because he just told me what's wrong with my play instead of worrying about not being rude.

Of course, it is possible to separate the two; you can have social skills while still being direct in the context of chess. But so far, I haven't met anyone who actually is like that. Seems like that's a rather high standard.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: December 18, 2022, 06:55:57 am »

This is further complicated by the factor that many people probably don't want to have their play criticized. But I really do. That's the main point of going there; I can get the "feel good about being skilled at the game" vibes much more efficiently online.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4710 on: December 18, 2022, 08:33:51 am »

This is fascinating.

So there's this "steamed hams" thing from the simpsons that became a meme for some reason, and people made hundreds of variations of it.

but that's not the fascinating part, I'm rather intrigued by how dialogue sounds in C Major

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4711 on: December 18, 2022, 09:39:19 am »

I only now realized that the "champions are freed from end-of-year exams" thing makes absolutely no sense. They're all seventh-graders. That's the year where the exams are used to apply for work. I don't think "well I don't have a grade because I was champion that year" is an excuse employers will be happy with.

It only makes sense for Harry, who supposedly wasn't expected to participate. Weird how that works!

I doubt Rowling thought this far, but the tournament is a big event that gets a lot of publicity, presumably employers would have an idea how qualified the champions are from having seen how they perform in practical scenarios, which is probably far more useful than knowing their school grades.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: December 18, 2022, 11:19:36 am »

Maybe, but this would require am amount of common sense that most employers in the real world don't have, I think.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4713 on: December 18, 2022, 12:04:48 pm »

Maybe, but this would require am amount of common sense that most employers in the real world don't have, I think.

I think most employers on the private sector do have that common sense.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: December 18, 2022, 07:35:38 pm »

Well. It seems like Musk's reign over twitter will be short-lived.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1604617643973124097

That is, if you think he'll stick to his word. Which I do.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: December 18, 2022, 07:49:50 pm »

Just talked to ChatGPT for the first time, and I'm... not very impressed. I know I'm biased to say this, but it really doesn't seem to understand what I'm saying.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: December 18, 2022, 07:53:05 pm »

Maybe it's because I made it ran into the the safety patch, but it seemed kinda less smart than regular GPT-3 was.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: December 19, 2022, 03:51:02 pm »

Sometimes, Grammerly has really funny ideas.

"The word flame appears repeatedly in this text. Consider replacing it. Suggestions: Love, Pet."

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: December 19, 2022, 03:51:27 pm »

I accidentally misspelled Grammarly

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: December 19, 2022, 03:52:48 pm »

IT'S BECAUSE GRAMMARLY USES A RULE-BASED APPROACH BASED ON NEURAL NETWORKS RATHER THAN AN ANALOG APPROACH BASED ON FORCES WHERE INTELLIGENT BEHAVIOR IS AN EMERGENT PROPERTY RATHER THAN DESIGNED EXPLICITLY

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: December 20, 2022, 04:04:18 am »

ENFJs are idealist organizers, driven to implement their vision of what is best for humanity. They often act as catalysts for human growth because of their ability to see potential in other people and their charisma in persuading others to their ideas. They are focused on values and vision, and are passionate about the possibilities for people.

ENFJs are typically energetic and driven, and often have a lot on their plates. They are tuned into the needs of others and acutely aware of human suffering; however, they also tend to be optimistic and forward-thinking, intuitively seeing opportunity for improvement. The ENFJ is ambitious, but their ambition is not self-serving: rather, they feel personally responsible for making the world a better place.

I think this would be the personality type of Primrose, and it's not a bad description.

Though, one problem with these summaries is that they all sound really positive because ofc you can't make a personality type sound bad. But it sorta leaves out part of the story. Like, you'd think that all people are wonderful with great potential

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: December 20, 2022, 07:07:33 am »

So here's what I'm gonna do. I'll take the test and answer like I think she would, and then let's see if we get ENFJ

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: December 20, 2022, 07:19:51 am »

Pretty much! I got it's E?FJ, with the second at exactly 50%.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: December 20, 2022, 07:20:45 am »

That kind of makes me want to try for real people as well.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: December 21, 2022, 05:26:41 am »

So to push back against my earlier self, chatgpt is hella impressive, just about philosophy. Which is not actually surprising because how could it be good by learning from human input?

But for technical stuff -- woah. E.g.,

me:

> Can you write me a python program that replaces all curly quotes in a text with straight quotes?

Chat-GPT:

import re

def replace_curly_quotes(text):
  # Replace all instances of left curly quotes (‘ and ’) with straight quotes (')
  text = re.sub(r'[‘’]', "'", text)

# Replace all instances of right curly quotes (“ and ”) with straight quotes (")
  text = re.sub(r'[“”]', '"', text)

return text

# Test the function with a sample string
sample_string = "This is a test string with curly quotes: “Hello, world!”"
print(replace_curly_quotes(sample_string))

---

The comments are misleading because the two commands are about single vs. double quotes rather than left vs. right, but the code is correct (and I've tested it, too; it works).
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.